What's new

Another use for a waterpik - the ears

Interesting to know that others have the same ear wax build up problem that I do. I have been to doctors and used the ear wax remover kit with the chemical and then the flushing with the bulb of water. I don't have a water pic, but it seems to me to be the same concept as the water filled bulb.

A doctor told me that my problem stems from narrow ear canals. Anyway, I am very happy after the buildup is removed. The only problem I find with the chemical and bulb of water approach is that it takes a few days to sufficiently loosen the wax to get it all out. A small price to pay, I guess, since the relief is wonderful. Does the waterpic method work on the first time?

I am so tempted to just order an ear cleaning kit, but I've always had weird issues about getting water in my ears.

How weird IS it? Is there ANY pain involved? Am I just a wimp because I get all ooooogy about this?

i saw something on the telly recently about a new ear cleaning spray that was supposedly very effective... anyone know about that? it was shaped like a thin, small can of wd-40 with a long tip of the kind attached to the side of a can of wd-40... :confused:

i saw something on the telly recently about a new ear cleaning spray that was supposedly very effective... anyone know about that? it was shaped like a thin, small can of wd-40 with a long tip of the kind attached to the side of a can of wd-40... :confused:

Its by Murine called Earigate. I have some that I just started using. I got up one morning with a horrible pain in my ear. Dr. found a large piece of wax he could not get out, finally got it out with a waterpik and found I also had an ear infection. That was the worst pain I have ever experienced. After that I found the earigate and it seems to work pretty well.

hey, i can relate. i've had that pain before. no fun at all. thanks for the name. i'll check it out tomorrow during my weekly grocery shopping...

I agree with Mulepackin' -- I am also an RN who has some experience in a primary care clinic and have used a waterpik for this issue. You need to be careful that you do not plug the ear canal with the tip -- i.e., the water that you instill has to have an escape route, otherwise you can easily and quickly rupture the ear drum. I confess that I do use a Q tip gently after showering and allowing warm water to soften up whatever might be down there. For some reason my left ear is much worse than my right.

I agree with Mulepackin' -- I am also an RN who has some experience in a primary care clinic and have used a waterpik for this issue. You need to be careful that you do not plug the ear canal with the tip -- i.e., the water that you instill has to have an escape route, otherwise you can easily and quickly rupture the ear drum. I confess that I do use a Q tip gently after showering and allowing warm water to soften up whatever might be down there. For some reason my left ear is much worse than my right.

same here

I'd be afraid of too much pressure. I use one of those squeeze bulb syringes that come with a standard ear-wax removal kit.

I also suffer from too much wax build-up. I've never had my ears cleaned professionally, but I do a fairly good job of it myself with those kits about once a month. Sometimes, I substitute Hydrogen Peroxide for the stuff in the kit.

If that wasn't bad enough, I've also got Tinitus in my left ear. Has anyone tried Lipoflavinoid or any similar products?

Never heard of Lipoflavinoid...but I might give it a try. The tinnitis in my right ear sometimes gets annoying, and it would be great to have it go away.

a few years back I had a wax buildup which my doctor gave me wax disolving drops to put in my ear for a week and come back to see him. When I went back to the Dr he used a waterpick to flush out the dissolved wax. Man, what an odd sensation! He angled the water jet so it would first hit against the canal and then swirl down into the ear and flush everything out, leaving plenty of space for water to evacuate and not build pressure in the ear. Much more effective than using a bulb, but I would not try using a waterpik in the ear on your own.

I worked with a guy who always said he was gonna open a kiosk in a mall cleaning ears, since it was such a needed service, and the folks who needed it felt so much better afterwards.

I'm surprised we haven't seen this yet. I'm pretty sure they have these in Japan, along with the video monitor so you can see what they're doing in there.

I can recommend that you NOT try ear candling (shoving a flammable hollow tube in your ear and igniting it). I almost caught my head on fire that way, only to find that it wouldn't have worked even if I had done it right, according to the conventional medical wisdom.

I've not read up enough about what the medical profession says, but I've tried it and it worked for me. YMMV of course.

My ENT Doc cleans my ears out once a year using a metal rod. Plenty comes out. No water should be forced into your ear...ever.

same here

Same here for me too. I think it's because I usually sleep on my right side.

Top Bottom