What's new

About this straight razor

I believe I have a razor that was used by my great grand father.
I think I have the original box > wording is Wade & Butcher Sheffield
It has black scales, the text on the blade reads "The Celebrated Extra Hollow Ground Razor"

I'm interested in cleaning it, but have no interest in shaving with it. I'm also interested in the a I did find a reference to an 1890 law in the US requiring the manufacturer to place country of origin on the blade.

My questions: 1) How do I safely clean the razor without reducing it's value? 2) Was it manufactured prior to 1890?
$razor.jpg

TIA
Pete Pfeiffer

Last edited by a moderator:
part of the rules here are to not do valuations. you can look at various other auction sites to get an idea of its value. they are very highly regarded, and sell quickly.

you have very good collars on those pins. I would recommend sending it out to a restorer to have it cleaned up without causing it more harm through your lack of knowledge.

Doc226 here does fantastic work. also MyCarver here.

the short version is it wouldn't take much to clean up your blade using a progression of sandpaper by hand (please, don't use any kind of power tool on it because you could ruin the temper of the steel by overheating it, and also damage some of the stamping), but to do it completely, it should be unpinned (cut the pivot pin and remove the blade from the scales, then repin it afterwards) to get it all clean.

that is pre-1890, and likely 1851-1890. there should be some W&B markings pages here to maybe fine tune that estimate based on the stampings.

that you have your great-grandfather's razor is cool. it's also a very good blade, in very good condition now. I'd hone and shave with it as is.

part of the rules here are to not do valuations. you can look at various other auction sites to get an idea of its value. they are very highly regarded, and sell quickly.

you have very good collars on those pins. I would recommend sending it out to a restorer to have it cleaned up without causing it more harm through your lack of knowledge.

Doc226 here does fantastic work. also MyCarver here.

the short version is it wouldn't take much to clean up your blade using a progression of sandpaper by hand (please, don't use any kind of power tool on it because you could ruin the temper of the steel by overheating it, and also damage some of the stamping), but to do it completely, it should be unpinned (cut the pivot pin and remove the blade from the scales, then repin it afterwards) to get it all clean.

that is pre-1890, and likely 1851-1890. there should be some W&B markings pages here to maybe fine tune that estimate based on the stampings.

that you have your great-grandfather's razor is cool. it's also a very good blade, in very good condition now. I'd hone and shave with it as is.

He has no interest in shaving with it.

Hello and welcome, PJ. Great to have you here on B&B. That's a nice heirloom. I agree with KW Driver. I would have one of the pros here give that a good refresh, keeping most of it's patina, but cleaning it up. Enjoy.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Welcome. Since you just want to clean it up you might get better answers if you post in restorations, or we'll be happy to move it for you if you'd like.

Thank you all for your quick answers. Follow up
Is there a quick reference area for me to review regarding the part names os a straight razor?
There's a new vocabulary in my future
TIA
Pete

Did you find it at a relatives house?
When my mother passed away I asked my father for it since I knew where it came from. I was about 3 years old when I met "Papa Peters" and still remember the meeting. That's pretty remarkable for me (71) with sometimes a poor memory.

I'm an active photographer who is planning to "Celebrate my Heritage" and I want to include this razor in a more presentable state.

Now about the parts and names of a razor? - So far this is what I've gathered
scales - decorative outside part of the handle
pins - a hinge on one end and a rivet on the other keeping the scales attached
collar ????
and I'll bet there's a few more

TIA
Pete

scales= the "handles" themselves, yours look to be and should if original, be horn.

collars= the decorative bits that look like stacked washers outside the pins.

pins= steel, or brass rods that are peened on both sides to secure the blade at one end, wedge at the other, between the scales.

wedge= piece of material (lead most likely in your case) that angle the scales open to spread them allowing the blade to fit between.

scales= the "handles" themselves, yours look to be and should if original, be horn.

collars= the decorative bits that look like stacked washers outside the pins.

pins= steel, or brass rods that are peened on both sides to secure the blade at one end, wedge at the other, between the scales.

wedge= piece of material (lead most likely in your case) that angle the scales open to spread them allowing the blade to fit between.
Thanks, There's a curved notch at the end of the blade in the image I attached ... does it also have a name?
I viewed the image on this site with part names of a straight razor, but it didn't have the notch.

a barber's notch.

there's no real consensus on its purpose other than possibly as a finger notch for the offhand to guide the blade while doing delicate work sometimes.

Legion

Staff member
If you are not going to use is just give the blade a good polish with a metal polish like Mothers or Autosol. Then give it a light coat of Renaissance Wax to protect it from rust, and think of a nice way to display it.

If you are not going to use is just give the blade a good polish with a metal polish like Mothers or Autosol. Then give it a light coat of Renaissance Wax to protect it from rust, and think of a nice way to display it.
Thank you David for the suggestions. I ordered MAAS metal polish, some neatsfoot oil, and Renaissance Wax. I'm sure this will return the razor and original case to a state for a nice presentation for my photographic project.

Pete

+1
Based on the picture it doesn't seem to be in a condition to warrant using sandpaper IMO, and doing so may do more damage than good, so start with the least aggressive method - especially since it's a one of a kind heirloom. Wash it good with gentle hand soap and a nail brush (or similar rather soft brush), polish it (take your time), and see how it looks.

Top Bottom