What's new

Alden Shoe Restoration v. B. Nelson Shoe Restoration

AE does a great job, I have had several pairs re-crafted, one pair even twice. However, I just had a pair done at Nelson's and they also did a marvelous job!! They re-crafted the pair that was done twice already by AE. From the workmanship and quality of the re-crafting, they are as good as the AE work is. Just a bit cheaper....

You made a good point there with "disposable" shoes. From young age on I was told that good shoes is the best you do for you and your feet. My parents boight us always the best shoes they could afford. I always look at people's shoes, tells you a lot....Expensive shoes are in the long run cheaper than cheap shoes.

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking I'll send them to B. Nelson because of the price and quick turn around. I ride the subway each day to work and I'm constantly amazed by men's lack of care for their appearance, dirty shoes and baggy suits. I'm not perfect but I do take time to wife off any dirt or mud from my shoe.

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking I'll send them to B. Nelson because of the price and quick turn around. I ride the subway each day to work and I'm constantly amazed by men's lack of care for their appearance, dirty shoes and baggy suits. I'm not perfect but I do take time to wife off any dirt or mud from my shoe.

At least they are wearing suits.

Out here on the left coast, seems the only people wearing suits are lawyers and executives of some sort, and they tend to be pretty well fitted.

I just shipped my brown AE Delrays to AE. They were pretty much shot. The sole on the left shoe had worn to the cork but the uppers are in excellent shape. I opted for the $150 service just to get the re-cork and the trees.
I will keep you gentlemen updated...

AE just emailed me to let me know my shoes have been recrafted and shipped. They even sent before and after pics. See below...
$before.jpg$after.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Thanks for posting the before and after photos. They look great. When they arrive let us know how they fit. I see you posted on 1/31 that you sent your shoes in. So the turnaround is less than 4 weeks. Not too shabby.

AE just emailed me to let me know my shoes have been recrafted and shipped. They even sent before and after pics. See below...

They look great. As Bob mentioned, please do let us know how they fit. I have heard mostly good things, but a few have said they messed up the fit.

I will post a few pics of my own when I receive them.
Man, I hope they didn't screw up the fit because they were the most comfortable shoes I've got.
I did ship them to AE on 1/31, UPS delivered them on 2/4.
So, that's a little over two weeks. They shipped them to me via FedEx and there is no ETA yet but my guess is that they will deliver on Monday.
Ill keep you gentlemen updated.

FedEx delivered the shoes on Friday but I was out of town until Sunday. Total turnaround time was 11 business days.
I am very relieved to report that they still fit great. I can tell there is new cork but the imprint of my foot is still there although not as pronounced.
I would post more pics but there is really nothing more to see that what I posted earlier (before and after).
I received the trees, polish and flannel bags too. Everything was well packaged.

I just contacted B. Nelson and received a prompt email back from Nick. Once we finalize the details, I'll take some "before" shots of my shoes and some "afters" once I have them back.

My shoes are cole haan wingtips, but don't get it twisted - they are the pre - Nike area ones. They are "benchmade" in England. I've been wearing them since about 2008 so they definitely have some miles on them.

My hope is that it will be interesting to see how B. Nelson does on a pair of Non-Aldens. Also, It will allow me to test out the service before sending in my leather soul Hawaii #8 shortwings

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I just contacted B. Nelson and received a prompt email back from Nick. Once we finalize the details, I'll take some "before" shots of my shoes and some "afters" once I have them back.

My shoes are cole haan wingtips, but don't get it twisted - they are the pre - Nike area ones. They are "benchmade" in England. I've been wearing them since about 2008 so they definitely have some miles on them.

My hope is that it will be interesting to see how B. Nelson does on a pair of Non-Aldens. Also, It will allow me to test out the service before sending in my leather soul Hawaii #8 shortwings

My experience with Nick at B. Nelson was a very positive one whereas Bob's (beginish) experience with Cole Haan directly has been less than satisfying.

Good luck.

Looking forward to the before and after pics. :thumbup1:

Just got my B. Nelson shipping bag today. I thought Nick was sending a box but apparently the shoes will be safe shipped in the bag that was sent? Tomorrow night, I'll snap some before pictures and then I think I'll bubble wrap everything and put them in the bag. I know I have the actual shoe bags around here somewhere but I dont' think its worth my time to dig them out.

Getting excited!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Both Alden and B. Nelson send shipping bags and I didn't have any problem but wrapping your shoes certainly won't hurt. I did put my shoes in their original shoe bags to B. Nelson (asking that the original shoe bags be returned to me, which they did) and Alden (their restoration program sends the shoes back wrapped in plastic bags but includes shoe bags in the box.

You should expect the finished product in about 2 weeks. :yesnod:

Just got my B. Nelson shipping bag today. I thought Nick was sending a box but apparently the shoes will be safe shipped in the bag that was sent? Tomorrow night, I'll snap some before pictures and then I think I'll bubble wrap everything and put them in the bag. I know I have the actual shoe bags around here somewhere but I dont' think its worth my time to dig them out.

When I sent my shoes in to them, I didn't have one of the B. Nelson shipping bags, but just used one of those generic gray plastic shipping bags. I just wrapped them a couple of times around with paper towels. They came back looking great. I didn't order bags nor did I include bags to be returned. If I recall correctly, they came back individually wrapped in plastic and stuffed with tissue paper in a box.

Gentleman -

Here is documentation of the condition of my Cole Haans prior to B. Nelson's services. I will be opting for the Standard Sole and Heel Recraft Package ($90) in addition to "back-liners" to repair the liner in the shoe ($40). $130 to keep these shoes going for at least another 5 years ($26 per year) seems completely appropriate to me.

Here they are - English Benchmade Cole Haan Wingtips. purchased in Spring of 2008. On average, I wear these shoes 3-4 times per week. They have been with me all across the US, survived several bachelor parties in Vegas, and have even walked a few miles in several European countries. They hug my feet like a glove, and I hope that the fit will be the same when I get them back from B. Nelson

Here is a shot from the front. As you can see, the primary concerns here are the damage to the toe, and the separation in the sole. Please note you can also see that the rubber topy I have on the bottom of my shoe has separated. These will not be replaced.

As you can see - there is damage to the liner and foot bed:

And finally - a shot of the heels.

These will be in the mail tomorrow and then the waiting begins! Will be sure to document the final product once I receive them back!

Top Bottom