What's new

444, the super refreshing moisturizer

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
444, para depois de barbear. This is a truly unique aftershave balm produced by an old and prestigious Portuguese brand. It contains a good concentration of menthol and glycerin and, therefore, it’s extremely refreshing and moisturizing. It represents the perfect answer for those who have sensitive skin and like aftershave splashes, but cannot stand the burning feeling on the face that almost all alcoholic splashes produce. And, also, 444 is a super moisturizer. The high proportion of glycerin it has fights incredibly well skin dryness, which certainly is another huge issue with many AS splashes. Furthermore 444 does not leave any kind of residue or oily sensation. It just gives a strong “icy kick” that lasts, with a pleasant mentholated scent that is not overpowering at all. This fabulous, traditional, Old School balm is sold at Vintage Scent at the reasonable price of € 3.95 for 37 grams of product. And since you only need a pea-size amount each time, a tube is going to last several months. Leon at Vintage Scent gives an illuminating guideline on how to properly use 444: “After you shave, put some A/S splash and let it sting for a few seconds, then I suggest you to mix a small portion of "444" balm with a few drops of Aftershave splash or cologne and put it on your face. That will give you a cooling sensation that lasts a long time”. 444 is a great, classic barbershop product. 444 is a tremendously effective balm. 444 is a magic number.

P.S. Here is the ingredients list: glycerin, menthol, distilled water, carboxivinil resin and disoproprilamin.

Last edited:
444 is an outstanding product. An excellent piece of Portuguese tradition. It is made in the northern Portuguese city of Porto, which is also the world capital of Port wine (perhaps the very best well known Portuguese product!).

444 is perhaps also the oldest Portuguese shaving product that still exists today. It is not only a piece of Portuguese tradition - it is also part of the collective memory of the Portuguese people.

Some decades ago, in Portugal, virtually every men in Portugal used 444. Not for the "manly" qualities of the product - those were hard times, and 444 was the only aftershave balm widely available to the majority of the population!

Nowadays, in Portugal, you can find it virtually everywhere, in every drugstore, barbershop supplier, most pharmacies and also in some supermarkets. Very inexpensive, specially if you are able to buy it locally. :001_rolle I can buy it in local drugstores for a price between €1,75 - €2,50. But this product, with its quality and its vintage aura, had acquired a status on its own, and now it also sells at high-end stores and "vintage-market" shops!

Good to know that this product from my country is now available to the world and is so widely appreciated! :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
444 is an outstanding product. An excellent piece of Portuguese tradition. It is made in the northern Portuguese city of Porto, which is also the world capital of Port wine (perhaps the very best well known Portuguese product!).

444 is perhaps also the oldest Portuguese shaving product that still exists today. It is not only a piece of Portuguese tradition - it is also part of the collective memory of the Portuguese people.

Some decades ago, in Portugal, virtually every men in Portugal used 444. Not for the "manly" qualities of the product - those were hard times, and 444 was the only aftershave balm widely available to the majority of the population!

Nowadays, in Portugal, you can find it virtually everywhere, in every drugstore, barbershop supplier, most pharmacies and also in some supermarkets. Very inexpensive, specially if you are able to buy it locally. :001_rolle I can buy it in local drugstores for a price between €1,75 - €2,50. But this product, with its quality and its vintage aura, had acquired a status on its own, and now it also sells at high-end stores and "vintage-market" shops!

Good to know that this product from my country is now available to the world and is so widely appreciated! :thumbup:

Emanuel, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and thoughts with us. The historic background given above certainly deserves attention. And confirms what I have always believed to be the truth: the best products available are those of our tradition and there is no better test of greatness than standing the test of time.

Emanuel, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and thoughts with us. The historic background given above certainly deserves attention. And confirms what I have always believed to be the truth: the best products available are those of our tradition and there is no better test of greatness than standing the test of time.

Marco,

Firstly, excellent review. Definitely a product I have to try. I have many Portuguese friends and this is definitely special to them.

Regarding your comments above in bold; Perfectly stated and something I've personally guided my buying decisions on for many years.:thumbup1:

I've been using Proraso Aloe and Green Tea soap with 444 ASB...just awesome!

Mixing it with the Hazel...now there's an idea.

BTW Montecristo...check out http://vintagescent.com. They sell it and ship internationally...not sure how much the shipping is though...

Love the screenname...had a #2 in India on business a few years ago...it was awesome.
It's actually strange taht no one else sells it online, since it is obviously very common to find it in Portugal for a very cheap price.
Why haven't any other vendors imported it?
Especially since almost everyone who tries it likes it or even loves it.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco,

Firstly, excellent review. Definitely a product I have to try. I have many Portuguese friends and this is definitely special to them.

Regarding your comments above in bold; Perfectly stated and something I've personally guided my buying decisions on for many years.:thumbup1:

Thank you, Joe. 444 is truly something special that works incredibly well. It's a super moisturizer with a huge cooling effect added. And this product is unique: in fifteen years of wet shaving I've never seen anything like it. I'm highly impressed.

As a principle I don't use any AS that doesn't contain alcohol; but after reading through this thread I just couldn't help ordering a tube. It should arrive tomorrow. :w00t:

I'm so spoiled by the quick shipping here in the states, how long does 444 usually take to get here? Incidently, I've started using the Nancy Boy Cooling Gel in the same manner you guys use 444. Peanut size glob in my palm and then add a splash of AS, very nice!

As a principle I don't use any AS that doesn't contain alcohol; but after reading through this thread I just couldn't help ordering a tube. It should arrive tomorrow. :w00t:

Hey Captain, 444 AS does contain alcohol... here's the correct CTFA ingredients list:

Ethanol, glycerin, carboxivinil resin, disoproprilamin, menthol, and distilled water.

(taken directly from the package and translated into English).

proxy.php

The ingredients list that you can see in vintagescent is not correct. Hey, Bruno, time to fix that! :biggrin1:

A different perspective:

444 is a cheap product IMO, as opposed to being inexpensive, which directly implies quality bought for less.

If your skin is dry and sensitive, this may work as well as advertised. If, like me, yours is normal, or if you have oily skin, even using the application methods suggested, given its only moisturising comes from glycerin, it's more likely to leave a tacky or wax-like film that feels like you're wearing something on your face.

The menthol is vague and mild too, especially if you're used to menthol aftershaves. I used mine a few times before consigning it to one of those that was useless for me. Just as well it was cheap.

Hey Captain, 444 AS does contain alcohol... here's the correct CTFA ingredients list:

(taken directly from the package and translated into English).

proxy.php

The ingredients list that you can see in vintagescent is not correct. Hey, Bruno, time to fix that! :biggrin1:

Thanks for the update, Emanuel :001_smile
So much the better!

Top Bottom