Acquisitions for August 2011

Discussion in 'The Score' started by fidjit, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobody found anything yet ??

Went into a little shop I know of that opens a couple of days a week for a couple of hours. Just happened to be driving past and noted it was open.

Found this cool travel kit :lol:

[​IMG]

Inside a #58 and a very worn wooden brush

[​IMG]

Cleaned up nicely :smile:

[​IMG]

( The actual travel bag and brush have been disposed of :lol: )

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. That's a superspeed, isn't it?(sorry, I'm a noob)

BTW: good call to dispose of the brush, it looks horrendous. I really wonder why some people think anyone would buy such worn out pieces of :censored:. But than again, if you see people who offer this crap, you know you can get a good deal, because they don't know the first thing about shaving.:w00t:

3. It's a British Gillette #58. A variation on the Rocket HD with fancier knurling on it. Came in a distinctive red case:

[​IMG]

Don't worry about being a newb, we all started there at one time, you'll quickly become obsessed and be able to tell a razor from the notch on the bar, the shape of the endcaps,........:lol:

Being from Belgium , you're probably more likely to find British Rockets etc than you are to find US made Superspeeds. Brit razors are very nice especially the rhodium coated Aristocrat ( #15,#16, #22,#66 etc ) series.

Yeah, I'm all into restoring old brushes, but not something like that.........:smile:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. My coticule and slurry stone arrived this morning.

[​IMG]

5. How does one restore brushes? Put in a new knot and clean up the handle or is there more to it?

6. Also, if you're this good at identifying razors, would you please have a look at this post for me? http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/243837-Need-some-help-identifying-this-one!

7. Nice!

8. Picked this up through a friend of a friend. He wouldn't take more than he'd paid for it. $2.

Pretty sure it's a Canadian fat handle Gillette Tech, from 1938-45. I could very easily be wrong on some of those points. I got a kick out of the two old blades it came with.

I'd cleaned up the razor a bit before I took the picture...I know, I've got to remember to take pictures before.

Attached Files:

9. OK This is Probably My best score on EBay yet, I got these two Nice Gem Razor's And a Nice C-1 Flair Tip Super Speed Made in 1957.

Got these for $8.17 and $5.00 S&H Total of $13.17 Not bad as there in Excellent Condition all 3 of them :w00t:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  10. At last I found one with genuine leather pouch. I am happy with this one.

Attached Files:

11. Congrats.

12. Price

Price Steward Contributor

Yes. That, I do believe, qualifies as a score. Nice.

13. REALLY cool handle on that one Bestarrkin. Looks in great shape as well.

14. mdevine

mdevine Moderator Contributor

Excellent scores. I find that the safety razor lots are often the best buys.

15. Legion

Legion Moderator Emeritus

That's basically it! Take the old knot out, sand and polish the handle, put in a new knot. Have a look at the restoration section in the shaving brush threads. Old handles look MUCH better than new ones IMO.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/54-Brush-Making-and-Restorations

16. I just picked up a Geo. Savage and sons double xx razor. It has pressed horn scales, and reads, xx Geo Savage & Sons Norwich Place Sheffield xx on one side, and Sole Manufactures of the Double x Razors on the other. It has double thumb notches as well. Ebay?? Not a chance!!! Nope, I met a guy we sat and chatted in front of Panera Bread for 2 hours I looked through his collection. The Savage said, Take me home! I will post pics soon. :)

17. Very nice. I like the Super Speed and the G-Bar, especially, as shavers.

18. I think I may have been bidding against you on this one, was it on eBay UK?

19. Yes, that was me. Frankly, I put a low bid snipe on it which is not usual for me. I hope you find one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.