Another kamisori translation challenge?

Discussion in 'General Straight Razor Talk' started by Legion, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Legion

Legion Moderator Emeritus

I got my new baby in the mail today (thanks Jared). Would any of you Japanese readers like to help me with the writing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Can't speak Japanese, but very cool razor. I think kentos does though. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

3. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

Well my Japanese is rusty, but the main gist of the first pic is that the razor is guaranteed to be the best cutting razor, incomparable to any other, either due to superior materials, craftmanship, or both. I cant make out some of the characters.

The stamps on the razor say I think, ""specially forged razor", then "Inoue Tosuke made". The first character is worn and I can't make it out, and I don't have experience with kamisori so I can't get it from the context...someone else will chime in for sure.

4. Legion

Thanks mate. That's a great start.

5. Definitely, the part on the bottom is Inoue Tosuke. I don't read the characters, but they are identical to what I've seen on many other Tosuke razors. Telly B. can read this stuff, so maybe he'll talk about the writing on the top. I think the topmost characters say "specially made" or "high quality" -- I see them on lots and lots of kamisoris, even those not made by Tosuke.

6. it reads in full....."made in China".

7. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly, I think this may be one of the few things not yet knocked-off in China.

8. Legion

It's interesting that the Tosuke stamp is on the hard steel and the other stamp is on the soft bit. I wonder if they were sort of a group effort, like Tosuke was forging the cutting edges while an apprentice was forging the handles and then they welded a bunch together at a time, or something like that.