What's new

A great barbershop-type shave

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
A fews days ago I had the idea of a great barbershop-type shave, using the best wet shaving tools at my disposal. Of course I wanted to use only trusted products that are actually used in true barber salons. Hence, I opted for a reliable boar brush, a traditional shaving cream, a classic straight razor and a bold, masculine aftershave lotion. I also wanted to make things a bit “international” and decided to select some the finest tools in my den from different countries. The brush was the mighty 1800 from Semogue, a small Portuguese family-owned company that has been producing excellent and reasonably priced brushes since 1955. All beautiful looking and all lather-making machines. The 1800, in particular, has extremely soft tips with a lot of backbone and behaves equally well with both soaps and creams, either face and bowl lathering. This is certainly one my favourite boars, always first rate in performance. As about the shaving cream I was proud to use the Italian Proraso Green. This is unquestionably our most traditional, most popular and most loved shaving cream of them all, both among Master Barbers and experienced wet shavers. In my opinion the 2012 reformulation has represented a great improvement for the entire Proraso line and the “ever Green” now really shines: easy to use, slick, moisturizing, protective and, finally, without all those parabens that seemed to shadow its reliable name and illustrious history. In other words an all-round winner for me. Regarding the choice of the razor I was in doubt if using a shavette, which is what barbers use nowadays, or a real straight, as barbers used to do in the past. I ended up with opting for a true straight, as this is what I really love. Being a huge fan of German blades, my choice fell on my latest purchase: the Wacker 6/8 Old Sheffield. I got this razor last month, directly from Mr. H. Wacker, who provided a wonderful customer service suggesting exactly the straight I wanted: a Full Hollow Ground 6/8 Silver Steel blade, with Barber’s Notch Point and stunning Black Buffalo Horn scales. A genuine Masterpiece Made in Solingen, that after some work on the hones has developed a very sharp, smooth edge. The final touch to complete my barbershop-type shave was a good splash of Pinaud Clubman Original. This superb, superb centuries old American product has quickly become my #1 aftershave lotion. A truly powerful fragrance and gentlemanly scent to finish a great shave. And it actually was a great shave.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Deve essere stata una bella esperienza! Spero vi sia piaciuto un'esperienza davvero meravigliosa barba!

(Or that's what Google told me, I am not sure :))

Anyway, a fantastic choice of shaving gear!
A fantastic shave, I image!

Excellente! Great post Marco. You always communicate in such an informed and clear manner. I could actually get close to recreating that shave as I have the 1800, proraso and Clubman. No stratght razor as of yet though.

Ahhh! To quote Louis XVI, "Luxury is it's own reward. Of course one must be careful not to lose one's head with overindulgence." The only thing missing was a shoe shine before you ventured forth. But a footwear finish for a tonsorial visit may be more of an American tradition than a Italian one.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ahhh! To quote Louis XVI, "Luxury is it's own reward. Of course one must be careful not to lose one's head with overindulgence." The only thing missing was a shoe shine before you ventured forth. But a footwear finish for a tonsorial visit may be more of an American tradition than a Italian one.

Yes, this is correct Sir. The only period in which the shoe-shine practice was popular in Italy was at the end of WWII and until the late 1940's. The huge poverty of the South combined with the US troops request and habit for this kind of service outside barbershops let the shoe-shine activity have a certain good success. Also, the word sciuscià, which was just an Italian slang definition for shoe-shine, became widely common in Naples and in the South regions during those years.

Thanks everyone for the nice words of appreciation.

Last edited:
I don't understand straight razors, isn't there suppose to be a blade on that straight razor?

Um. There is. A great big sharp one. Right acoss the bottle of Pinaud, in between the words 'Pinaud' and 'After'.

Last edited:
Very nice! I haven't bothered to use after shave lotions, but you've tempted me to purchase a bottle of Pinaud's. btw, I can't remember if my late dad's barbershop--my dad was born in Riesi, Sicily--used Pinaud's or Stephan's lotions. I may need to try both.

Um. There is. A great big sharp one. Right acoss the bottle of Pinaud, in between the words 'Pinaud' and 'After'.

O I see it, it looks like it's apart of the straight itself. I can see the difference between the blade and the rest of the straight upon further analysis though.

Top Bottom