What's new

Any WHEEL GUN lovers out there...?

Hopefully I have done this right.....these are two .45s, one a ruger vaquero and the other
a western marshal...the rigs are custom, with both having a cross draw holster plus
the regular one...they both shoot 45 long colts.....the shotgun is a springfield 12ga
that i am told was made around 1900...I have used it for bird hunting many times...
thanks for the look...and thanks for the help on getting these pics put on here...
duke

Attachments

• $025.jpg
    $025.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 421
  • $067.jpg
    $067.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 420
  • $027.jpg
    $027.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 420
Thanks for posting those pics - they look fantastic.

I have never shot a Vaquero - I hear the design is supposed to reduce muzzle flip - any truth to that?

Great pics

thanks bout the pics......about the muzzle flip.....I have not noticed any to
be trueful.....I know that that is one of the trademarks of the vaquero and so
now I have to go to the range and have a shoot with both of these .45s......will
let you know how it goes.....duke

I'm a cop for 23 years now full time, even longer if you count part time or reserve work I did in the mid 80's while in college. I started with the wheel gun, then to the 9 then to the .45. I think I can re-load that wheel gun faster than some current and younger people can re-load their .45 automatics. Asides from capacity I think it's a wash provided you are an expierenced and interested shooter. They work with a minimum amount of moving parts and possible problems. Perhaps a great desert gun for the troops that has been overlooked and should be re-visited.

Wheelguns have more moving parts internally and once fouled can't be cleaned easily.

They are interesting and still right for a few roles, but for military service their time has come and gone a century ago.
A 9mm Glock can run 30,000 rounds without cleaning or malfunction. No wheelgun can.

The wheel gun us a safer bet for those who are forced to carry yet have no interest in guns. Pop the cylinder and your done. Nothing to visualize or question which auto loaders can have for the non mechanically inclined.

Perhaps no one has worked a wheel gun to the glocks level with modern technology and methods. Perhaps we have just written them off.

The wheel gun us a safer bet for those who are forced to carry yet have no interest in guns. Pop the cylinder and your done. Nothing to visualize or question which auto loaders can have for the non mechanically inclined.

Perhaps no one has worked a wheel gun to the glocks level with modern technology and methods. Perhaps we have just written them off.

A more simple manual of arms to be sure. Far more moving parts, far more complicated, heavier, and reduced capacity.

Relying upon "stopping power" with reduced capacity isn't my game especially given the much hard to conceal profile and weight of a revolver. That being said, if you can conceal it and shoot it proficiently (most American handgun owners shoot a few boxes of ammo a year), good on you.

A more simple manual of arms to be sure. Far more moving parts, far more complicated, heavier, and reduced capacity.

For sure a simpler manual of arms!

While they are usually a good bit wider than most auto's, they can be concealed readily. Not all wheel guns are heavier than auto's or have decreased capacity... with the scandium frames and 8 shot wheelies.

With that said.... I do agree! :) I switched from wheel guns to 1911's to Glocks.... What can I say? I still love the wheel guns though... shoot them more too!

Tom

Being probably younger than most revolver lovers, I've never owned a full size. I've fired them and really enjoy them- more so than the semi-autos... all I have now is a few 642s, and I prefer them to the Glock 26 easily !

My daily carry is a 642 in a Nemesis or Mika pocket holster. Perfect for my needs. A snubby requires lots of practice, but that's just another word for fun...

Wheelguns have more moving parts internally and once fouled can't be cleaned easily.

They are interesting and still right for a few roles, but for military service their time has come and gone a century ago.
A 9mm Glock can run 30,000 rounds without cleaning or malfunction. No wheelgun can.

Im regularly shooting 100 year old wheelguns. Let me know when a Glock hits that. No parts changed either

Lots of folks shoot light cowboy loads out of old guns, that isn't anything to brag about. Let us know when your revolver hits 30,000 factory loaded rounds fired.

It's the non-sport loads like .357 125gr that are flame cutting and cracking forcing cones. Shoot those and report back.

That and most 100 year old guns (I've got several bolt actions in the 80-90 yr old range) spent a whole lot more time sitting than they did shooting.

Glocks and other modern pistols have in torture tests exceeded the maximum expected service life of the M9 and M1911 pistols by five times in a single session (20-30,000 rounds.......expected service life before parts replacement or major overhaul, 5-6,000).

Im regularly shooting 100 year old wheelguns. Let me know when a Glock hits that. No parts changed either

So you are actually trying to say that age trumps design, less moving parts, no need for hand fitted parts, and durability? If we followed your argument to its conclusion, we would be using rocks, maybe slings.

S&W 686 6" ~1984. Very sweet shooting gun. LCR carried occasionally Mika pocket holster. I like both poly and steel, as long as they function and shoot well. Also, love handmade knives.:) Regards, Bradley

Lots of folks shoot light cowboy loads out of old guns, that isn't anything to brag about. Let us know when your revolver hits 30,000 factory loaded rounds fired.

LOL...I did 1000 Factory Webley rounds this year, together with upteen light reloads (save $$).

Other than that, I try not to argue with Glock fanboys. By the way, ever see how many moving parts there are in an 1895 Nagant design?

Top Bottom