What's new

anyone ever tried making there own pomade or gel?

I have a lot of diffrent pomades and there great. But I was thinking of making my own water based pomade or should I say gel. Was just wondering if any of you Gents knew where to start and what products are needed to began my adventure?

I've done a few oil based ones. Basically an oil ( olive, jojoba, coconut etc) and then add a little beeswax to thicken it and some essential oils if you wish. They've all worked well, but I've never tried a water based/soluble one.
If I'm in the mood to make a homemade alternative to an off the shelf product, I just check the ingredients list and see what can be substituted.
I'm keen to see if there are some recipes from B&B members. I do prefer to use a pom that washes out with water.
Good luck!

My favorite grease is homemade. Beeswax, Cocoa butter, Shea butter, Vitamin E oil, Olive oil, and EO's of patchouli and sandalwood. Great stuff. As for making a gel or water-soluble pomade, I wouldn't even know where to start.

I've yet to try it, but I have seen some interesting articles that are easily found on Google that use a flax seed base. I am subscribed to see where your search leads, as I am looking for a more natural hair product.

So far I haven't found any info for making a gel or water-soluble pomade Still on the look out . I might try a homemade grease first any Ideas or steps I need to go about? Im hoping to make something that washes out easy if anyone has any experience advice is welcomed.

I have a lot of diffrent pomades and there great. But I was thinking of making my own water based pomade or should I say gel. Was just wondering if any of you Gents knew where to start and what products are needed to began my adventure?

I've done some oil based ones and am currently researching how to make a good water based one myself. It seems like its a LOT more complicated, and requires several different ingredients that aren't as widely available as the simpler oil based ones.

I'm going to continue working on it and hope that I can come up with something in the near future. However, if anyone happens to discover a good formula, or at least a good place to start, I would greatly appreciate some information sharing. By the same token, if I happen to make progress I will gladly share that information with anyone else who wants it.

what are the steps for your oil based and does it wash out easy?

Well... I just realized that you're a Cardinals fan, so I absolutely CAN NOT help you out with this.

Ha ha, just kidding. The ingredients that I use are petrolatum (petroleum jelly), beeswax, extra light olive oil, and fragrance/essential oils. Now you'll have to determine the amounts of each yourself depending on what consistency you're looking for. If you're looking for something along the lines of Royal Crown, then petrolatum will be your main ingredient and you'll only add a little (if any) beeswax. If Murray's is what you're going for, then you're going to use more beeswax. In either/any case, olive oil is something that I use sparingly. My process is pretty easy though:

1. Determine the amounts of each ingredient and what type of scent you want to use.
2. In a double boiler, combine and melt down the petrolatum, beeswax, and olive oil. Don't just use a pot directly over the flame. You have to heat water in one pot, and use a second (smaller) pot to mix and melt the ingredients in over that hot water.
3. Mix together thoroughly while heating through. DO NOT LET IT BURN!
4. Once the mixture is pretty even, add your fragrance and cut the heat. Make sure the fragrance is mixed all the way through.
5. Transfer the mixture to a rigid container with a tight-sealing lid - leave the lid off though. I use a metal container because the thermal transfer is better.
6. Shock the mixture by placing in a large mixing bowl filled with ice, water, and a 1/2 tsp of salt. Make sure the container stays upright. Remember, you don't have a lid on it yet.
7. After the mixture has cooled significantly, remove it from the ice bath and let it finish setting up at room temperature. You can put the lid on at any time now.
8. Enjoy! You've got your own pomade.

As for the washing out - I never put a lot of my homemade stuff in my hair; the most I've ever used is a marble sized amount. Obviously, If you use a bunch it is going to be very hard to get out. Seeing as how I don't use that much, none of them have ever given me too terrible of a time washing out. Now they're not as easily removed as water based pomades, but I've never had to use Dawn or other dish soap to remove it from my hair. What is use is Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo (a big bottle runs me $1.00 at Dollar General), and I wash and rinse twice. I always follow up with a good conditioner as well, that seems to help remove any residuals that might be left over.

Good luck with this recipe! I had to try a handful of times until I found the right mixture. I never measure anything though, I just eye it up. Be careful and have fun.

Last edited:
Well... I just realized that you're a Cardinals fan, so I absolutely CAN NOT help you out with this.

