What's new

Acqua di Parma shaving cream reformulated? Scentless?

Blasphamy!

I have ADP in my den. The expense is a sticking point for some, but I think the performance and scent are unmatched. I have no interest in an unscented version.

Wonder if the old scented versions are still on a few store shelves?

Ron

Read that article - but I really disagree with its premise. At its price point AdP needs to give people a reason to buy it. Sure, it's a great performing soap. But you can buy lots of soaps that perform just as well for a fraction of the price, a small fraction in some cases. As an unscented product there is simply nothing to distinguish it from other products. If you read the comments on this forum the preponderance of them talk about the scent of the AdP shave cream. It's incredible, and there's nothing like it. OK, there might be a few similar to it, but what made AdP unique and made it a niche product worth buying at its price point, if you've got that kind of money to burn, was its scent.

I suspect this will turn out to be a huge mistake for them. Time will tell I guess.

Read that article - but I really disagree with its premise. At its price point AdP needs to give people a reason to buy it. Sure, it's a great performing soap. But you can buy lots of soaps that perform just as well for a fraction of the price, a small fraction in some cases. As an unscented product there is simply nothing to distinguish it from other products. If you read the comments on this forum the preponderance of them talk about the scent of the AdP shave cream. It's incredible, and there's nothing like it. OK, there might be a few similar to it, but what made AdP unique and made it a niche product worth buying at its price point, if you've got that kind of money to burn, was its scent.

I suspect this will turn out to be a huge mistake for them. Time will tell I guess.

+1 for what he says here

Craig

I mean, really, would you take shaving advice from this guy?

All joking aside, if you look over his CV, you can see he is a grooming industry insider, and therefore has a reason not to be critical of the industry that supports him. It's little wonder, then, that he says the line is "wisely reformulated," which pretty much flies in the face of what most of us see as common sense - namely, it's not wise to remove the one element that justified AdP's ridiculous pricing structure.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a strategy which is going to pay off, but I can totally see how the marketing execs convinced each other that a scentless cream was the PERFECT thing to support the many varied ADP fragrances.

Never forget, groupthink in Coca-Cola marketing convinced a lot of people that New Coke was good idea in 1985.

This has to be a ploy to buy up all the old stock and create a demand or something. They will loose their *** on this because like many others have said, ADP is about the scent. The performance is very good but there are many others that are better.

As I side note I think Stroppe Shoppe tallow versions of Black Tie and especially Baker Street will give you a better lather and the scent is high end, in the realm of XXX, masculine but sweet, An overall better soap but I still need that ADP scent fix from time to time.

I fail to see why a fragrance company would reformulate a product to completely remove the scent. I read the article but the reason(s) given still does not provide enough sanity or rationale. In my opinion, AdP chose the worst option to satisfy their customers. Any of the following would have been better:

- Release an unscented cream to co-exist with the current Colonia scent
- Release a cream with the matching scent for each of fragrance lines........and then also release an unscented version

Either, they were too lazy or did not have the budget so they took the easy way out and went all in with an unscented cream.

I fail to see why a fragrance company would reformulate a product to completely remove the scent. I read the article but the reason(s) given still does not provide enough sanity or rationale. In my opinion, AdP chose the worst option to satisfy their customers. Any of the following would have been better:

- Release an unscented cream to co-exist with the current Colonia scent
- Release a cream with the matching scent for each of fragrance lines........and then also release an unscented version

Either, they were too lazy or did not have the budget so they took the easy way out and went all in with an unscented cream.

Those are both better alternatives.

They will loose their *** on this...

They are going to set their behinds free or are you calling them tight asses?

Last edited:
Just randomly out shopping today and had the chance to try it. The reformulated version has a black coloured lid. It stinks. There is just no smell to it and could easily be mistaken for shoe polish. The consistency and look of the cream has also changed. Another one bites the dust.

Hello Gentlemen,

I had an interesting encounter today. Recently I ran out of AdP cream, had the afternoon off, and made it over to Holt Renfrew here in Toronto to pick up some more. I quickly asked for assistance, the sales person handed me a nicely packaged box, and seconds after the transaction had completed, told me "Just so you're aware, this is the reformulated version...unscented". Unscented I said, really??? So she brought me an open container to let me inspect further.

Absolutely no smell with a different look and consistency altogether. Instantly I asked for a refund, and she said I was probably the 4th or 5th person in the recent pass to have done the same (hopefully the others figured it out before I did). Who would have thought they would have changed a proven winner.

Not worth it anymore in my humble opinion. Hopefully AdP brings back the original if this small sample size of 4 or 5 reflects the global sales experience.

...the sales person handed me a nicely packaged box, and seconds after the transaction had completed, told me "Just so you're aware, this is the reformulated version...unscented".

I don't suppose it occurred to her to tell people that before completing the transaction, to save her the trouble of having to issue refunds. I suppose, though, you should be glad she told you at all.

I don't suppose it occurred to her to tell people that before completing the transaction, to save her the trouble of having to issue refunds. I suppose, though, you should be glad she told you at all.

You're right, it would have been good to have mentioned it before as I had just finished going on about how much I love the smell. Made me a little suspicious of her.

In the end, I was grateful as she saved me $90 CAD (the Canadian price after tax)...seems insane typing out that number. For that price I'd expect half a bottle of Colonia mixed into the shaving cream.

I got the new version (I ordered it before reading this thread, and freaked out yesterday before it arrived in the mail today)…. Yep, the new version arrived.

However, to quell some fears, I did do a test lather, and I have to say it does seem that it is going to be one of my top performers.

As for the scent, it is definitely a "fresh and clean" as they describe it… kinda similar in my mind to what I remember of the AoS Ocean Kelp scent… maybe an ozonic/oceanic effect… and for some reason, the word "Sport" pops into my mind when I smell it. I have no idea why. Anyway, it is by no means as intoxicatingly wonderful as the scented Colonia version, but it has an agreeable scent to me (YMMV) and I do believe I'm about to receive some top class shaves from the lather produced (by a very little amount of product, I will add).
To be continued some day.

Just read some of the more recent posts...
Guys, I promise you this is NOT an unscented cream… It even lists Fragrance (Pafum) as the 9th or 10th ingredient.
I suppose it's a little bit muted while in the jar, and maybe when you were in the store there were a dozen other scents around… but there is absolutely a scent to this cream… see my attempt at description above.

Top Bottom