What's new

Any Smoke Shops of Note in Manhattan?

I have smoked a pipe on and off over the past twenty years. I don't smoke the pipe very often, and that probably won't change by much. Although, who knows!

Both of my pipes are Blue Ridge and made of briar.

Up until now, I have just gotten various tobacco blends (by the ounce) from local smoke shops. My favorites have always been slightly aromatic, but not overly sweet.

My questions:

Are there any smoke shops of note in Manhattan (with more or less reasonable prices), which carry a good selection of pipe tobacco and pipe supplies?

Can anyone recommend a slightly aromatic blend of high quality pipe tobacco?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Nat Sherman. Last time I was there I looked at pipes and they had a good selection and prices were OK. Plus you can smoke there. Plus they have nice tobacco, including their 584 blend which would fit the bill for what you're looking for.

The other pipe shop in Manhattan is Barclay Rex and it's only a few blocks from Nat Shermans. Smaller store, but decent selection of pipes. Tobacco was overpriced there to my eyes, but they had a decent selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup Barclay Rex, Nat Sherman, and once upon a time I used to live across the street from De LA Concha tobacconist but this awesome store was bought by Davidoff and has lots of high end stuff but just not as cool as it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On a side note if you happen to go to Nat Sherman you may get lucky and see that they have some sort of Esoterica tobacco in Stock. Not always but they do get it in large bags. Maybe your lucky.

To answer your concern for reasonable prices the short answer is no. Unless your shopping for some swanky gear or hard to find pipe you will be paying their store front rent for just about any mundane tobacco products. Still fun to check out some of these shops cause they just ooze excess. Lol ask the shop keep to show you a premium Dunhill pipe and you will feel like someone is trying to sell you a Rolls Royce. Fun stuff bring all you plastic lol.

Nat Sherman. Last time I was there I looked at pipes and they had a good selection and prices were OK. Plus you can smoke there. Plus they have nice tobacco, including their 584 blend which would fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Can you tell me more about 584 Blend?

Can you tell me more about Esoterica?

Well its a line of Tobacco blends made by JF Germain & sons from the UK. Notoriously difficult to obtain because of huge demand on this rather small producer. I mentioned that I have seen this tobacco in stock at Nat Sherman only because it usually garners such interest. If you are generally a aromatic smoker I don't know if any of those blends would be your cup of tea.

Google (I think it was Google) says their 42nd Street location is permanently closed. Would you happen to know if that's accurate?
I only went to the one in the Wall Street area. At one time they were located at Barclay St. but moved to Pearl St. I never went to the Mid Town location.

Jump over the bridge and try JR Cigars in Paramus.
No don't! That's my go to brick and mortar. Lately their pipe tobacco stock has been rather diminished . No need to stress the situation further .:117: Good place if your looking for a good deal on a Savinelli, Peterson or Nording pipe.

No don't! That's my go to brick and mortar. Lately their pipe tobacco stock has been rather diminished . No need to stress the situation further .:117: Good place if your looking for a good deal on a Savinelli, Peterson or Nording pipe.

+1 I got a Peterson Dracula there a couple years back that was ~$30 cheaper than what they were going for online.

The tobacco I saw back then is probably the same stuff there now, minus the random purchases after me. The stuff I got had at least a couple years of age on them even back then. Got the feeling that they were just trying to get rid of whatever was left from an order place a long, long time ago.

Top Bottom