What's new

Alum Block vs Septic Pencil?

The Styptic is Aluminum Sulfate. Not the same as Potassium Alum at all.

Use alum as an all-over face astringent. Styptic for spotting nicks and to stop minor bleeding. I wouldn't use the Styptic as you would an Alum block.

-- John Gehman
Alum blocks can be made from aluminum potassium sulfate as well.

In practice, I have found that using an alum block on freshly-shaved skin will feel anywhere from nothing at all to a VERY slight burning, depending on the quality of my technique (usually just a slight tingle). If I were to try that with a STYPTIC (as I assume you meant, since septic has other...more earthy... connotations) pencil, my whole head would probably explode from the burning pain.

Alum blocks are made from potassium alum and are a mild astringent and antiseptic, usually used over the whole face during your post-shave ritual, before applying your aftershave or balm. Styptic pencils are made of some other (unknown to me) substance - they're opaque white as opposed to alum's semi-transparency - and are used for sealing up any larger-than-weeper-sized cut that's still bleeding post-shave. Styptics are effective at that, but at the cost of a major burning sensation.

I have and use both, but I use my alum block after every shave, and I can't remember the last time I took out my styptic pencil. Since I have been using an alum block I have noticed that overall my skin looks better, but this may be coincidence, since I also switched over to DE's from my M3 at the same time.

Bottom line: I would use an alum block after every shave to seal and disinfect your face, but use a styptic pencil only to stop bleeding from a shaving cut that otherwise won't close up.

I used the alum block on my face for the first time today and it did a great job closing up cuts and didn't sting nearly as much as the styptic pencil.

I bought mine from Classic Shaving for about $12.00 though it can be had for less. You might want to try ethnic (Indian, Arabic) stores in your area, if you have them.

RazoRock hangs out around here, too.

Thanks for the info.

Classic Shaving one costs me a lot due to shipment charges. (I'm in Turkey.)

I can buy this for 1 dollar but unsure if it would work:

proxy.php

Last edited:
You're in Turkey? Well! From what I understand, you've got access to some things that we here in the USA don't!

I don't read Turkish, but if that block says that it's alum, I would be more than willing to bet that it'd work.

Welcome!

Thanks for the info.

proxy.php

ferroburak --

The alum you show is just fine. For us in the US, Tulumba offers the same thing. I've been using it for about three years.

-- John Gehman

Thanks for the info.

proxy.php

Hi Ferroburak,

If the ingredients are Potassium Alum and water, it should work; just stay away from the ammonium alum products. Most of the commercial Alum blocks are recrystallized and then polished but some of the less expensive blocks are not polished much and are not very smooth; make sure to check it with your fingers before rubbing it against your face, I've scratched my neck and cheeks a few times testing out different qualities of product. If you need any other advice or help, feel free to fire me an email.

best,

Joseph

Last edited:
Hi Ferroburak,

If the ingredients are Potassium Alum and water, it should work; just stay away from the ammonium alum products. Most of the commercial Alum blocks are recrystallized and then polished but some of the less expensive blocks are not polished much and are not very smooth; make sure to check it with your fingers before rubbing it against your face, I've scratched my neck and cheeks a few times testing out different qualities of product. If you need any other advice or help, feel free to fire me an email.

best,

Joseph

Hi,
I think ingredients are not indicated on the box. I will go to a local store and try to learn. Thanks.

You're in Turkey? Well! From what I understand, you've got access to some things that we here in the USA don't!

I don't read Turkish, but if that block says that it's alum, I would be more than willing to bet that it'd work.

Welcome!

Thanks for your welcome :w00t:

Anti-persiprant basically has the same ingredient as an alum block...closing the pores?

Potassium Alum isn't the ingredient used in mainstream antiperspirant; those ingredients are aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium. The latter forms a temporary 'plug' that blocks the pores and inhibits perspiration.

Hi,
I think ingredients are not indicated on the box. I will go to a local store and try to learn. Thanks.

I actually just bought three of these on Amazon, $1 is a bargain. It looks like the exact same block except mine has a green label but the same print. It says the ingredients are Potassium and Water.

Top Bottom