What's new

Aftershave samples review

To the OP, would you mind telling me which AS Splashes you found the most moisturizing? I saw you mentioned in a few of the TOBS AS samples that they left a nice feeling on your face. I really appreciate this thread and your scent descriptions but I'm interested in the thread to find out face feel. Anything that has a bad drying effect would not work for me and my dry skin.
Hopefully I would mention the ones that really dry me out, but without searching through all of them again, the most moisturizing feeling are the following in no particular order:

Floid
Pitralon
Speick
DR Harris
ToBS
GFT
Stephan's
Gabel's
Myrsol
and so far Dr Jon's
Of course none will moisturize as well as a balm, and each has there own qualities.

Pinaud tended more toward the drying side. If there is a single scent you want to try in any of those lines I would say order a sample from Maggard, Garry, or Shoebox.
They all have great customer service and awesome shipping skills.

Hopefully I would mention the ones that really dry me out, but without searching through all of them again, the most moisturizing feeling are the following in no particular order:

Floid
Pitralon
Speick
DR Harris
ToBS
GFT
Stephan's
Gabel's
Myrsol
and so far Dr Jon's
Of course none will moisturize as well as a balm, and each has there own qualities.

Pinaud tended more toward the drying side. If there is a single scent you want to try in any of those lines I would say order a sample from Maggard, Garry, or Shoebox.
They all have great customer service and awesome shipping skills.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I received a bottle of Floid Black and DR Harris Windsor a couple days ago and you are right, these are very moisturizing and do not dry out my dry skin. Thanks for the other recommendations as well. I'm going to sample Proraso Green, Speick, and a couple other Floids (Suave/Amber).

This thread has been fantastic by the way, nicely done.

I'll add another very moisturizing aftershave, Wet Shaving Products. I got Gaelic Tweed just this past week and it has a fantastic face feel. Just FYI.

Dr Jon's Gold Label:
This is an earthy scent. Very similar to the smell of tobacco being processed. It also has a slight not quite sweet smell, but a little green maybe. Very strong at the start, fades about 1/2 hour, but lasts a long time. Can smell at least 10 hours later and even slightly in the shower next day. Same great feel as the rest of Dr Jon's AST. Very moisturizing, good alcohol sting.

Dr Jon's Black Label:
Another tobacco smell here, but this one definitely has some sweetness to it too. Hard to describe, but almost smells like caramel to me. Lasts a long time, 12 hours+. Nice feel to the face, not too much alcohol sting.

Overall the Dr Jon's feel very moisturizing to the face, my favourite out of them all is the classic.

I appreciate that you note moisture properties with your reviews these days. This is an awesome thread. I've tried several of these based on your reviews.

Chiseled Face Sherlock:
This is the explanation from the site: (It is a warm tobacco based scent blended with toasted caramel, black pepper, moist dirt, and finished with a touch of leather, moss, mandarin, honey and rose.)
I guess the best i could describe was that it had a vetiver scent with a little bit of the tobacco... Maybe the vetiver was the moist dirt smell ^_^
After dry down faded quite a bit could only smell up close, asked my wife and she said it just smelled good. :)
That is where the spice showed up more. Not very pronounced.
When going on a small amount of burn and a little bit of menthol, not too much. Decent moisturizing properties, tightened face but didn't dry me out.

Chiseled Face Summer Storm:
A very fresh smelling scent. Has a decent alcohol bite and menthol sting. Definitely toning, but a little drying too. This is a very complex scent. Smells a little minty fresh, with a bit of earthiness.
No mint in the online description though... Perhaps the pine and citrus together gives it that fresh scent. Very nice overall, on dry down has a little muskiness but still has an earthy smell as well. Fades after 4 hours or so, but I could still get a whiff of it at days end. Also in the shower the following day could sense it.

Chiseled Face Orange Creamsicle:
Decent alcohol bite and Menthol sting... lasted a good 5 minutes. Scent had a bit of orange scent but a decent amount of vanilla. The sweet vanilla smell lasted a good long time, at least 12 hours. A little drying but not too much.
Reminded me of this:
$Licor_43(1).jpg

Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber:
Very complex scent. Burns pretty good and has menthol cooling as well. This is quite spicy with a bit of sweetness. Very difficult to pick out the individual notes. Knowing what they are I can definitely smell the Bergamot, Cedar. There is a patchouli but not as noticeable as most patchouli. Lasted about 12 hours. Dried me out a little bit, but if splashed on with wet face was much better in the moisturizing department.
The wife liked it, so I guess it is a keeper.

Last edited:
Chiseled Face Cryogen:
This is definitely a Menthol blast. Blow a little air on your face and feel the freeze. I think the first three letters of this AS are appropriate as I have tears running down my face the menthol is that strong. Not sure how this compares to Snakebite, but man if you like a little burn with freezing action, this is it..

JS Sloan 1947:
This is a complex scent. Reminds me a little of polo sport(?) Has a sweet water type note on top with spicy undertones. Wife likes it, she said it didn't really smell that sweet. Face feel was great. Not overly drying, didn't have a strong song. Did tighten up the face but nice overall. Strong scent at first, tapers down and lasts all day.

Barberry Coast Havana:
Very nice scent. Alcohol will let you know if you had a bad shave but not overpowering. Has a green tobacco smell as well as vanilla. Not smokey at all if that was what you were thinking. Sweet scent overall. Nice feel. Not drying. lasts about 6+ hours.

Imperial Bergamot:
Very nice scent. Only a little sting due to WitchHazel. No alcohol in this product. Does not dry you out. Scent is a very nice citrus, but is very mild, lasts maybe 2 hours up close. Nice, but need something else after it is gone.

Sweet Comb Chicago AS Balm:
This is really a splash not a balm, but it is very calming to the skin. Small alcohol burn but not much at all. Scent is orange, very much orange, sweet orange. Lasts maybe 2-4 hours, but is very refreshing. Not drying at all, goes on very wet and takes a bit to evaporate.

Top Bottom