What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

One more shave left in the jar of SJOL Lavender & Geranium. Lathers have been very good and the scent is subtle. I sneaked a shave with the brushless Provence Sante last week, and must say that it's unbelievably slick. I'm a little worried about how protective it is, but I have no worries about glide.

How many shaves in a jar of SJOL, Bob?

I think I decided to go 3017 on the GFT.
Using more product starts now!

I'd say 70-75 shaves, Tony. I'm sure guys who are a little more frugal on the loading could get it to 90 or 100 if they tried. Very little cream was necessary to get plenty of lather. SJOL is very good stuff.

I can't figure out how you guys "3017" anything. I am head over heels in love with AOS creams these days, but I'm having trouble just using 2 flavors. I can't tell you how many times I've almost pulled the trigger on the sandalwood . . . .

After 7 years doing 3017, it's just a habit at this point. When I started I had to put all of my soaps and creams into a box and put them in the top of the closet in a different room to eliminate the temptation.

Remarkable. The only way I could get through "Tabactober" was to rely on the fine print, and that I use the deodorant every morning; failed on the soap part.

I am naturally lazy, so anything that makes me go out of my way to do something (like pull out the box and get something out) has a built in deterrent.

I get bored after a week. Go through a little doldrums then enjoy it for another week or so.
Then I invent ways to really use up product like accidentally put the puck under a running tap.

I think in this case I will attempt a 3017, but if boredom strikes too bad I'll just move on.

I will say this about the Provence Sante brushless cream, it's unbelievably slick, and just getting it rinsed off my face at the end is a chore. The time I save cleaning out the brush and the bowl and the end, and lathering in the first place is lost with this rinse. I'm seriously considering shaving pre-shower so that everything just gets rinsed off more easily. We'll see.

I will say this about the Provence Sante brushless cream, it's unbelievably slick, and just getting it rinsed off my face at the end is a chore. The time I save cleaning out the brush and the bowl and the end, and lathering in the first place is lost with this rinse. I'm seriously considering shaving pre-shower so that everything just gets rinsed off more easily. We'll see.
I do that with Kiehl's brushless cream. I like it, but it's not exactly water soluble. I also believe it contributed mightily to a blocked sink....

I changed my workflow this morning (God, I hate that term), and shaved first, showered second. That worked better for getting the cream rinsed off, and I got ready about 10 minutes faster, but the shave wasn't as good. These whiskers need more hydratin' first. I don't think alum would help much, as this stuff is as slick as all get out.

It's a lather killer, Bob. I'd be very surprised if a quick alum rinse when you're done doesn't take care of it.

After one year with one brand of soap (Mystic water with minor exceptions), I thought I'd have a go at exploring creams more than I have in the past.
I've probably got more than enough cream to last the year, but would invite other recommendations.

Top of my list is Castle Forbes Lime - I one this in a Grooming Lounge giveaway and only used once or twice. And those uses, I loved.

Next tier is mostly foreign.
La Toja (bought in Spain). Limited use, not sure I like.
Indian Old Spice - I hated the first tube scent wise. Not sure this will see the light of day.
Godrej - this holds promise
Palmolive - I hate the soap stick, but this seemed better.
Derby Lemon - just picked this up last month, not yet used
Arko Fresh - like the Derby, not yet used.
KMF Cool Mint - big pump bottle, haven't used in years, but recall I liked it.
Kiehl's Brushless - I really do like this stuff, but it's on its last legs.
Clinique bruishless - not as good as Kiehl's in my memory, but it was a long time ago.

I will pick up some TOBS - I loved the lather I got from the Aloe sample earlier this year.

Anything else I should try? Anyone else want to join me?

Penhaligon Blenheim Boutique
Art of shaving
Jack Black

I will give myself high marks for giving the PS Green Tea brushless a chance (and a couple of weeks at that), but I can't use it as a daily driver. Into the bin it goes. Coate's Lavender is now on tap.

Check that, the tube of Lavender and a tube or Rose had dried out, becoming unusable. My last tube of Coate's Rose is now on the clock.

I think I'm about 12+ shaves in on GFT.
The scent is light, and that's about the only bad thing I have to say about it.
Makes nice thick, slick lather that meets my needs and, despite rinsing really cleanly, does not dry out my skin. In fact, skin feels quite moisturized, with no AS needed

I'm a big cream fan. Proraso red and green, old spice regular and musk, clubman are my favorites and you can't beat the ease of use. Just a little on the brush and lather up the face and are great for travel.

Top Bottom