What's new

Another Shaving Journal....

I ordered a new strop, and a few other tidbits to finish off my honing kit. Withdrawal has set in big time. I scratch the itch by doing anther restore. It's shown here in detail. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/282524-Second-full-restore-The-Meteor

For what it's worth, my DE shaves are better now that I've spent time behind a straight. I stretch better, and I know my grain better. But that's been discussed before.

Anxiously waiting for the mail man.....

The new (replacement) strop arrived. Last night I unboxed it. Today I'm back in the game.

This morning was a simple shave. I grabbed the Hot Springs Gem, stropped, lathered some Tabac, and got to shaving. After nearly two weeks off, it felt nice to hold a straight again.

The shave was nothing exceptional. I'd call it a DFS-lite. Only one weeper on my left cheek. This is a problem spot. I nearly always draw blood here. It's annoying, but that's another log entry.

The good news: that same box also contained some CrOx on balsa, and some diamond slurry. Plans are to put the diamond on the fabric component of the old strop, once I figure out how. I'm thinking a small spray bottle will do it, but I'm not sure.

I hope to tune up a blade or two tonight, utilizing the new tools. More reports to follow....

I survived it, so I logged it.

I had high hopes for this shave. It was a weekend, and SWMBO left early. I had an empty house to myself for a long slow shave. This was my first try with an edge off CrOx balsa and diamond loaded felt.

The first pass, WTG, was brilliant. It felt smoother and almost delicate on my skin. Very nice.

The second pass, XTG, was interrupted. I made two swipes when suddenly I hear a persistent knocking at the front door. I considered ignoring it, but the music I had left on through the house was ratting me out. After a quick rinse and tossing on some clothes I answered to door. It wasn't an emergency, but it did demand some time. I made it back to the sink in half an hour, but I never got my groove back. Oh well.

Best shave on record.

I did three passes, WTG - XTG - XTG(opposite), and I might have stopped here. That's a first. I could have touched up two spots and had a fair CCS at this point. Much easier on my face too. I felt like I was drifting into a shallower angle the whole time, and I was still cutting close. I finished with a half-pass ATG, and got a solid DFS for my effort.

This was also my first straight shave with MWF. I had finally scraped the dregs of Tabac from the Tabac bowl, and shoved a MWF puck in its place. To my surprise, it's almost a perfect fit. After all the horror stories I've heard, I expected trouble from this stuff. It lathered up quick and easy. No pre-soak or anything. The lather didn't seem all that thick or slick, but it did the job. It'll probably get better with practice.

Now back on the road for a week. I'm packing a new little 2-inch travel strop and a tub of Cella this time. Wish me luck.

Now that's a DFS.:001_smile

It was a hotel shave today, reminding me why I love Cella. That red tub was surely designed for the traveling man, and the scent is growing on me. Another bonus: I traveled west. Waking up early in a quiet hotel room with plenty of time for a leisurely shave.... ah the simple luxuries.

Adding pastes to my kit has been very beneficial. Honing really is half the battle. My last two shaves have been a significant step forward, and I credit it all to shaving with a sharper and more polished edge.

I used the Hot Springs Gem again today, with my usual attack plan: WTG, XTG, XTG opposite. I'm starting to grasp how some of the long time straight shavers can get a DFS without an ATG. I'm not there yet, but it doesn't sound like a BS boast anymore. I still need at least a partial ATG at the end. Today it worked out nicely. Having some time on my hands was a benefit too.

It was my first outing with a new 2-inch travel strop from Star Shaving. It's a bare bones strop, so I don't have to tote the big'un around. It's also cheap, so if I leave it hanging on a hotel bathroom door somewhere it won't be a crisis. The leather is a little rougher, and it lacks the draw I've come to enjoy. I'll have to see how it wears in, maybe some neets foot oil will help. The shave was fine, so I probably shouldn't complain.

50 shaves done, another milestone achieved.

It's another fine shave today. Same razor, same process, same hotel, same happy face.

