What's new

Acquisitions for December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Randomhero: $5!

I didn't dicker...

Of course it means the other Haligonians on the board will be at the Sunday Market next week!

Of course it means the other Haligonians on the board will be at the Sunday Market next week!

:biggrin1:

. . .

:shifty:

I've come across some pretty decent local scores as well. Mostly, I enjoying hearing about others finding razors locally, or wherever. Vicarious collecting.

Hi @Rebos

The Forum Sunday Market has a soap maker who comes out ("The Uptown Tub" - I have no financial interest - I just like her soap) . Her "Clean Shave" glycerin soap is amazing for a great lather, mild smell and for being easy on (my) skin.

I think there's plenty "in the wild" to be had in Halifax - enough for all of us locals 10 times over - it just leaks out of estates and the back of medicine cabinets slowwwly.

It might be fun to do a meet and swap with the half-dozen of us some time. Take over a table at a Tims for an hour.

Derek

Looking around the antique shops in Martinez (calif) Saturday ,as I have done 100 times before,I finally got lucky.Spotted a nice looking bottle of 4711 Cuir de Russie ,75% full,and in a gorgeous old Lufthansa bottle,a pack of single edge blades,and a wooden bowl of Yardleys !.More amazing was it had about 98% of the soap still in it,even the imprint was still visible.I put a thin layer of pure lavender oil across the top to rehydrate it,as the scent was almost non existant,and let it sit until this mornings shave.Sooooo good,really a dream of a cream,rich ,thick ,dense and creamy,so rich you could achieve a perfect lather with almost any type of brush ever made.The next best thing to the heavenly lather was the price , 18 bucks !!,,,rarely do I ever get that lucky !

Attachments

• $rooney horn 118.jpg
    $rooney horn 118.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 347
  • $rooney horn 123.jpg
    $rooney horn 123.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 346
  • $rooney horn 125.jpg
    $rooney horn 125.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 347
Good finds! How do you like those scents?

The 4711 is very light,with a dry topnote,the leather is nice, but no tar or smoke, it is on the verge of being a unisex splash,or maybe it is !...The Yardleys "infused" with Bulgarian lavender essential oil is marvelous,English lavender may have been more appropiate,but I'm happy...

Wow, Awesome finds! I should be so lucky someday, the Lufthansa label on the back of the 4711 hearkens back to the days of TWA Lockheed Constellations flying from New York to Europe, or early Boeing 707's.

Picked up a bottle of "Old Spice", the old bottle, the glass one, and seems full, for $0.79, and as it was
"Seniors Day", I got 20 % off of that.
Just those old bottles are hard to find now.

Nice job on that razor haul!
I have used almost all of those razors at one time or another
The mildest models in my opinion:
All 3 of the non-adjustable twist to open razors (the 40's superspeed is probably the MILDEST of that group)
All of the ball-end Tech razors - the shiniest silver ball end on the last picture is one of my all time favorites

Got this Super Speed Flare Tip (Z3) today for free from a guy that is a junk collector. He received it from an elderly lady who told him it was her husband's but he had passed away. He said he was reluctant to take it from her because he figured no one uses them anymore. There are plenty of blades left in that dispenser. Looks like there might be a little plate loss on the very top of the doors, but otherwise, it looks to be lightly used. Mechanically, it works perfectly. I'll clean it up and repost another picture.

Actually, there is no plate loss at all. There was some gunk on the doors which was easily removed.

$1954 Flare Tip.jpg $20121212_084654.jpgCleaned up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom