What's new

Alden Shoe Restoration v. B. Nelson Shoe Restoration

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have been meaning to get a couple of Alden Shell Cordovan shoes repaired. I have read about both the Alden Restoration program and the B. Nelson shoe repair in New York so I decided I was going to give them both a try and have a little side-by-side comparison, if you will.

So I went to the Aldenshop website and ordered a pre-paid priority package as well as going to the B. Nelson website and ordering one from them as well.

Here are the two bags side-by-side.

The front of the B. Nelson bag.

This is a Straight Tip Blucher Oxford in Mahogany Shell Cordovan. I decided that these shoes were going back to Alden.

The next pair is a Norwegian Split Toe in Black Shell Cordovan. This pair is going to B.Nelson. The only reason I decided to send these to B. Nelson is that these are the shoes they picture in their advertisement.

Here are the two bags set to go out. I placed them in their Alden Flannel bags for extra protection.

They were both mailed out today.

B.Nelson indicates approximately a 2 week turnaround.
Alden suggests a 6-10 week turnaround.

Both shoes will receive the full treatment. New heels, refill the cork lining, new padded insoles (if necessary). Let's see if either company thinks its necessary. I think both require new insoles. New laces, the NST need some re-stitching (let's see if B. Nelson notices it).

I ordered the Joh. Redenbach soles from B. Nelson which costs $35.00 more than their standard resoling price.

The price for the B. Nelson repair is $125.00
The price for the Alden repair is $159.00

Now all I have to do is wait... Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this Bob, it will be interesting to see the results. The one pair of shoes I had reconditioned have yet to feel right.

Ack! I hate finding these posts so soon after they've started...looks like it's time to break out a book to read while waiting! :)

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Thank you so very much for posting this. I have often wondered about which route to go when the time arrives. So many people recommend B. Nelson, but I would think that the company of manufacture should be the better bet. I will anxiously be awaiting.

On a side note, how is the price comparison between the two, or is it based on what needs to be done?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I thought the same thing which is why I want to see if there is a difference. B. Nelson is highly regarded so I figured I'd give them a shot.

The price point between the two can be considerable depending on the work you choose to have done. Alden is a flat rate of $159.00 whereas B. Nelson can be as low as $90.00.

Alden includes shoe trees which I already have for those shoes so I guess I'm paying for shoe trees I don't need (I guess I have to buy another pair of Aldens :rolleyes: )

B. Nelson has a standard resole package for $90 which does not include shoe trees nor does it include their premium Joh. Redenbach leather soles (which they say are recommended by Laszlo Vass).

I am concerned, as Henry expressed, whether the shoes will feel the same after being reconditioned which is why I think going back to Alden is the move since the shoes will be put on the same last. However B. Nelson indicates that they are the only shoe repair company that uses wooden lasts (like the original manufacturer) to repair their shoes so we shall see.

Time to resume the waiting (is the hardest part).

As a side note, this is the first time either of these shoes are being reconditioned. Both pair are at least 10 years old.

I have used the Johnston & Murphy Restoration program on two occasions, once with fine results and another with mediocre results (like Henry's experience, the fit of the shoe changed somewhat).

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Wow, I just mailed the shoes yesterday and already have my first update.

I received a call earlier today at my home from Nick (I presume it is Nick Valenti who, according to the website, is the President of B. Nelson.)

He sounded very professional and indicated that he wanted to speak to me regarding the proposed repairs. He left a phone number and the hours that he would be available.

I will return his call tomorrow.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Had a nice chat with Nick today. We spoke for about 10 minutes. Very nice guy and of course, quite knowledgable about his craft.

He told me to expect my shoes within a week.

He indicated that he was vaguely familiar with B&B and was going to check out the site.

Nelson is just 3 blocks from my office and my experience has been very good but it will certainly be interesting to see how they compare with Alden.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I noticed that Alden cashed my check on 9/14. If Alden's estimate of 6-10 weeks is accurate, the earliest I will get the shoes back from Alden is October 22nd.

The shoes from B. Nelson should be arriving this week.

So the next question will be: are you going to wait for the Alden shoes to come back before trying on the B. Nelson Shoes? :-o

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So the next question will be: are you going to wait for the Alden shoes to come back before trying on the B. Nelson Shoes? :-o

Don't see the need to wait for the Aldens to return. I don't think I could bear the thought of waiting another five weeks before the Aldens return. :biggrin:

I've used both, Alden a few years ago and B Nelson very recently. The Alden's came back looking almost like new and felt like new, broken in shoes - exactly as I expected. The other Aldens I sent to B Nelson needed some minor repair work on the toe and a complete resole. I almost just tossed but I figured for $100 I'd see how they turned out. A couple of weeks later the arrived back looking incredible. The repair work on the torn leather was greatly minimized and overall I was quite happy with them. They fit was just as they had been when they were sent in. There is a minor issue with the insole that I'm working through with them but I'm sure it will get taken care of.

They've also completely rebuilt a pair of birkenstock sandals that came back perfect. I'm getting ready to have another pair of aldens resoled with the danite soles, and yet another needs heels. Lot's of mail back and forth but overall I'm happy.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Thanks for the input Dripp. Anxiously awaiting the return of my shoes as well. I hope I have the same positive experience that you did.

Top Bottom