What's new

Acqua di Parma shaving cream reformulated? Scentless?

As for the scent, it is definitely a "fresh and clean" as they describe it… kinda similar in my mind to what I remember of the AoS Ocean Kelp scent… maybe an ozonic/oceanic effect… and for some reason, the word "Sport" pops into my mind when I smell it.

You may have just made a number of people's days worse than the thought it was merely unscented.

BTW, are you able to post ingredients? Thanks.

You may have just made a number of people's days worse than the thought it was merely unscented.

BTW, are you able to post ingredients? Thanks.

Sucks being the reporter sometimes.:blink:

For you, sir:

$photo-3.jpg

Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the photos in here yet.

Last edited:
There it is, thanks 5savages!

I didn't use my AdP to shave this morning. I used my scented XPEC SC and ASB. If the AdP works 85% as good as XPEC, then the AdP still in its own league. XPEC is unparalleled in my opinion… and I have yet to find a review of someone who was negative or even lukewarm about the stuff. It is the pinnacle as far as I can tell, in my own experience and by reading others. All bow to XPEC.

It is the pinnacle as far as I can tell, in my own experience and by reading others. All bow to XPEC.

That's ALMOST enough to make me try it. I won't now, though, since it is most likely out of production, and I see no need to start lusting after something I won't be able to use regularly. Besides, I really can't get past the price. I don't doubt it's a very good, or even excellent, cream, but I do question if it is so much better than my already-excellent go-to's as to warrant such a premium. I don't mind paying for performance, but I have found the point of diminishing returns to be around the T&H/AOS/CF price point.

Thanks for posting the AdP ingredients. Strange...what's the point of reformulating to merely "less scented"? It seems they're narrowing their potential market even more. They're already alienating those whose only justification for buying it was the Colonia scent. At least by removing synthetic fragrance (maybe scenting with essential oils or some such), they might be able to lure the people who avoid fragrance altogether. But to go with what sounds like a generic, oceanic scent, they're excluding the no-scent people, as well. Of course, I'm talking out of my butt here a bit, since I haven't actually tried it, but in theory I find this to be a rather perplexing move.

That's ALMOST enough to make me try it. I won't now, though, since it is most likely out of production, and I see no need to start lusting after something I won't be able to use regularly. Besides, I really can't get past the price. I don't doubt it's a very good, or even excellent, cream, but I do question if it is so much better than my already-excellent go-to's as to warrant such a premium. I don't mind paying for performance, but I have found the point of diminishing returns to be around the T&H/AOS/CF price point.

Thanks for posting the AdP ingredients. Strange...what's the point of reformulating to merely "less scented"? It seems they're narrowing their potential market even more. They're already alienating those whose only justification for buying it was the Colonia scent. At least by removing synthetic fragrance (maybe scenting with essential oils or some such), they might be able to lure the people who avoid fragrance altogether. But to go with what sounds like a generic, oceanic scent, they're excluding the no-scent people, as well. Of course, I'm talking out of my butt here a bit, since I haven't actually tried it, but in theory I find this to be a rather perplexing move.

I promise there are exponential returns on the XPEC marginal price... not diminishing returns.

I just came across this thread and am thoroughly bummed. I "rediscovered" a jar of almost new Aqua di Parma shave cream (old scented version) and fell in love with it. I'd tried it before but never really got the hang of it as far as getting a good lather. I found it slightly thin and drying. I'd always scooped out a bit into my bowl and lathered it that way. I decided, what the heck, and just used it like a soap and started the lathering in the jar and face lathered. It was a revelation - nice cushioning, thick lather and I loved the scent.

I was thinking of ordering a new jar when I came across the reformulation news. This keeps happening - fine old products being reformulated. In my shave den I've lost: Penhaligons soap, Art of Shaving soap and now ADP. Bah humbug.

That's disappointing to hear..this was one of the creams I wanted to try in the coming future..but like many said the price was only justified for the great fragrance. If it does smell like AoS ocean kelp like someone said it reminded them off..I may as well get that for a third of the price as AoS creams perform very well.

The reformulated scent is indeed more of a "blue" scent or "ocean kelp" as was mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't like the new scent at all; I very much prefer the old formulation with the "orange" Colonia scent.