Ha ha, just kidding. The ingredients that I use are petrolatum (petroleum jelly), beeswax, extra light olive oil, and fragrance/essential oils. Now you'll have to determine the amounts of each yourself depending on what consistency you're looking for. If you're looking for something along the lines of Royal Crown, then petrolatum will be your main ingredient and you'll only add a little (if any) beeswax. If Murray's is what you're going for, then you're going to use more beeswax. In either/any case, olive oil is something that I use sparingly. My process is pretty easy though:

1. Determine the amounts of each ingredient and what type of scent you want to use.
2. In a double boiler, combine and melt down the petrolatum, beeswax, and olive oil. Don't just use a pot directly over the flame. You have to heat water in one pot, and use a second (smaller) pot to mix and melt the ingredients in over that hot water.
3. Mix together thoroughly while heating through. DO NOT LET IT BURN!
4. Once the mixture is pretty even, add your fragrance and cut the heat. Make sure the fragrance is mixed all the way through.
5. Transfer the mixture to a rigid container with a tight-sealing lid - leave the lid off though. I use a metal container because the thermal transfer is better.
6. Shock the mixture by placing in a large mixing bowl filled with ice, water, and a 1/2 tsp of salt. Make sure the container stays upright. Remember, you don't have a lid on it yet.
7. After the mixture has cooled significantly, remove it from the ice bath and let it finish setting up at room temperature. You can put the lid on at any time now.
8. Enjoy! You've got your own pomade.

As for the washing out - I never put a lot of my homemade stuff in my hair; the most I've ever used is a marble sized amount. Obviously, If you use a bunch it is going to be very hard to get out. Seeing as how I don't use that much, none of them have ever given me too terrible of a time washing out. Now they're not as easily removed as water based pomades, but I've never had to use Dawn or other dish soap to remove it from my hair. What is use is Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo (a big bottle runs me $1.00 at Dollar General), and I wash and rinse twice. I always follow up with a good conditioner as well, that seems to help remove any residuals that might be left over.

Good luck with this recipe! I had to try a handful of times until I found the right mixture. I never measure anything though, I just eye it up. Be careful and have fun.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to try this someday.

this is gonna be fun cant wait to try it out. Ive really only used one petrolatum based pomade and that was lockhearts good stuff. But im looking to go the bee's wax route hope it holds well. and can I make it with out the petrolatum?

pomade ive used so far

woody's water based
lockehearts
shiner gold
js slone
groom n clean

I found this on youtube I rarely ever make water based pomades anymore. Solution- make your regular pomade and whip with a teaspoon or 2 of heated water. I have done this with excellent success. I do not make the water based because of the need for a preservative. The regular pomade last a very long time

and can I make it with out the petrolatum?

Ummm... I honestly don't know. I would think so - but the thing is, if your base is going to be beeswax you're going to need something to soften it up. You can add more olive oil, but that will make it very greasy. I've thought of using pure lanolin, but just haven't got around to it yet. Try it out. Do some experimenting. Let us all know. I have a feeling that if we all play around with this a lot and post our results, this will become a pretty popular thread on B&B. Especially with the pomade guys.

I've done some oil based ones and am currently researching how to make a good water based one myself. It seems like its a LOT more complicated, and requires several different ingredients that aren't as widely available as the simpler oil based ones.

I'm going to continue working on it and hope that I can come up with something in the near future. However, if anyone happens to discover a good formula, or at least a good place to start, I would greatly appreciate some information sharing. By the same token, if I happen to make progress I will gladly share that information with anyone else who wants it.

Not saying you should order from these guys: http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/ (I have ordered some essential oils and melt&pour soap from them before); but I have found that finding an online supplier is easier than trying to find the ingredients locally. (Be warned, they have just started to require a minimum order of $100 unless you want to pay an extra $20, so you might want to look elsewhere.)

That been said, they do have a forum with some people posting recipes which might fit what you are trying to do. You could also try other similar online stores for recipes in forums.

For a water-based product, I would think the main ingredient would be aloe vera gel. You can use aloe vera gel by itself in your hair; it works OK. Not as good as expensive gels, but it mostly gets the job done.

If I were going to do this, here's what I would do.

1) Buy a tube of clear aloe vera gel
2) Buy some Mystic Waters hair oil
3) Towel dry hair
4) put a small amount of clear aloe vera gel on fingers of left hand, add a few drops of Mystic Water hair oil, rub together, apply.

It would already be preserved, because the aloe gel contains a preservative. It would already smell awesome, because the Mystic Water hair oil already has good essential oils in it.

Voila!

For what it's worth, I tried my semi-homemade gel this morning. Boom! Works great, smells great, easy.

Its not not really a pomade, but it was every bit as good as the $25 tube of hair gel I got at the Art of Shaving.

For what it's worth, I tried my semi-homemade gel this morning. Boom! Works great, smells great, easy.

Its not not really a pomade, but it was every bit as good as the $25 tube of hair gel I got at the Art of Shaving.

Not really into gels; I'm more of a pomade/wax guy, but I'm gonna give this a go. I always like to try new things. Maybe I can figure out a good tweak or two to the recipe and share it with everyone.

On that note, anyone get adventurous and try producing their own hair concoction yet? I'd love to hear results and see pictures. Next time I make my own I'll for sure post pics. Maybe even send out a few samples for those interested...

Top Bottom