What's new

Anyone use toothpowder?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just got this Primal Life toothpowder and it's crap. I can't stand the charcoal flavor but I like the concept of toothpowder. And supposedly the charcoal is good at whitening and removing toxins. So I'll probably use it until it's gone and look for something else. Without charcoal.

What else is out there? Anyone use toothpowder? What do you use?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've never heard of tooth powder. I would certainly consider it if it proved good at getting rid of coffee stains.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Never heard of anything commercial, but I know you can use activated charcoal to brush your teeth. Supposedly works better than regular toothpaste and has some other health benefits.

Sent from the Danger Phone

I`ve used the Indian made Colgate tooth powder and Pepsodent American tooth powder when it was made. I found it helped clean better than toothpaste and it made for a nice change using it from time to time.

All I have is the old (vintage) Williams tooth powder that came in the gift set. I'm a little afraid to use it but plan to give it a go someday. I've used bentonite clay because I read it has some sort of benefits...I don't care if it provides eternal life, I'm not inclined to do that again.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I`ve used the Indian made Colgate tooth powder and Pepsodent American tooth powder when it was made. I found it helped clean better than toothpaste and it made for a nice change using it from time to time.

I reckon I'll try this tooth powder.

I just got this Primal Life toothpowder and it's crap. I can't stand the charcoal flavor but I like the concept of toothpowder. And supposedly the charcoal is good at whitening and removing toxins. So I'll probably use it until it's gone and look for something else. Without charcoal.

What else is out there? Anyone use toothpowder? What do you use?

Pretty sure it "whitens" by abrading the top layer of enamel from your teeth, similar to other whitening toothpastes. Seems risky to me in that you open yourself up to cavities and whatnot so that your teeth are a little whiter without using hydrogen peroxide. Also, not sure what "toxins" are staying in your mouth.

My 2 cents on the whole charcoal tooth powder issue.

I'll also note that I am firmly against Marvis toothpaste.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I haven't been able to find any evidence that it removes enamel from your teeth.

The "toxins" I'm assuming are bacteria. The kind that cause bad breath.

It taste like crap though, I know that much.

I haven't been able to find any evidence that it removes enamel from your teeth.

The "toxins" I'm assuming are bacteria. The kind that cause bad breath.

It taste like crap though, I know that much.

Reading up, definitely sounds like using it as a daily product seems to be ranging from a neutral to a bad idea. If it could remove stains without abrading, I would think that they wouldn't have it used as a toothpaste, but rather a liquefied solution that just sits on the teeth.

I really do like more "natural" products, but the more I get into them, the more I find that they often end up causing more issues.

Also, I neither like nor trust anything that comes from FauxNews, but they're article is the best consolidation of what I've read about activated charcoal.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/...rcoal-as-teeth-whitener-reaches-millions.html

Put your regular toothpaste on your brush and then add a pinch of the charcoal powder, at least it'll taste better.

I'm gonna have to do more research on it, but here's what I've got so far:

There are a ton of pro/cons of regular toothpaste. First off, it has abrasives in it (most anyway) that are used to abrade away the 'junk' on your teeth. That being said, it's a pretty limited amount because you can abrade enamel with repeated use of a lot of abrasive. (example is Baking soda: people used it for years. It'll keep your teeth clean, but it will also lead to thinner enamel and abfraction). So your typical toothpaste doesn't have a lot of abrasive, but it's built to be shelf stable, so it's definitely got preservatives. Fluoride is also common. I'm a dentist, and a huge fan of fluoride. But the internet can be a touchy place to discuss that specific topic. Here's my bottom line - if you can keep the plaque off your teeth well enough that your not allowing demineralization (totally possible btw), then I really don't care about fluoride at all. If you're not able to though, fluoride will help tremendously.

I'm not sure what the 'tooth powders' are mostly, but if you can get a bit (very little bit) of abrasive on a SOFT toothbrush and keep everything really clean (yes, you need to floss), then I'm fine with it.

This specific tooth powder: I'm not sure about the 'toxin' claim either. Most of the bacteria in your mouth that are easily killed repopulate pretty quickly. Dental caries (cavities) are caused by acid. The acid is a waste product of S. mutans (mostly), a very common bacterium. The bacteria do not eat your teeth, no matter what your childhood dentist told you. With that in mind, if you keep the bacteria off the teeth, you don't get cavities (again, mostly). But really, its a pH battle. If we can create a well buffered, basic environment (non-science translation: an environment that can handle acids and bases really well and neutralizes them), then we're in good shape. Charcoal should do that. It should also help in the dissolution of some of the things that cause stain. I think some of the 'whitening' affect is that, the rest is abrasion, but I don't know how abrasive it is.

Obviously I need to look up more info (see if there's any good research). However, logically I'd say use very little, and it should be fine and even beneficial. But don't: Use a ton, use a hard brush, scrub really hard. And know, charcoal can discolor the tongue a bit (white teeth, black tongue).

I'm gonna have to do more research on it, but here's what I've got so far:

There are a ton of pro/cons of regular toothpaste. First off, it has abrasives in it (most anyway) that are used to abrade away the 'junk' on your teeth. That being said, it's a pretty limited amount because you can abrade enamel with repeated use of a lot of abrasive. (example is Baking soda: people used it for years. It'll keep your teeth clean, but it will also lead to thinner enamel and abfraction). So your typical toothpaste doesn't have a lot of abrasive, but it's built to be shelf stable, so it's definitely got preservatives. Fluoride is also common. I'm a dentist, and a huge fan of fluoride. But the internet can be a touchy place to discuss that specific topic. Here's my bottom line - if you can keep the plaque off your teeth well enough that your not allowing demineralization (totally possible btw), then I really don't care about fluoride at all. If you're not able to though, fluoride will help tremendously.

I'm not sure what the 'tooth powders' are mostly, but if you can get a bit (very little bit) of abrasive on a SOFT toothbrush and keep everything really clean (yes, you need to floss), then I'm fine with it.

This specific tooth powder: I'm not sure about the 'toxin' claim either. Most of the bacteria in your mouth that are easily killed repopulate pretty quickly. Dental caries (cavities) are caused by acid. The acid is a waste product of S. mutans (mostly), a very common bacterium. The bacteria do not eat your teeth, no matter what your childhood dentist told you. With that in mind, if you keep the bacteria off the teeth, you don't get cavities (again, mostly). But really, its a pH battle. If we can create a well buffered, basic environment (non-science translation: an environment that can handle acids and bases really well and neutralizes them), then we're in good shape. Charcoal should do that. It should also help in the dissolution of some of the things that cause stain. I think some of the 'whitening' affect is that, the rest is abrasion, but I don't know how abrasive it is.

Obviously I need to look up more info (see if there's any good research). However, logically I'd say use very little, and it should be fine and even beneficial. But don't: Use a ton, use a hard brush, scrub really hard. And know, charcoal can discolor the tongue a bit (white teeth, black tongue).

Fluoride ftw. Thanks for the detailed input.

Top Bottom