What's new

Acqua di Parma shaving cream help

Need some info and suggestions on Acqua di Parma shaving cream, there is one that comes in a jar and another one in a tube which is described as soft shaving cream, I have tried the one in the tube a while back but for some reason got rid off it just after a couple uses with the intent of getting the one that comes in a tub later on.

Well I never got a chance to get the one that comes in a tub, after getting sidetracked with the other high end creams and got SMN, ABC, XPEC CASTLE FORBES and other high end soaps like Nuavia, MdC, C&S etc.

I remember the Acqua di Parma shaving cream in a tube performance was great but I was still new to wet shaving at that time, for those that have tried both the version that comes in a tub and the one that comes in the tube how do they compare?

I know recently the formula has changed and I have read different opinions as far as scent goes some say it's scent less while others describe that it still has some scent but more subdued.

My main concern besides the scent is of course the performance and also my curiosity compared to the other creams have. I was planning on getting the tube version but want to make sure I'm not missing out if the one that comes in a tub performs better so any opinions for those that have tried both versions I would really appreciate it.

Finally for those that have also tried SMN, ABC, XPEC shaving creams how does AdP compare in terms of performance? Am I missing something if I don't get AdP?

Hope to hear some feedback and opinions and thank you for all the help this forum has always provided.

I can't comment on the tube but the jar I have is amazing. Fantastic smell amd rich thick lather. Quality stuff no doubt. I have the older, I guess stronger scented one.

Attachments

• downloadfile-18.jpg
    downloadfile-18.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 109
  • downloadfile-8.jpg
    downloadfile-8.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 102
I have ADP in a tub (a new one) - fantastic cream -must have . I had ADP( old one tub ,tube),SMN ,CF , XPEC, Nancy boy,ABC ,Saint James of London,Baume.be, TOBS ,and I must say that ADP and SMN are the best creams EVER!
For the best experience you should use ADPcream and ADP aftershave balm.

Thanks everyone for all the responses and feedback, will definitely be getting it now to add to my rotation. I'm still leaning towards getting the one in the tube. I don't really need anymore creams or soaps but if I don't get it I know I will always be wondering what I'm missing.

This should be my last order of any creams or soaps for a while hopefully.

Can anyone recommend the best place to order either the tub or tube version online? I'm located in the US but wouldn't mind ordering overseas if it cost much less.

I purchased both (very fresh) from Nordstrom.

The current jar formulation is significantly different from that of the current tube.
The lather of the jar version is a bit denser; but the tubed cream lathers a bit more readily, and is even more subdued in scent. Both are excellent.
That said, some more moderately priced creams are just as good, IMO.
(Btw, if you want the bee’s knees in an a/s splash, check out AdP’s Tonico Dopobarba alla Colonia.)

Thanks everyone for all the responses and feedback, will definitely be getting it now to add to my rotation. I'm still leaning towards getting the one in the tube. I don't really need anymore creams or soaps but if I don't get it I know I will always be wondering what I'm missing.

This should be my last order of any creams or soaps for a while hopefully.

I've used 4 jars of ADP so far and it is the BEST product in its category….a soft croap.
Don't whisk your brush directly on it or it will be gone in no time, i use a small ice cream spoon to scoop out a dollop the size of a thumbnail and smear it on a wet brush, before lathering. I have a small amount left and use it only on special occasions…like summer solstice and winter equinox.

There's only one downside to using the ADP…it spoils you for anything else…no kidding. I doubt you will stop at one tub.

Used to get mine from aus liebe zum duft (first in fragrance)…and Ive also seen it on the gifts and care website.

The jar version is better than the tube.

That said, if you already own SMN, ABC, CF, etc, I don't think you NEED to add ADP. It may be as good, but not better than those creams.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback, I opted for the tub version, yes I certainly don't need anymore shaving creams or soaps but it's the variety and SAD and all that comes with the hobby and I've been wanting to try AdP for a while now, I have sold and PIF quite a few shaving creams and soaps that don't perform well for my sensitive skin to justify getting Adp.

I'm not expecting it to perform better than SMN or ABC but if it does it will be a bonus, my current favorite as far as performance goes is I Coloniali mango which is unfortunately been discontinued.

I have both versions. The tub is the best performing. But the tube is good for travelling, as it lathers up well in all types of water.
I lather in the tub, by adding 7-8 drops of water and swirl a few times to get the brush loaded. Then I facelather until the cream is slick and ready.
I also have the SMN and ABC. I find the AdP and SMN on par and the best products I have tried (and I have tried many). But the creams are not alike. I find the AdP is a "light" cream and the SMN is a "heavy" cream, but they both give me stellar results. The ABC for me is not in the same league.

That's good to know, I just shaved with SMN and I forget sometimes how good they are, very slick and just overall smooth and stellar shave.
I'm excited to try the AdP, I'm glad I opted to get the tub instead of the tube, I appreciate all the advice and recommendations from everyone.

Acquadiparma.jpg

Well I finally tried AdP in a tub, as expected it performed excellent, very slick and great protection. I thought the tub will be larger, but the biggest surprise for me was the scent.
I expected the scent to be really subdued based from the reviews I have read, while not as strong like Castle Forbes, the scent was definitely there and definitely not a scent less version like how some had described the new formula to be.
It has a nice "relaxing" scent that I really like while I have not tried the old formula in a tub I cannot provide feedback on how much the strength of the new formulas scent compares to the old one.

Last edited:
Do you gents load yours in the tub? I feel uneasy loading this one directly.. it's too pricey.

Ran through one tub real fast while loading directly and learned my lesson…never again.

Now I use a small plastic spoon to scoop out a dollop the size of a thumbnail and smear it on a wet brush. Lathers
very well and provides enough for 3 passes.

Ran through one tub real fast while loading directly and learned my lesson…never again.

Now I use a small plastic spoon to scoop out a dollop the size of a thumbnail and smear it on a wet brush. Lathers
very well and provides enough for 3 passes.

Exactly what I was thinking. This was a gift from my wife and it's the most special shaving cream/soap in my den.

AdP in the tub is a nice, citrusy, cologney shave cream.
Many others are as nice, or better.
I have not yet tried the tube version.

View attachment 779593

That's the OLD formulation you have there - the new one does not have the Colonia scent. They took it out to cater for those with sensitive skin. The new formulation is a much more, natural? soft? subtle scent - but it would have been better to have both in their line so one had a choice. The performance of the new formula is just as fabulous - if not better than the old one though.

Exactly what I was thinking. This was a gift from my wife and it's the most special shaving cream/soap in my den.
I do the same thing with all my shaving creams and use a mini spoon to scoop out an almond size amount and transfer it to a lather bowl to make sure I don't ruin the cream.
If you like the performance of AdP I would suggest getting SMN, I find SMN to have slightly better residual slickness, I paid $20 more for the SMN but it also comes in 220 ml tub compared to AdP's 125 g .

They are both excellent shaving creams and IMHO the best as far as shaving cream goes, if there are better performing creams I would love to hear about it.

I will definitely get another tub when I run out but that will be a while with my current rotation unless they offer another scent.

The old version had the Colonia scent, and a somewhat bette than average performer. However, the newest version with just a faint scent, is a stellar performer. AdP says the tube and the tub are the same, although I've only used tubs of both versions.

Top Bottom