The only difference was in the partial ATG at the end. The razor didn't feel as sharp. It seemed a bit catchy, but it didn't wreck the shave. First guess is to blame stropping. I suspect I didn't do enough between shaves. I've also fallen out the habit of stropping a quick 20 laps before the final pass. I did 75 laps after today's shave, with the new travel strop. I'll make a point of stropping a lot tomorrow. I think it's too early to dis the new hardware. Note that this strop does not have a fabric component, simplifying things for the road.

Noah's recent journal comment about edges not lasting very long has started me thinking. (This is a problem of mine... The 'thinking' part,.... always causes troubles. This happens when I'm on the road.)

What contributes to the lifespan of a sharp edge?

My guess: good steel, shaving with a light hand, and a good stropping regimen. That's all I can come up with. This brings me back to recent exchanges with Jon (global_dev) and others on the value of stropping. The more I read, the less seems to be concrete. Everyone agrees that stropping is necessary, but the How, When, Why, and With What are all YMMV. Different people have different luck with different products on different steel.

This isn't a complaint. Rather, it's a conclusion that's rather freeing. When put into perspective beside soaps, creams, hones, balms and everything else, it's a relief to see stropping has the very same mix of established facts and contested opinions. One man's MdC is another man's Williams. Vintage linen, felt, Russian leather and newsprint are the stropping equivalents.

I was slow to come around to this conclusion, and it makes me feel better about not having an established stropping routine this far into the game. I don't know why I expected stropping to be a bit more formulaic, but I did. .... Sure, it's yet another thing to explore and learn, but taken with the same playfulness as the other wet shave components... it's a pleasure, not a chore.

Now the real challenge: learning The Way Of The Strop without succumbing to another AD.

PS - If you're not reading Noah's shave journal, you should. Good stuff in there.

Edge lifespan, that's my challenge.

Same razor, same process, same hotel room. I got a good shave, but I can feel the edge slowly fading. The ATG had some definite resistance today. It wasn't skipping, but I can feel it try. At one point this was my sharpest and smoothest edge yet. I'm disappointed to see it fade away in something like 4 shaves.

I stropped before and after, probably 50 laps each, leather only.

This brand of steel isn't on anyone's Top Ten, and I'm using an inexpensive strop. It could be the hardware. It could be my stropping technique. Ugh, too many variables....

Today was another day down the path to a butter knife. Same setup, same hotel, same 3.5 passes. It shaved, but not nearly with the same comfort and closeness as earlier in the week. I even did 25 laps before the partial ATG, with no real help. My persistence got me a few minor weepers. WH patched them up.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this particular razor. Today I'm leaning toward hate, or at least mild dislike. It might have to go. If I had the patience I'd strop it with the better strop at home and see if that helps, or see if that strop maintains the edge for longer. Or I'll BST it and start on some more reputable steel.

With luck it'll rain all weekend and I can get some restoration and honing done. I've still not honed the Meteor.

I have a DE as backup. I might use that tomorrow morning. I've still a few days before getting back home.

Last edited:

This morning I was back at my home sink. It’s funny how such little things contribute to a shave. I also switched razors. I dropped the Hot Springs Gem on the To Be Honed pile, and picked up the W&B. I had honed this beside the Gem, so I had high hopes. I had a two day growth to knock down, and time enough to enjoy the process. I stropped 20 laps, lathered and gave it a go.

This is the most hollow razor I’ve used yet. In the past I didn’t like it so much, it seemed like shaving with a super thin crispy potato chip. Today I was surprised. It didn’t seem as sharp as the Gem had been at its peak, but it was nice and smooth. I shaved WTG, XTG, and XTG opposite. I rinsed and assessed progress. I could have easily stopped here and finished with a solid CCS. It was a very comfortable shave, with a little ATG stubble here and there.

I really wanted to test this edge, so I lathered for a partial ATG. I feared that I was pressing my luck. It was nice though. The blade wasn’t reluctant at all. I finished with a great DFS. No weepers. No burn. No irritation.

It took me about 25 shaves to get routinely socially acceptable shaves, without using a DE as a crutch. It has taken another 25 to start shaving with pride in my product. Honing was the crux. Now it’s no longer a matter of stubborn bull-headedness that’s keeping me in the game. (I admit it was helpful at some points.) I’m still really slow. Even SWMBO remarked that I took extra time with my shave this morning. It’s still not the mythical two-pass BBS w/o ATG. ….

