What's new

AOS non-tallow formula? SAY IT AIN"T SO!

AoS was acquired by Proctor & Gamble in 2009. I assume the reformulation is due to this and P&G trying to cut costs, even though AoS is positioned as a high-end brand.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The end is nigh, that is some bad,bad news my friends. That is a palm oil based soap.

:mad2:

We need to call their consumer comment line and let them have an ear full. I know how P&G operates, they claim to be the best, but work very hard at only being just a little better than the next best (which frequently means taking it down a notch).

AoS was acquired by Proctor & Gamble in 2009. I assume the reformulation is due to this and P&G trying to cut costs, even though AoS is positioned as a high-end brand.

I wonder if they're anticipating a drop in revenue to go with their cost cutting. Because unless this new soap is excellent, they will get one.

I wonder if they're anticipating a drop in revenue to go with their cost cutting. Because unless this new soap is excellent, they will get one.
I'm sure it'll be reformulated again, if that happens. With the accompanying price hike, I'm assuming they're trying to up their margins on shave soaps. I wonder if they're reformulating the creams too, and how those compare if they already have.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So who's going to take one for the team and take a $30 gamble on this new formula?

They should buy one, use it for one shave and then return it and complain that it's not the same. Also call the P&G number and complain that way too. If sales drop the only way they will know why is if they get calls and complaints.

I already bought one (that's how i have the box), unfortunately i haven't been wet shaving for very long, so I can't really compare it to anything. I'm still trying to perfect the technique, so I can't really say if it's the soap or if it's me. Also, the only other thing I've used is the new Proraso green in the tube. It does lather up pretty easily though, I remember the first time I used it I thought to myself "I don't quite understand why everyone on B&B says triple-milled soaps are tougher to lather, this was pretty easy."

Look, I love AOS soap as much as anyone. And yes, this sucks. But Valobra itself has not gone out of business so it's not like we're losing a soap entirely. And remember that this is P&G. When's the last time consumer outcry worked in the wetshaving world? Lavanda cream? Something tells me that Arch Brito is more susceptible to this sort of thing than a company that sells a battery-powered rotating brush and a pack or Merkur blades for $12.

There's still lots of tallow stock out there probably. When it's exhausted (which will probably be awhile), you can either not buy the new soap. or mill a refill together with a Valobra stick in a bowl, problem solved.

Look, I love AOS soap as much as anyone. And yes, this sucks. But Valobra itself has not gone out of business so it's not like we're losing a soap entirely. And remember that this is P&G. When's the last time consumer outcry worked in the wetshaving world? Lavanda cream? Something tells me that Arch Brito is more susceptible to this sort of thing than a company that sells a battery-powered rotating brush and a pack or Merkur blades for $12.

There's still lots of tallow stock out there probably. When it's exhausted (which will probably be awhile), you can either not buy the new soap. or mill a refill together with a Valobra stick in a bowl, problem solved.

Good point. P&G/AOS likely had a pretty restrictive do not compete contract with Valobra. If P&G/AOS and Valobra are no longer in a contract together then Valobra could start making beautiful, big, tallow-y soap pucks!

A boy can dream, no?

Good point. P&G/AOS likely had a pretty restrictive do not compete contract with Valobra. If P&G/AOS and Valobra are no longer in a contract together then Valobra could start making beautiful, big, tallow-y soap pucks!

A boy can dream, no?

With scents like the limited edition soft soaps they put out in Lavender and Balsamo. If they ever did a hard soap using the scent of their violet bath soap... A dream indeed.

I was going to say the exact same thing. As soon as P&G laid their hands on this company, the brand name got flushed down the toilet. They had this reformulation coming.... One of my main gripes was when they left the UK market. Total disaster.

I wonder how this will effect the C&S soaps which are also (allegedly) made by Vallobra.

Just curious, if when I go back to the AOS shop to ask about this, if they have some tallow refill pucks left, would anyone be interested in one?

Interesting thread.... I was gifted a tub of AoS sandalwood cream for Christmas and after 2 uses was forced by SWMBO to exchange it - the smell was WAY too strong for her. So I planned on picking up a tub of Ocean Kelp. Right as I made my decision the shop lady said "You know that one isn't made with the oils right? It's water based". I wasn't exactly sure what she was trying to say, and past experience at that particular shop led me to believe that SHE didn't really know what she was saying. So I put the Kelp back and grabbed a lemon - the Kelp smelled awesome by the way, no 1805, but good in it's own right. I thought for a second maybe she was referencing the scent - the others were made from EO and the Kelp wasn't. Anyway...that's what I got. The tub label has 2011 and "Made in the USA". It works good for me :)

At least they are made in the US now, and they didn't outsource to some other country to have the new stuff made. While not original formula, I still like that aspect of the new one.

You know, this makes sense. I had read so much about how great the AoS Sandalwood soap was, and I had been wanting to try a good high end hard soap because I didn't have any, so about a month ago, I went in my local AoS and dropped 50 bucks for the soap and bowl. Though it smelled pretty good, I was supremely disappointed in the lather and shave quality that I could get and have just figured that I was the problem.

I don't know if my puck is the new formulation or not. But I do know that it's not as good as the only other hard soap I have, VdH luxury. I had really high expectations for it and it just didn't perform.

If you're going to charge $30 for a puck of soap it had better be good. When AOS first started they got me into wet shaving. It was expensive then but there weren't a whole lot of choices available. I used it for several years before I found an alternative (which was Cade BTW). We now have so many good products to choose from thanks to our vendors and artisans and the demand created by this forum and ones like it. AOS probably won't miss our business too much but if their quality has declined their regular customers will begin to look for alternatives. They are selling luxury goods in what is still a tough economy.

Top Bottom