What's new

Advice on face moisturizer before or after a good scented alcohol aftershave?

I have been doing a good alcohol aftershave (Clubman, Special Reserve, TOBS Sandalwood, Proraso Green, etc....) then I have been applying a non-scented facial cream like Baxter of California or non-scented Kiehl's original but I am reading if you put the moisturizer on before the aftershave it will lock in the scent longer.

What say the experts on this board?

I apply after. I want the alcohol on my face first, for the antiseptic qualities. Then I moisturize. Also, I apply a cologne so longevity of the AS scent is not a factor.

I use more balms than splashes in winter. I have 8 or 10 balms but this winter can't stop reaching for nivea sensitive. such a nice product. my routine:

shave
cold water rinse
Dickinson's witch hazel
Nivea sensitive balm

I apply after. I want the alcohol on my face first, for the antiseptic qualities. Then I moisturize. Also, I apply a cologne so longevity of the AS scent is not a factor.

Yes^ :001_smile

Another thing you might do is look for splashes that have glycerin. You may find that the splash alone conditions your skin. Depends on your skin type; mine's a little oily so the splash with glycerin is just right for me.

I use this method I received as a tip from a B & B member who got it from a Hollywood makeup artist:

Cold water rinse
Nivea ASB
Thayer's Witch Hazel Cucumber
ASB

It's quite amazing how smooth my face is.

Cold water rinse
WH mixed with Vi-Jon Spice (50/50)
Clean brush and bowl
Apply Aqua Velva Balm

My wife doesn't care much for the Old Spice smell by itself (diluted with WH to make less pungent), but she does like the combo of OS and the AV Balm.

When I use both AS & ASB together, I...
Shower
Shave
Rinse with warm to hot water
* If I have the time and inclination, rub down with alum block
Rinse with witch hazel
Pat dry
Apply AS
Apply ASB before the AS has dried completely (semi blends the two)

1: Cold Water Rinse
2: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic and Aftershave (wait for this to dry down takes only half a minute or so)
3: Apply Alcohol based Aftershave.

1. Full face and neck non scented moisturizer right out of the shower to lock in moisture.
2. Shave
3. Cold water rinse
4. Combine pea size dab of balm with alcohol splash of the day and apply as one.
5. Pair a cologne for longevity of scent.

Top Bottom