I have a long way to go, but it’s nice to have survived ‘The Bloody 25,’ and transitioned into some really enjoyable shaves, albeit 3 out of 5.

Great stuff. It seems like using straights comes with these "jumps" in progress as long as you stick with it. I'm hoping another jump is coming up as I approach 50.

Great to see you are making such progress, at least since last time I posted. Do not worry too much about the time aspect, that usually sorts itself out on its own!

One or two really nice shaves, and now I’m spoiled.

I put a second shave on the W&B this morning, and it was noticeably less sharp. It wasn’t a bad shave. I got one weeper on my cheek and a scratch on my Adam’s apple. Both were pretty minor. The shave simply lacked comfort. The razor fought me a little on the ATG.

I’m starting to doubt my stropping skills. I’d like to get at least a week from a razor between honings. Alternately, I could rob a bank and get a really nice 7-day set.

Before I learned the wonder of pastes, the West Point seemed to keep an edge the longest. It’s been sitting in the cupboard, waiting for my attention. Hopefully this weekend I’ll refresh it with the new tools. At the very least, I need to hone up something for next week. More hotel shaves are on the horizon.

I got lucky and found myself with honing time. I took my little collection of worn edges and went to it with gusto. These were touch-ups, refreshing edges. I sat and realized that I hadn't done much reading on this task. What to do?

I did about ten laps on 3 micron, twenty or so 1, and another twenty on 0.3. All were very gentle, with little or no pressure. HHTs came easy. I finished with thirty on CrOx basla, and thirty on felt with diamond. I saved the leather strop for pre-shave.

Then I got curious, and pulled out the Torrey that got me started. I honed it up to a good HHT3, polished it, and put it in the front of the queue.

Torrey time, revisiting the old 4/8 near-wedge from shave #1.

I wasn't expecting anything magical. It was a fair shave. WTG, XTG, XTG-opposite left me with a near-SAS. I went for a half pass ATG, and got an ok CCS. It wasn't so close, and it wasn't so comfortable, but I couldn't really complain. It didn't seem to be a sharpness problem. The short thick steep bevel was just different.

Back to the Hot Springs Gem. I stropped 30 on leather, lathered up MWF, and gave it a try using my typical approach.

The WTG was a pleasant surprise. I may have been cautiously delicate, using very light pressure. Still, it shaved nicely, with little whispery pops cutting hair and very little resistance. I took stock after the XTGs. It wasn't as close as I expected. Maybe I was too soft or shallow. I did a half-pass ATG, for a fair DFS. I had a little burn, nothing harsh, but more than usual.

I wonder if I over did things with my touch-ups, going too fine on the films? Or maybe I didn't polish enough and the edge is still rough. I've been reading a bit since. Maybe I'll try CrOx only next time.

Maybe I should fine a loup. That might help me see what's happening. Ugh. More to buy.

I got bold this morning and tried something new.
I've been doing 3.5 passes for my typical straight shave. I do WTG, XTG, XTG opposite, and a partial ATG (no neck). I'd like to trim that down. So I tried skipping the first pass. I compensated by making the first XTG a bit on the WTG diagonal.

It didn't work. I got more feedback from the razor, I had to fight just a tad more than usual, and the final shave was less than great.

No big deal. It's a curiosity answered. I won't do that again for a while.

#Doesn't Count

I'm on a 8am flight today, from my not-so-favorite airport. That means I was up early. I dusted off the mild and mindlessly safe at 4:30am EJ and went for a DE shave today.

Granted this isn't my favorite razor, but as I sit here a few hours later I notice a bit more stubble than I've become used to with my straight shaves. I'm sure a little extra time and a my bestest DE kit could still do a bang-up BBS. Still, it's nice to see my straight shaves ranking well against a blearly-eyed DE shave. :001_smile

ps... The PIF I posted in the Haberdashery is getting some action. I like it.

Last edited:

I had a really good hotel shave this morning.

