What's new

2017 - Year of the Cream

TOBS is great, you'll like it, they have some wonderful scents. Try Eton College if you like citrus, Mr. Taylor's if you're more into cologne-y scents.

IMO, Simpson's and St. James of London are must-tries.

Musgo Real is one of the slickest creams out there, while Erasmic may even be slicker. Biotique Palmyra may be the slickest of all.

Don't worry, pretty soon we'll have a suggestion for every day of your year of creams. :lol:

Alas, I won't be joining you. The thought of giving up my splendid soaps for a year gives me the willies. :scared:

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, haven't read that thread in a while. It did inspire me last year to find the Indian market on Street Road in Bensalem. Must revisit.

Sounds great!

I've toyed with this idea myself because creams are underrated in the shaving world. Haven't had a chance because twice now I've purchased large lots of slightly used soaps which each added a year or two to my stash. But my stock will dwindle next year.

Here's what I'd like to try:

DR Harris cream - Arlington is my favorite scent but I never got the soap to perform consistently well. If the cream is any good that would be a real winner. I'd give Windsor a shot as I've never tried it but would like to try all of their scents.

Taylor of Old Bond - when I tried some of their samples years ago I enjoyed them, but working on the full tubs of Mr Taylor and Sandalwood they had a strange synthetic smell. I'd give Eton College a try and maybe the Almond as well. The cream was a fantastic performer though.

Body Shop Maca Root - I 3017'd a full tub of this and it's a great performer with a mild scent.

Nivea - I found a tube of this cream locally once and it was a fantastic performer, very underrated.

Palmolive - I'd imagine it to be very similar to Nivea.

Speick - this is my travel cream and it's amazing, just as good as the soap.

Tabac - haven't tried it but I would guess it's just as good as the soap as well!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort and your favorite flavor of Simpsons.

Cheers, Steve

Sounds great!

I've toyed with this idea myself because creams are underrated in the shaving world. Haven't had a chance because twice now I've purchased large lots of slightly used soaps which each added a year or two to my stash. But my stock will dwindle next year.

Here's what I'd like to try:

DR Harris cream - Arlington is my favorite scent but I never got the soap to perform consistently well. If the cream is any good that would be a real winner. I'd give Windsor a shot as I've never tried it but would like to try all of their scents.

Taylor of Old Bond - when I tried some of their samples years ago I enjoyed them, but working on the full tubs of Mr Taylor and Sandalwood they had a strange synthetic smell. I'd give Eton College a try and maybe the Almond as well. The cream was a fantastic performer though.

Body Shop Maca Root - I 3017'd a full tub of this and it's a great performer with a mild scent.

Nivea - I found a tube of this cream locally once and it was a fantastic performer, very underrated.

Palmolive - I'd imagine it to be very similar to Nivea.

Speick - this is my travel cream and it's amazing, just as good as the soap.

Tabac - haven't tried it but I would guess it's just as good as the soap as well!

proxy.php

I'll mention Stone Cottage too -- I'm looking forward to trying my new sample pack.
I am also sitting on a couple of tubes of Godrej.

I finally made the drop for Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood and I am very impressed with the cream. That being said if you are expecting it to smell like TOBS Sandalwood you will be wrong. It has a very perfumed/cologne smell, it reminds me of something a King of England might have smelled like two centuries ago! I love the scent but I think if I had to choose I would go with TOBS. I do think the T&H has better performance though.

Castle Forbes Lime and Lavender are both spectacular creams. I can't recommend them enough!

I've continued to use the creams since my initial post in this thread, and the current stock looks like this:

Old Spice (1)
Coate's Rose (2)
Coate's Tea Tree (2)
Coate's Lavender (1)
Nivea Sensitive
St. James of London Lavender Geranium
Trumpers Violet
Provence Sante

I'm currently using Nivea Sensitive, and it will last into January, though I typically get about a month out of tubes that size (using an almond sized snurdle in the bowl). Based on this, I'd say I have about 3 weeks with Nivea, followed by a month each from the Old Spice and Trumpers, 2 weeks apiece from each tube of Coate's (total of 2.5 months), I'd say 6-8 weeks from my jar of St. James, and let's say 8 weeks from the Provence Sante (which is likely a brushless, so all bets are off for actual time).

Let's see....carry the 4....I'd say I have about 9 months of cream use for 2017. I'll then move onto the soft soaps in the den.

I won a gift card recently and was able to get a tub of TOBS Grapefruit, Trumpers GFT and Eucris tubes.
Gift card wasn't quite enough to spring for DRH, Truefitt or St James. Since the rest is essentially free, never mind. Think I'm good for the year.

Baume.be, surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet as just about every other good cream has. Have fun with the creams of 2017.

Tomorrow seems like it should start something new. Maybe the Arko or the Derby, or the Bingley Palmolive. Also tempted to go full splurge with the Castle Forbes Lime.

2 shaves in on Derby Lemon, and I can't find anything to complain about
Scent is good, heavy on lemon rind, just about lasts through the shave.
Lather is thick and slick, though I could probably do a better job of nailing water content. Ridiculously easy to lather.
Rinses cleanly, but doesn't dry out skin like other cheap creams have in the pst.
So far, so good!

My intention is to shave at least 5 times to get a feel of each cream. Maybe go full 3017 after sampling all.

Arko Fresh
Palmolive Refrescante
Palmolive (Indian)
Nivea Sensitive
TOBS grapefruit
Trumpers GFT and Eucris
Godrej
La Toja
Willy Espanol

2 shaves in on Derby Lemon, and I can't find anything to complain about
Scent is good, heavy on lemon rind, just about lasts through the shave.
Lather is thick and slick, though I could probably do a better job of nailing water content. Ridiculously easy to lather.
Rinses cleanly, but doesn't dry out skin like other cheap creams have in the pst.
So far, so good!

My intention is to shave at least 5 times to get a feel of each cream. Maybe go full 3017 after sampling all.

Arko Fresh
Palmolive Refrescante
Palmolive (Indian)
Nivea Sensitive
TOBS grapefruit
Trumpers GFT and Eucris
Godrej
La Toja
Willy Espanol

Sounds like a fun exercise! If you want to add another one, I would recommend Stone Cottage Soap Works. :)

Top Bottom