What's new

Acquisitions for December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did well. Judging from the pictures I think they will clean up nicely, too. I think the Fat Boy is the winner of the bunch, in terms of value.

You will find some helpful threads on cleaning in the DE forum. I think these will require some serious elbow grease, but it'll be worth it.

As a rule if it's under $5 I buy it (except injectors for some reason). I can always give it to someone I'm trying to convert or PIF later if I don't need it. Definitely a nice start to a collection here, congrats.

The next step (after cleaning) is to pick _one_ razor to learn on! I suggest one of the adjustables -- set it to its lowest setting. I started with a Gillette Tech, and would have been happier with something less aggressive.

You can buy "sample packs" of blades from several vendors --

www.whippeddog.com

www.westcoastshaving.com

www.razorbladesandmore.com

Figure out what blade works in that _one_ razor. Remember that a DE razor is _not_ a cartridge -- you should use _no pressure_ on the blade when you shave.

You're going to have lots of fun . . . this stuff really works!

. Charles

Which one would be the mildest? I figured the tech's, but any particular one? That british handle one is much lighter than all the others. I've shaved with a DE on my neck a few times. I have a beard right now. I seem to get slight irritation even with what I think is no pressure. I've watched the vids, etc. Maybe I should try just 2 passes right now. It's weird cause one time I won't get irritation and the next time I do. Same blades and everything. I guess it takes time.

I almost always just do a two pass shave. Nothing wrong with it if it works for you and it should definitely help minimize the irritation.

As for aggressiveness this Link to the wiki is a great resource. The mildest one I see there would be one of the adjustables on 1.

Which one would be the mildest? I figured the tech's, but any particular one? That british handle one is much lighter than all the others. I've shaved with a DE on my neck a few times. I have a beard right now. I seem to get slight irritation even with what I think is no pressure. I've watched the vids, etc. Maybe I should try just 2 passes right now. It's weird cause one time I won't get irritation and the next time I do. Same blades and everything. I guess it takes time.

The irritation on some shaves and not the others is simply a learning curve. You will eventually figure out blade angle and your growth pattern and the problem should solve itself. Even the best shavers sometimes get a bit zealous and find themselves with a bit of razor burn when the aftershave hits their skin. If I had to personally choose one of the razors to start with, and they all cleaned up nicely with no major issues, I would choose the black handled flair tip SS. It has a good heft without being too aggressive and is a razor that you can use long after you've moved on to the adjustable razors. It seems that many people try to give the Tech a whirl as new shavers but find the light weight to be ineffective, then turn to pressure to get the job done. In the end they sacrifice technique and end up with weepers and razor burn.

The irritation on some shaves and not the others is simply a learning curve. You will eventually figure out blade angle and your growth pattern and the problem should solve itself. Even the best shavers sometimes get a bit zealous and find themselves with a bit of razor burn when the aftershave hits their skin. If I had to personally choose one of the razors to start with, and they all cleaned up nicely with no major issues, I would choose the black handled flair tip SS. It has a good heft without being too aggressive and is a razor that you can use long after you've moved on to the adjustable razors. It seems that many people try to give the Tech a whirl as new shavers but find the light weight to be ineffective, then turn to pressure to get the job done. In the end they sacrifice technique and end up with weepers and razor burn.

+1 on everything here. This is good advice. I used a black-handle superspeed as my sole razor for the first year of DE shaving. The fewer variables you have thrown into the mix the more you can focus on bettering technique alone.

The Fatboy if in good condition is worth the $50.00, the slim add 20-30. Very nice haul for sure. The FB was my first razor. Just set it low and let it find it's sweet spot.

Woohoo!

In pretty nice shape, too!

I need to figure out a cleaning strategy - I don't want to attack the gold plating. Maybe very light polishing with Peek and a microfiber cloth.

It's had a light cleaning with dish washing soap and a toothbrush, will follow up with a hotter water & soap soak, then GENTLE polishing.

Kind of weird, using all caps for "gentle". :huh:

This bumps my fat handle Tech for today's shave. Will report back.

Derek

$HPIM4015.jpg$HPIM4014.jpg$HPIM4013.jpg$HPIM4012.jpg

Congrats! A Sheraton. Definitely be extra gentle with that polish. From personal experience the two I found that gold will rub off so easily.

Hey, Rxonmymind - Yeah, I might just put up with the color variations rather than risk plating loss. As it is, it's in pretty nice user condition, so why risk it?

This fills a spot in my TTO series, which now stands at GEM Micromatic open & closed comb, Sheraton. 1940 Milord Tech, Pre war Aristocrat, NDC Superspeed, 50's Superspeeds, Black Tip SS, Red, Blue & Flare tips, Flare tip Rocket, too many Fatboys, some slims, black handle SS and Super Adjustable, and a Blue Lady Gillette.

Just shaved with it, with a new Perma-Sharp and a glycerine-based soap produced by a local vendor. Very, very comfortable shave. Really made the blade work well on my neck. Certainly a top 10% shave!

I have found two of those. I cleaned them with hot water/dish soap baths only. The plating is obviously thin and I didn't want to take any more of with overly aggressive cleaning/polishing. They are a great razor for my face. It is touch and go between the Sheraton and the OC Aristocrat for my top spot. At times, I prefer the Sheraton because it seems a little more forgiving of pressure variations. Enjoy that razor, it is definitely a great tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom