Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the following from Mustafas in Singapore

200 7 O'clock Russian blades
200 Supermax Platinums
2 bottles Denim A/S
25 Shogun stainless blades
Shogun 3 piece DE razor.

I am not entirely sure what to make of this NEW Deluxe set from ebay, but I suspect it was assembled from parts.

The plate has a serial number: 67825, and the handle has "PAT. JAN. 13. 1920 IN U.S.A." and "OTHER PATENTS PENDING" (and a typical hairline crack). There is no letter after the number, but nevertheless I presume 1930. If it were from 1935 it ought to have the NEW patent numbers. The razor has almost all its laquer and gold intact, and may be unused. There is some wear on the cap, which I think it came from rattling around in the case rather than shaving. But the blade bank shows wear and had a P-3 blue blade in it (1920, I think?).

Achim only shows an example of the Deluxe Lady set in 1935, in "jade". But I suppose there may have been a 1930 version in "natural", which has mellowed to this nice butterscotch hue. If so then the blade case is probably a changeling. Or this case was originally part of a New Improved Milady Decolletee set, with the original blade case, and later on the razor was lost or discarded and replaced with the NEW Deluxe.

Anyway it is a very pretty case and razor, whatever its provenance. I am somewhat glad that the cap is flawed, too. This way I have no qualms about trying it out.

Yes the are very pretty. I have an original in the jade. They are circa 1935 and yours seems correct to me. Here is mine. If you're ever interested is selling it I'd like another for my collection.
Mark

Attachments

• $IMG_8551.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 490
  • $IMG_8537.JPG
    $IMG_8537.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 491
  • $IMG_8536.JPG
    $IMG_8536.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 489
Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up some wood ( Pink Ivory, Coco Bolo, Bocotte, Macassar Ebony, among others) that should make some interesting scales for my projects. I also picked up an Opti Visor as I'm tired of using clip on magnifiers, swing arm magnifiers etc. as I'm working on blades. I also was on a business trip today and of course my car knew just where to stop. The dozen are starting from top left and down are a Red Man, 2 Geo. Wostenholms, Reliance (Ger.) , Genco safe edge, no name, second row top, W&B pressed horn ( I bought it for the scales as the blade is iffy) , Imperial, Kron-Punkt, Worcester, Geo. Butler Trinity works, and an Oxford.

The one Wostenholm has a bad blade,, well, the grind goes into the etching but I bought it, along with the second thinking I'd just swap scales and make one "original' type razor. And the Genco , it's a little thing with an interesting spine configuration. Had to have it.

Attachments

• $IMG_0525.JPG
    $IMG_0525.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 490
  • $IMG_0526.JPG
    $IMG_0526.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 493
  • $IMG_0534.JPG
    $IMG_0534.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 491
  • $IMG_0532.JPG
    $IMG_0532.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 491
  • $IMG_0536.JPG
    $IMG_0536.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 490
I got an English made Gillete New off the 'Bay, when it arrived I discovered it has a hollow ball end handle, are these kinda rare?

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got home to find a padded envelope on the table. That's when I felt that 20lb lead ball in my stomach.
The "No.26 Set" is a Bakelite stand holding a 4 piece English Tech. Somehow the set made it without a chip or crack.

attachment.php

The razor shows little sign of aging.

attachment.php

I may be in violation of paragraph "b".....:)

attachment.php

Very well done Mark. Congrats!

Picked up some wood ( Pink Ivory, Coco Bolo, Bocotte, Macassar Ebony, among others) that should make some interesting scales for my projects. I also picked up an Opti Visor as I'm tired of using clip on magnifiers, swing arm magnifiers etc. as I'm working on blades. I also was on a business trip today and of course my car knew just where to stop. The dozen are starting from top left and down are a Red Man, 2 Geo. Wostenholms, Reliance (Ger.) , Genco safe edge, no name, second row top, W&B pressed horn ( I bought it for the scales as the blade is iffy) , Imperial, Kron-Punkt, Worcester, Geo. Butler Trinity works, and an Oxford.

The one Wostenholm has a bad blade,, well, the grind goes into the etching but I bought it, along with the second thinking I'd just swap scales and make one "original' type razor. And the Genco , it's a little thing with an interesting spine configuration. Had to have it.

