What's new

America's Test Kitchen has me confused!!!

Dear Fellow Foodlovers, Chefs, Gourmets, Gourmands, and those who just love to cook their own devised dishes,

I was looking about the 'Net for comparison information between an All-Clad 12 inch fry pan, and a Tramontina Gourmet Clad Tri-ply 12 inch fry pan. At one time, A.T.K./Cook's Illus. stated that both pans were similar in design and shape. This weekend, I find the A.T.K. write-up stating that All-Clad had changed their design, to where the actual cooking surface in the pan measured only 8 inches across the flat, and could not be suggested, since the pan could not afford space to their required 2 steaks/4 chicken pieces used for their test!

I could not fathom A.T.K. attempting to continue "a comparison test" if these two stated pans are so dissonant!

Did I overlook sometthing, or has any of you nice folks seen this same write-up?

T.I.A.F.T.R.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Whenever a TV show is involved, I always consider sponsorship as part of their 'review'.

Dear kelbro,

re: "Whenever a TV show is involved, I always consider sponsorship as part of their 'review'."

First, thanks for reading my quandry.
Second, one of the A.T.K.'s sponsors is QVC, which at 10am CST today, and during the infamous "In the Kitchen with David" at 11AM CST today, were doing nothing less than hawking All-Clad.
So, with that piece of information that i have either reminded or informed you, how can you answer my quandry?

I haven't seen or read about anything you are under quandary.
It may be, like what I see on the show, is that always have included their past winners in new tests even though the are not the new winner.

But, I quit watching it when the kicked the founder out.
I'm reading his new stuf: Milk Street. And, waiting on this to hit tv.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have an older All Clad (5 layer) and it is 12" with about 10.5" working area. If they changed the dimensions, it might no longer be comparable with the Tramontina. Tramontina generally makes pretty good stuff.

I'm not a fan of Cooks Illustrated, but I am a fan of All Clad. Tramontina, Calphalon and the other made in China clones do not quite measure up. Having said that, never pay retail for AC; seek out the 3 or 5 ply at TJ Maxx or the like. My 2 cents from someone who has been cooking for many decades.

Top Bottom