What's new

Advice needed : Wade and Butcher vintage razor

Hi all,

Few months ago , I made my first attempt to shave with straight razor after few years of Feather AC, first Cobra and then ATT SE both combs and Asylum RX.

I had couple of inexpensive shave ready vintage razors, got a modular strops tried few times but couldn't achieve a shave comparable with what I got with SE Feather. One of the expert participants , Steve , generously suggested to professionally examine the edge and hone one of the razor but even after it shave wasn't smooth. ( On a positive note I didn't cut myself, there was no irritation, I simply couldn't achieve a good quality, regardless of how many times I did WTG, XTG and ATG). So that I abandoned it and continue to use SE.
A big part of it was of course my subpar technique, but I think it was another reason for it as well : I need to shave horizontally ( 'east to west' on both sides of my neck to get ATG, since my hair there grows toward the ears, and it's geometrically impossible with straight razor because of scales and length of blade. I don't have a coarse/dense hair , no 5 pm shade , but I do need to shave each day.

Today I was passing a thrift shop and saw in the window a Wade and Butcher razor , 5/8 , looks like a full or extra hollow in my unprofessional look, good condition ( or I think it is a good condition), no rust for 58$ ( connection between 5/8 width and 58$ price didn't escape me :). I did a quick search on my cell and found out these razors has a good reputation and may be I should give it a try. It sort of looks sharp in both senses.

I don't know to hone and also , since it's from thrift shop, it have no idea if it needs additional
work like a new bevel, most likely it does.

Maybe some of the experts here can take a look on two attached photos and provide me more info about this particular type of razor. My other two razors are not full hollow , more like quarter hollow, so may be this one will perform a magic and I can achieve BBS with it, even without going ATG on lower neck.

It has SPECIAL on the blade itself with a long arrow goes thru all the letters and on the shoulder it says
Wade & Butcher
Sheffild England
>>---------> +

Thanks in advance

20170214_174750.jpg
20170214_174921.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The success you will have with a straight razor depends on 2 things. The quality of the edge on the razor, and your skill in using it. As you progress in skill level you might find an affinity for 6/8's, heavier grinds, super hollow grounds, Japanese kamisori, etc.

The razor looks to be in good shape.

To get the hairs on your neck you need to do a scything stoke, where the blade moves perpendicular to the growth pattern while simultaneously being slid into it ATG. You could also hold it more diagonally and do the scything stroke to get it a little closer to a true ATG.
Pulling the skin can also expose more of the whisker and might cut closer without ATG.

I have several "Specials" they are fine razors and yours looks to be in good shape. It won't do magic, but if you get it honed properly it will give you a fine shave.

Most likely a very naive question : which razor will "do magic" then ? ( based on what I described ). Since I am using Feather Professional which is very sharp, do I need an extra hollow , also honed very sharp/aggressive ? any particular brand, steel hardness, grind, special bevel angle ?
I also tried to use very slick soap adding extra water ( I don't think it made any difference ).
I understand , since I don't have a thick hair, I need a very sharp blade to achieve BBS without ATG and since no straight can be honed/stropped sharper then Feather Pro or Super Pro ( without a lot of time, expert efforts and special hones), may be my attempts are futile ?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
BBS for most people involves cutting the hair below the surface of the skin. It depends a little on how sharp your blade is, and a lot on how you shave. I think you need to look at a razor as a tool, like a chisel and hammer. You could ask which hammer and chisel will allow me to sculpt marble like Michelangelo? You could get the exact same tools, but you would also need the carving skill of Michelangelo as well.

So I say to you that the Feather is more than adequate to get BBS. The W&B will also give you BBS shaves. Keep practicing and soon you might be able to get BBS from any razor you choose. :001_smile

$58 isn't a real "thrifty" price either given that it still needs to be honed. You could get something like that on Ebay for $20.

Most of the answers to your questions have to do with having any razor honed well and then learning how to use it (which takes a while).

Thanks for everyone, I'll send it for honing and try. If it doesn't do magic after it I put it on eBay to learn how much I can recoup from my 58$ ( or for how much I have been grilled in a shop where I bought it)

Don't blame the shop. Most are absolutely clueless about razor value. $58 isn't horrible for that razor, it's just not great either. I've seen similar ones for $20, I've seen similar ones except with huge chips that totally destroy them for $200.

And yeah, Work on skin stretching. I kinda think that other methods let you get away without doing it right. With a straight it's necessary.

Top Bottom