What's new

Acquisitions for July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure what to say, I entertained some people last night and possibly under the influence of a dirty martini or 3 could have bid on a few random eBay auctions. Checked my eBay page today and it appears I have won 2 already. At least I am not out of pocket much, but I really have no clue what I have purchased, can anyone identify these?

... seriously children stay away from gin, it does evil things, at least to me. I am pleased with the razor and clipper purchases though!

I know what you mean.
Had a couple of wines, got on the internet and now some Old types are underway from France :scared:

The razor seems like an aluminium Tech to me?
Maybe have a look around at www.mr-razor.com and see if you can find the exact matching type.

It could be a 1963 UK version:
proxy.php

I know what you mean.
Had a couple of wines, got on the internet and now some Old types are underway from France :scared:

The razor seems like an aluminium Tech to me?
Maybe have a look around at www.mr-razor.com and see if you can find the exact matching type.

It could be a 1963 UK version:

Ahh thank you I will have a hunt :)

edit: After hunting on the Mr-razor website, it appears it would be a 1976 W4 made in Argentina, not complaining. I would have to see the stamping to confirm when it arrives but the handle and logo stamping appears to be identical.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Awesome find, I really have to hit the antique stores here some day. Maybe dig up some nice old Swedish straights.
So far, I'm just jealeous.

Thanks to Jim and a pair of $25 coupons from the Art of Shaving I picked up a few things from AOS.

I'm going to Tokyo in a couple of weeks on a Mt. Fuji climbing trip so I decided to pick up one of AOS's all in one travel kits (minus a razor). I got the Sandalwood kit and then replaced the cheap AOS brush with my Simpson's Major and added my own T&H Carlton Razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also picked up an AOS Power Shave Power Brush in 'Pure'. I'm a gadget guy so I figured I'd have to try one of these eventually. The quality is pretty good, but the knot is only so so. I'll be doing a full review on this brush in the coming days.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I also got my RV B&B Team 2011 LE Brush in last month but I never got a chance to post the pics. As far as bang for your buck goes this is a very nice brush. Both the handle/knot size are perfect IMHO. I've never ordered a brush from Rudy Vey in the past but I'm sure this won't be my last.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Power brush?? Now I've seen it all.

Now if only they would make a power stop........ :sad:

I was in the AoS shop at Union Station just before Christmas. Very dissappointed by the salesWOMAN who was trying very hard to sell me one of these. When I suggested that my next brush would be a boar I was told that surely that would to sharp and prickly.....

I keep reading of members finding razor jewels in the rough at flea markets so I decided to start my own hunt this weekend. I drove 20-plus miles to a weekend flea market - nothing at all. Went to an area "antique mall." Was excited to see a gold Milord in a case - but was not sure I wanted that for $25 (is that a good deal?). Another two malls and nothing. When I just about had given up, I decided to stop by one that was near the house that specialized in estate sales and in a display case saw this 1955 (A-3) Red Tip for $29. I have one from eBay and really like it and was interested in a back up. It did not look in great condition, with what appeared to be rust and gunk. It just looked old. But using my thumbnail, I could see that it just was covered in soap scum. The proprietor knew a little about razors and was reluctant to bargain, but I got the price down to $13. Took it home and after a soak in scrubbing bubbles, hot water, and with some Maas it cleaned up pretty well. I have a couple of Fat Boys, a Slim, and a Tech, but I enjoy the Red Tip as much as any of them. Shaved with it yesterday and today and it shaves like a dream. Not the $5 Fat Boy miracle finds of which I have read, but I think to find a great condition vintage razor that I enjoy using for $13 is a pretty good deal. What do you think? Some before and after pictures attached

Attachments

• $Before 1.jpg
    $Before 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 235
  • $Before 3.jpg
    $Before 3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 236
  • $After 1.jpg
    $After 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 235
  • $After 3.jpg
    $After 3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 238
'Le Tuft' custom shave brush / custom shave soap bowl / 'PenElegance' series custom pen, all the way from Wales. Directly commissioned from a friend, Bill, who happens to be an excellent craftsman (this is not the first time I have had work done by him).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The brush is essentially a Simpson 57 handle style fitted with a Simpson 24mm Super grade hair knot. After commissioning the work to Bill, I felt my own Simpson brush handle to be a tad small, so I asked if he could pop up the dimensions of the new amber handle he was about to make. I believe the resulting handle is approximately +10% in height and diameter in comparison to a standard Simpson 57. The pictures you see do not do it justice, it is a gorgeous brush, the loft is set at 50mm and the overall weight is quite well above the standard Simpson 57 brush weight.

The handle is made from 'Amber' acrylic and the base was fitted with a red Paua Abalone insert. We had originally opted for Malachite for the insert but for functional reasons with what was available at the time we finally went for the red Paua Abalone. Excellent choice.

The shave soap bowl is made from English Ash and finished with two coats of finishing oil and a wax topcoat which was then cut back and buffed to a semi gloss.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Finally, a very special pen made out of the same material as the brush shown earlier. It is from the very nice 'PenElegance' series Bill makes and takes standard Parker refills. I will keep this in my desk to remind me one of the most beautiful surprises I have ever had upon opening a parcel, and also to keep my memory fresh on the fact that through these forums I have met some very special people and craftsmen like him.

In addition, a Neil Miller leather pouch for straight razors, through a trade with a fellow Swedish member in another forum.

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good deal, I can't pass up a Red Tip for under $15. Cleaned up great, thanks for the "before" pics. I've noticed the plating is thin under the head on a lot of Red Tips, yours looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom