What's new

Am I doing something wrong...

I switched to wet shaving about 3 months ago. I bought a Futur as my first razor based on reviews. But I could not get the blade to align. One side was much more aggressive than the other and I could not fix it so I returned to Amazon. I then bought a Merkur 34c HD. It has been SO Easy to learn with that it has been a pleasure changing from cartridge.

So here is my question, I seem to get the same shave no matter what blade or soap I use. I read all the comments about how this is better than that by wide margins but I just cant tell any difference hardly. My beard is grey and med heavy so its not like i have nothing to shave. I have tried about 10 different highly acclaimed soaps and blades. They all seem good.

Here is my process which I do not change. I use Noxema at the end of the shower and wash off most of it leaving only a thin layer remaining. I put the lather over it. I always seem to get a good lather no matter the soap. I always do 2 passes WTG. I then use Thayers WH and then Trumpers skin food to finish. I only use a blade about 5 times at most and I cant seem to see much if any difference as long as they are newer. I wonder what i am missing.

One issue is that I am always smooth but never completely smooth BBS. I never cut myself or get irritation. Do you all think if I shaved more aggressively that I would then see a difference between blades and soaps. Am I having it easy only because i settle for an OK shave not totally smooth?

Personally, I think pursuing a BBS isn't worth your time. If you are getting a good shave, you are doing great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The easiest way to irritate yourself is to strive too hard for a "perfect" shave. What's the point of having a slightly closer shave at the expensive of redness and pain?

I'd suggest you stick with your current program. With experience, you'll notice a gradual but steady improvement in your results. Sounds as if you're doing just fine so far.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
One thing to keep in mind is beard reduction. Meaning each pass serves to remove more hair than the last. You may need 3 passes to get a total BBS.

Another thing is the direction the hair grows. Generally hair grows in many different directions. It may grow south on your cheek and north on your neck. Which might lead to you feeling a little stubble in some areas and a complete BBS in other areas.

Here's a beard map that will help you chart which direction your hair grows. Once you do the initial WTG pass you can use the chart to know which areas require a South to North pass. Or maybe a West to East past. Commonly called Against The Grain (ATG) and Across The Grain (XTG).

Me personally...I never sought the BBS shave. I would simply do a couple passes that made me look clean shaven and call it good. No one can really tell if you are BBS or not. Only yourself.

Attachments

• beardmap.jpg
    beardmap.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 10
For me, I get the same shave if I try for the same shave the way you describe with two WTG passes. I wouldn't expect much of a change other than face feel, post-shave feel, or slickness when it comes to different soaps or creams. Likewise, perhaps you are using similarly agreeable blades. I find a huge difference between merkur, feather, and astra, but little to no difference between astra, polsilver, permasharp, and gillette yellows (razor remaining constant), so it may depend on the blade.

I really notice a difference between razors, as you have. What changing creams and soaps did for me was finding a product that allowed me to go ATG and XTG with comfort...as you suggested, a more aggressive shave. Well, it's also just fun to shave with different scents :)

My two cents.
Happy shaves,
mvd

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
As Chris has mentioned, a BBS shave might not be necessary.

Most of the results of the shave will be due to your prep and technique. I can get a perfectly comfortable BBS shave with a Gillette Blue Tip and Derby blades. What areas on your face get the poorest results? It might be a matter of blade angle, beard mapping, or, if you need to, stretching your skin a bit, as you would when using a straight razor.

Very thoughtful remarks everyone, thanks. I guess since I have really had little to no problems switching to DE shaving, I was wondering if I was just wimping out being good with clean shave and not going to BBS. I think I might have it easier in that my beard grows north to south all over my face except the very bottom of the neck. I bought a mixed set of blades and all seem good tho the feather did seem slightly sharper. I think the 34c is mild enough it might seem to tame the Feather some. Since I am new i do not have a feel for pressure. So i just use whatever causes me to get the nice cutting sound. That might be why I cant tell any difference in blade sharpness.

It's hard to beat success. It sounds like you have hit a sweet spot, so unless you just want to try things out or experiment, stick with what gives you a good shave.

lose the Noxema, it is a layer of grease. I use same Merkur 34C and BBS is effortless, stretch skin, use a really light touch. Blades are sharp but not after 5 uses. I use them once. They are cheap.

I get BBS in two passes and it is not overdoing it and irritating the skin. Shave takes 5 minutes total. Shave against grain. Try That. It says you always do 2 passes WTG? You will never get BBS that way, stretch skin and go against the grain. I cannot stress how lightly you must hold the razor while doing this. I rub my face with my left hand and wield the razor with the right hand in constant motion for the clean up pass. With lots of cream in between. Just glide the blade over the skin, stretch skin with left, pull upward with the razor in right, real soft, real smooth. Never get irritation.

So i just use whatever causes me to get the nice cutting sound
Sound is a variable in blades and razors but not a guide to the efficient cutting angle. A shallow blade angle (blade to skin angle) is the best cutting angle which would nearer the cap than the safety bar. I find that angle quieter than a steep blade angle which introduces more scraping and possible irritation i.e. razor burn.
Perhaps you may wish to experiment with WTG & XTG and then WTG & ATG if you want to stay with 2 passes. Compare each for a week and then decide which works best. You may also wish to experiment with a 3 pass shave although that is no guarantee of BBS; not for me anyway.

Than you have a very very very good prep that softens you beard so you can easily save with a sharp shell, just kidding.
Be happy that you can't tell the difference between blades.
About the pressure, you should let the weight of the razor do it's thing, you would not believe me but if you press it, shave will be less closer since surface won't be flat and razor will have hard time shaving.
So less pressure and right angle.

I just recently tried Noxema as a pre shave and it worked very well. If you want a closer shave I would think you would have to do an atg pass.

First off all you're doing good chasing that bbs, nothing better than striving for perfection. That said I also vote against the noxema, it's unnecessary bad chemicals on the open pores of your face, try a nice pre shave cream instead. If you want to change the end result, you need to change the way you shave, the blades will just make it easier or harder for you (or in your case no change at all). Going ATG maybe too aggressive and usually causes irritation. I like to go WTG and two passes XTG. Check some youtube videos (geofatboy and executive shaving made some nice ones). To go XTG on your neck feel how the grain goes with your fingers for the first couple of times, after that you won't have to. If all goes well this method gives me a bbs.

Good luck and happy shavings.

The easiest way to irritate yourself is to strive too hard for a "perfect" shave. What's the point of having a slightly closer shave at the expensive of redness and pain?

I'd suggest you stick with your current program. With experience, you'll notice a gradual but steady improvement in your results. Sounds as if you're doing just fine so far.

Ouch is right on the money (as usual).

First off, welcome to B&B! A BBS shave is not a requirement, but some days we all want a closer shave than other days. (Which often depends upon what we are doing and who we are meeting).

If you want a closer shave, I would suggest more than 2 passes and varying the direction. I don't think going with the grain for both passes is going to yield a very close shave. (But may be perfectly acceptable for most days).

I change the direction each pass. (With the grain, across the grain, etc.) Plus, sometimes after 3 passes, I add a touch-up pass to just go over the portions of my faces where my beard is the toughest.

Another thing you might want to do is trying different blades.

Good luck and continued success.

Personally, I think pursuing a BBS isn't worth your time. If you are getting a good shave, you are doing great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

+1. IMO, moving to the 34C was a great move. I would stick with that and focus on technique.

Better shaves will come with time! The main this is to have fun!

Top Bottom