I brought two blades this time, and today I started with my favorite, the West Point. I hadn't used this one in a few weeks. In the first pass I remembered how much I like this razor. I'm not sure why, but I always get the best shaves from it. I think I'm doing to dump a few of the others on BST pretty soon. I've given them a fair shake, and there is no point in bad shaves at this stage. I'm starting to learn what I like.

I should measure this blade. I think it's 6/8 or a bit over. The blade seems shorter, but that might be the aspect ratio that's fooling my eyes. And I like the round point. This is the shape I'll be looking for in time to come.

It was 3.5 passes of goodness this morning, with Cella and Keils ASB from my travel kit. Fingers crossed, with good luck and good technique, I'll be shaving with it all week.

Good hotel shave today.

This was my second shave on the West Point. - felt no big change in sharpness. Got a DFS with no/low irritation. That makes today a good day. I stropped 20 prior, 20 before to the finishing ATG, and 60 post. All on leather. I have no cloth component in my travel kit. I'm focusing on my stropping technique lately, trying to keep the strokes long and delicate.

I'm going to stay with this blade for as long as possible. It got honed and touched-up the same as the others, but it's just plain better. I wonder how long I can keep this edge sharp and smooth.

Third consecutive shave on the West Point, and I'm still a happy guy.

It was another fine hotel shave this morning. I stropped the same numbers as yesterday, paying special care to strop very lightly. Edge longevity is one of my weaknesses. I'm hoping this helps.

With two fine shaves already this week, I really went for broke today. I even blade buffed a little on my ATG pass, but only with some very serious skin stretching. It took some extra time, but I got my hands in there and made the skin extra tight anytime I could. I even used my hands for my chin and upper lip. I think it helped, and I plan to do it again. I do feel just a bit over-shaved today, but it's nothing as harsh as some of the razor burn I've felt before.

The good news: I got best-yet shaves on my sideburns, parts of my cheeks, and upper lip. Even feeling ATG a few hours later there is absolutely zero stubble. None. A first taste of true BBS with a straight. I like it.

If you can get your hands on an old Boker or a shiny Clauss, they are worth it. I find them very easy to hone and they hold their edges.

Last night, in a flash of curiosity, I opened the razor I've been using and gave it a quick test. It passed the HHT with nice quiet-ish cuts and no snagging. That's three shaves done, and it's still sharp. Is it the steel? Is it the shape? My stropping? My shaving? Some combination I'm sure, but I have no idea where to put the emphasis. This one is 6/8, making it the widest blade I've used. It's also a heavier grind, maybe half hollow. Something about the shape and weight makes it more enjoyable to shave. I'll be keeping my eyes open for more like this.

It was a fair shave this morning, though a bit rushed. I had another early morning flight to catch. I did the same process as yesterday. Lots of gentle stropping, lots of skin stretching, and just a little buffing here and there. I caught myself getting too steep a few times. I left one pink spot on the side of my chin. No blood was lost. I was just a bit too harsh. I hope I didn't impact the edge too much with my heavy hand.

I got a nice DFS, but it wasn't as comfortable as yesterday. My face is faintly warm feeling. Perhaps I'm getting a bit too cavalier. Gotta remember to stay patient and humble, or this razor will surely put me in my place.

Today I was back to my home sink, with a two day shave to knock down. The shave was fine, but not quite as comfortable. The only change was the products. At home it's MWF and AoS balm. I'm already doubting the AoS stuff (the vitamin C sting annoys me). I use it because SWMBO lovesthe scent. Now I've started me questioning the MWF. I've never had trouble lathering it, I love the lanolin, but the shaves aren't quite there.

I did check the edge post shave, post stropping. It passed HHT withnice pops all down the edge. Maybe I should give it a quick CrOx just to be sure. This was shave number 5 on one edge. That's pretty good for me.

My 5 o'clock shadow arrived at 1:30 today. Why? Because I tried to fix 'The Fat.' It didn't work.

I put a drop of glycerin on the puck before loading. Result: worst MWF shave yet. It was magical vanishing later. A total mistake. I kept reloading, and it kept dying on my face. I didn't even bother with my last pass.

Didn't try the CrOx I mentioned yesterday. I'll see what tomorrow brings and go from there.

Top Bottom