What's new

Another effective way of using the Alum Block

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In my previous tutorial entitled How to use the Alum Block I explained what exactly is the Alum Block and how to properly use it, showing the two main ways this is done. Now I'd like to give you a third option that lately I've been experimenting with great success. Let's imagine that you want to keep things simple and economical and have no aftershave balm, splash or lotion at your disposal when putting down the razor. The only AS treatment in your hands is the Alum Block. As we know this is an extremely effective antiseptic and astringent, but actually has no moisturizing or softening properties. Many wet shavers, in fact, cannot use it alone because of the never-ending itchy sensation or rough feeling this produces post shave, no matter if you rinse it off or not. Hence, what to do? Easy, add a facial soaping with a bar of soap after the Alum Block. Yes, any bar of soap of your choice will do the trick. If this bar of soap contains skin friendly ingredients as tallow, lanolin and a good quantity of glycerin it's clearly even better. Here is how to proceed:

1. After shaving apply a wet Alum Block all over your face;
2. Leave it on one or two minutes;
3. Rinse it off with cold water;
4. Soap your face carefully with a bar of soap;
5. Rinse it off with cold water and dry.

This way you will have everything you actually need as a post shave treatment and your skin will feel wonderfully smooth, tight and clean.

Good read and advice Marco! :thumbup1:

I'll try this next time I want to wear some cologne and don't want an AS clashing with it. :001_smile

I have been doing this for a while now and am happy to report that this works well for me to.
/thorsten

I ordered an Osma Alum Block about 1 1/2 years ago and have come to realize the true value of this little bloc. I get more compliments on how great my skin looks and part of the credit belongs to the Alum Bloc. It tightens and tones my skin while providing the cleansing antiseptic care without being harsh to my skin. I follow the same routin that Marco described but have not tried using any soap as I like to apply the RazoRock AfterShave Wax which I highly recommend. I did get a nice Italian made soap with olive oil which I will try with the alum bloc. I will add this little tid bit and that is my alum bloc when I bought it was 75g which is very small. I think it is still that same size as they last forever.

I like what the alum does, but it's too sticky (helps when I need traction for skin stretching). Even when washing it off with warm or cold water I can't wash the stuff off.

Very cool. I love my alum block, but find it leaves my skin too dry in the winter. I am going to give this a try.

Thanks Marco.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? This is new? I'm not being sarcastic, really wondering. I've always done this.

And, +1 on dropping the alum block, it's not just tile floors.

My current block is of questionable material, it has become sharp and I cannot rub it on my skin anymore. It's not that old.

Did I miss something? This is new? I'm not being sarcastic, really wondering. I've always done this... My current block is of questionable material, it has become sharp and I cannot rub it on my skin anymore. It's not that old.

Many shavers and many different ways we use the same product. If your Block is too sharp, rub it in your slightly wet/more than damp hands and then apply like an Aftershave Splash... Now you've just learned of another way :thumbup:

Great suggestion.

I notice without the alum block treatment after my straight razor shave I am much more prone to burning around mid-day. The alum block not only helps right after my shave but seems to let my post shave balm work all day.

Is there any advantage using an after shave balm after doing all of this?

Does the soap was the alum off better or something?

Cheers

Top Bottom