I am not buying any more of the Collezione Barbiere shaving creams after I finish this tub unless they revert to the old scent/formulation.

I just received my ADP shaving cream recently and the scent is indeed different from that intoxicating scent I had smell before. It's very faint if there is suppose to be any scent at all. The performance however is top notch. Only a bit of cream is enough to whip up a bowl of lather. It has a slight cooling feel on my face while I shaved and does not dry out my face. No irritations registered afterwards, leaving my skin soft and moisturized.

But that intoxicating scent....I kind off missed that....

For the price point, I might be better off going for AOS unscented which does a good job and great for those with sensitive skin.

If I do buy the ADP again, it better be the original scented formulation.

I bought one of the new formulation AdP shaving cream tubs on a recent trip to Italy (48 Euros at the AdP Boutique). I was completely floored by its excellent performance and from reading about the cult status of the Colonia scented previous version, set out to find some.

I was able to hook three of the old formulation AdP shaving cream tubs from eBay. There is a seller who has a cache of new but no box scratch and dent old formulation tubs. I contacted her and was able to negotiate a slightly better price ($60USD/tub) than the listing ($70USD/tub). She has a few more, so this may be the last chance for Colonia scented AdP cream romance.

Concurrently I received a tub of the latest formulation of Razorock XXX-T from the Italian Barber.

So, having all three sitting on the counter, this gave me the opportunity to do some comparing. Scentwise, neither the new AdP or XXX-T come close to the intoxication that the old AdP provides, but given the choice between only the new AdP or XXX-T, the XXX-T wins in the scent department. Having said that, despite all of the concerns regarding the new AdP being unscented, I find that it still has a pleasant albeit much more muted clean scent. When it comes to lather, I actually give the new AdP the highest marks, with the old AdP a close second and then the XXX-T. In other words, they are all excellent latherers, but the newest AdP is just a smidge better, which it should be considering its price.

For me, as good as the XXX-T is at it's price point (and it is excellent for $10), I can still convince myself to reach out for the new AdP. Fortunately, with a few tubs of old AdP in my war chest now, I should be OK for the short term :)

I figured I'd add some photos and commentary to last post.

XXX-T, old AdP, new AdP

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413041488.659231.jpg

Some pics of the contents. The old AdP is a harder soap than the new AdP and the XXX-T. This may be from aging, but regardless, even with 10098 Omega Boar, it's a bit more work with the old AdP compared to the new. With the new AdP you can almost plunge load the brush in like british cream rather than swirling like a hard soap. The XXX-T is right in between for texture. What I do find interesting is that the color depth corresponds exactly to the scent levels as mentioned earlier.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413041714.142125.jpg

There it is, thanks 5savages!

I didn't use my AdP to shave this morning. I used my scented XPEC SC and ASB. If the AdP works 85% as good as XPEC, then the AdP still in its own league. XPEC is unparalleled in my opinion… and I have yet to find a review of someone who was negative or even lukewarm about the stuff. It is the pinnacle as far as I can tell, in my own experience and by reading others. All bow to XPEC.

I agree wholeheartedly mattcim10, XPEC was the best cream I ever used,hands down. Castle Forbes Lime or lavender is very good but not really close to XPEC. However,I used the Unscented version more than the scented. The main thing was the cream's superb performance. A positively great Italian creation. E meraviglioso, as the Italians say.

Craig

I think that if the new AdP was judged based on what it is instead of what it is not then it would receive a much more favourable review on the forum. It is not AdP Colonia. The formulation and scent are different so it will fall short of the expectations of anyone expecting it to be the AdP of old or a "better" XXX-T. It is a cream that performs exceptionally well, with a rich lubricating lather and pleasant scent. For me it has the perfect fragrance strength and amount of menthol. By that I mean the fragrance is pleasant while I shave but not overpowering or long lasting after shaving. (I work close to people in a fragrance free environment.) The menthol is subdued and doesn't become noticeable until rinsing off the cream when it leaves a pleasant mild cooling after effect that lingers only a short time. It also leaves my face and head feeling very soft and moisturized. I do not feel the need to apply any lotion or balm after shaving with it. I think it is a great cream.

Top Bottom