Hey David,
Well done? I think you should stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done. Or at least my brain is fried. It wasn't so much a planned purchase as opposed to a knee jerk ( or just plain jerk) reaction to seeing razors for sale.
Hey,, at about the cost of a Gold Dollar,, I couldn't pass any of them up. Check the resto thread as I just worked the Ivory one over tonight and got it done. With what I have in line for resto,, I could do one a week for the nearly the next year. Yeah,, it's a knee jerk reaction to seeing razors. I think I'm 3 dozen up on you now!

IIRC, the Genco with that spine would have had a guard of some sort, intending to make it a bit safer than the standard straight razor. Genco SafeEdge I believe. View attachment 219838

OK,, well now I have something else to look for to make this razor complete. What a wild contraption they used for this piece. I just love the methods companies came up with to solve the problems of shaving.

Yes the are very pretty. I have an original in the jade. They are circa 1935 and yours seems correct to me. Here is mine. If you're ever interested is selling it I'd like another for my collection.

Thanks, nice to see another set. I still think the blade case in mine is probably an interloper, even if it is the right style. How would the blade case lose its finish while the razor is still pristine?

But I think your set is ca. 1921, not 1935. The razor head is a New Improved, not a NEW Deluxe. Mine is likely to be 1931, not 1935, because it is a NEW Deluxe with serial number. The 1935 NEW Deluxe heads were not numbered, and have only been dated based on ads and blade codes. You can see these differences in Achim's photos:

• 1921 New Improved

Here is my L3 Slim that arrived today. I have not cleaned it yet but it looks to be in great shape. I really like the blade holder too.

$slim 001.jpg

$slim 002.jpg

$slim 003.jpg

$slim 004.jpg

I just posted an Optivisor I just bought. Turns out I left the store and went to a Rock and Gem shop where a guy was using one of these. The Optivisor is single powered. This has two levels of magnification as well as a flip down high powered magnifier for a third level as well as lighting that swivels up , down and side to side. Makes viewing edges etc. just great. The Opti was in the 40+ range,, and this one was only 12.95. So I got two , one for me and one for my wife at just over half the price of the OV which I returned.

And the Shumate Ben-Hur was picked up for me by a friend. I don't even have to look for razors myself. Others are doing it for me. I reimbursed him the $6.50 he paid for it. I also like the fact of the advertising on the box is the next town from where I live along with the green marbled scales with a bit of sparkle in them. Cool!

Attachments

• $IMG_0571.jpg
    $IMG_0571.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 442
  • $IMG_0572.jpg
    $IMG_0572.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 443
  • $IMG_0569.jpg
    $IMG_0569.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 444
  • $IMG_0570.jpg
    $IMG_0570.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 443
proxy.php

Promised photo.

ER 465 travel brush in brass canister. The knot has to go. Sixteen mm TGN 2 band finest to be inserted.

I've been looking for one of these for years.

Attachments

• $abc1234567.jpg
    $abc1234567.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 438
  • $abc123456.jpg
    $abc123456.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 439
  • $abc12345.jpg
    $abc12345.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 435
  • $abc1234.jpg
    $abc1234.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 437
  • $abc123.jpg
    $abc123.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 436
Hey David,
Well done? I think you should stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done. Or at least my brain is fried. It wasn't so much a planned purchase as opposed to a knee jerk ( or just plain jerk) reaction to seeing razors for sale.
Hey,, at about the cost of a Gold Dollar,, I couldn't pass any of them up. Check the resto thread as I just worked the Ivory one over tonight and got it done. With what I have in line for resto,, I could do one a week for the nearly the next year. Yeah,, it's a knee jerk reaction to seeing razors. I think I'm 3 dozen up on you now!

I love it, lol. It's so tough to pass on good deals. Better you than some guy who thinks they'd make a cool letter opener at the office.

A trip to the thrift store yesterday revealed that someone had recently cleaned out a shave den. No razors, of course, but lots of Avon bottles of fragrance. I picked a nearly full bottle of fragrance that I liked and brought it home, turned out to be 70's bottle of Tai Winds in the Stirling Six II, a keeper. I used it yesterday for the first time also with my new-to-me R41 from BST for the first time, a nice combination.

$IMAG0081.jpg
$IMAG0082.jpg

A trip to the thrift store yesterday revealed that someone had recently cleaned out a shave den. No razors, of course, but lots of Avon bottles of fragrance. I picked a nearly full bottle of fragrance that I liked and brought it home, turned out to be 70's bottle of Tai Winds in the Stirling Six II, a keeper. I used it yesterday for the first time also with my new-to-me R41 from BST for the first time, a nice combination.

View attachment 220421
View attachment 220422
love it, my mom used to sell those. thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom