What's new

2017 - The Year of Creams

I'd forgotten how good creams can be until I found a tube of Bigelow hiding in my drawer. Great lather without effort, every morning. I could get used to that very easily; in fact, I bought three more tubes of it a couple of weeks ago just so I don't run out anytime soon.

The UK Palmolive (in the metal tube) is going fast and furious; I don't anticipate it lasting out the weekend.

I'm thinking that, due to the variety of Palmolive in the stash, I might work through them first to see if there are any discernible differences in performance between the European metal tube, European plastic tube, Australian plastic tube, and Indian plastic tube varieties.

All creams this year minus a February of Williams... I'm using UK Palmolive now, too. Very easy cream, just not super exciting.

All creams this year minus a February of Williams... I'm using UK Palmolive now, too. Very easy cream, just not super exciting.

That might be why I've been such a fan thus far...it's been delivering top notch performance, and the scent is mild and pleasant and is gone after the shave is done. Sure, it's just a generic soapy scent, but it's not one that I could see myself getting tired of.

I like using all of the Indian creams that you have except for the park avenue regular. I just don't like the scent of it but it works great. Interesting thread.

Palmolive UK has breathed its last breath. Overall a great start to my year of creams. Each shave was fantastic and the lather was absolutely tops in every respect. I'll be using it as a benchmark for sure.

Up next is the Lemon Palmolive from India. I don't have the UK ingredients list so I can't do a side-by-side but I'm very interested to see if performance will be different.

proxy.php

I think this is the year for creams for me as well. I have a half tub of the new col conk lavender cream, Palmolive moisture and lime, and 3 or 4 tubes of Bigelow stashed somewhere

After 8 days of shaves with the Lemon Palmolive, I feel I have enough experience to post an opinion. It's obvious to me that this formula differs from the Palmolive Green cream from the EU. On morning where I didn't put on the Nivea balm right after shaving and I could feel that the shave left my face a little tighter than I'd prefer. This never happened with the Green cream. The Lemon also seems to dry out much faster than the Green, as during the 2 minutes I let the initial lather sit on my face while brushing my teeth, the Lemon lather dried out a bit and began to shed those white soap flakes that resemble snow all over my sink. I've found that adding more water to my initial lather reduces the flakes by the end of my teeth brushing, but this is something I never had occur while using the Green tube. The actual shaves themselves are still very good, and I get a DFS each morning. The Lemon scent leaves something to be desired as well, IMHO. It reminds me of lemon Pledge; just very synthetic in nature. I didn't expect much from such a cheap cream, but I much prefer the neutral, soapy scent of the Green cream to this artificial lemon. I'm sure it's nice in much of India where it's so warm year round, but the dead of Chicago winter isn't an ideal time for me. I have another tube of this Lemon cream that I may revisit in August or September to see if I enjoy the citrus scent more.

TL:DR - it appears to me that there are most definitely differences in Palmolive cream formulas. Indian cream seems to dry out faster and leaves my skin drier than the EU, and the synthetic lemon scent isn't a home run. Shaves themselves are about equal.

1.. Palmolive Green Cream (EU) ------------ 12/18/16 - 1/8/17 --- Rating : 5 / 5
2.. Palmolive Lemon (India) ----------------- 1/9/17 - Current

Palmolive Lemon gave up it's last on Thursday morning. Overall, a decent cream, but not as moisturizing as the Palmolive Green from Europe. Performance during the shave was on par with the Green, and the artificial lemon scent wasn't my favorite. Wouldn't repurchase.

Up next is a cream I haven't seen much posted about ever : Gatsby out of India. [MENTION=87670]Guru17[/MENTION] sent this to me when I was in Bombay on business in 2015 as part of his "Indian Care Package," as I couldn't purchase anything while there because of the yearly restraint. I am very much looking forward to giving it a go, as I remember Guru saying that it was one of his favorites.

proxy.php

1.. Palmolive Green Cream (EU) ------------ 12/18/16 - 1/8/17 --- Rating : 5 / 5
2.. Palmolive Lemon (India) ----------------- 1/9/17 - 1/26/17 ---- Rating : 3 / 5
3.. Gatsby (India) ---------------------------- 1/27/17 - Present

Palmolive Lemon gave up it's last on Thursday morning. Overall, a decent cream, but not as moisturizing as the Palmolive Green from Europe. Performance during the shave was on par with the Green, and the artificial lemon scent wasn't my favorite. Wouldn't repurchase.

Up next is a cream I haven't seen much posted about ever : Gatsby out of India. @Guru17 sent this to me when I was in Bombay on business in 2015 as part of his "Indian Care Package," as I couldn't purchase anything while there because of the yearly restraint. I am very much looking forward to giving it a go, as I remember Guru saying that it was one of his favorites.

proxy.php

2.. Palmolive Lemon (India) ----------------- 1/9/17 - 1/26/17 ---- Rating : 3 / 5
3.. Gatsby (India) ---------------------------- 1/27/17 - Present

Haha Ryan,look forward to hearing how you like it.

That Palmolive Green lather looked fantastic Ryan.

Thanks Derek, it shaves as great as it looks. Still my benchmark as I move through my stash.

About the european Palmolive composition

View attachment 719725

Thank you much for posting! Interestingly, it looks extremely similar to the Indian Palmolive cream (shown below.) I'm no chemist, all I know is that the Green from the EU performed better than the one from India (more moisturizing, less lather dry out/disappearing)

proxy.php

Great information thank you for posting this. I am just starting to use creams and this is very helpful.

Glad to hear it, Mat! I know there's another thread of gents working through creams in 2017, and I hope that this can become a reference thread for guys who are interested in the wide variety of creams out there (as well as a reference for me when I'm trying to remember what I liked! :lol: )

Haha Ryan,look forward to hearing how you like it.

Going to give it a few more shaves before formulating my opinion, but the initial 5 or so shaves were good!

Thank you for your kind words, but don't need to thank me at all. Yes, the compositions are very similar, but that's just an indicator, doesn´t mean they are the same.
You made me revisit the Palmolive cream, long forgoten in my shelf. Was one of the first creams I used, and hadn't great memorys about it, probably because it is so vulgar and widely available here, but it gave me a great shave. Great lather. It´s an honest product wich do what it is suposed to do.

Thank you for your kind words, but don't need to thank me at all. Yes, the compositions are very similar, but that's just an indicator, doesn´t mean they are the same.
You made me revisit the Palmolive cream, long forgoten in my shelf. Was one of the first creams I used, and hadn't great memorys about it, probably because it is so vulgar and widely available here, but it gave me a great shave. Great lather. It´s an honest product wich do what it is suposed to do.

The Palmolive is my desert island cream - I could easily see myself using it each day and not becoming sick of it. It's a clean scent that doesn't stick around and delivers a phenomenal shave. Glad I could help you rediscover it from the back of the medicine cabinet!

Gatsby is going quickly. I have to say that it's a bit of a mystery. My normal process after a shower is to build a lather, brush my teeth letting the lather soften up the whiskers, then rewetting the lather with a bit of water and shaving. Generally, if the soap or cream dissipates, disappears, dries out, etc. during the 3 minutes I'm brushing my teeth, it doesn't shave well.

The Gatsby lather dries out and starts to disappear while brushing. However, after rewetting, I'm able to get a very comfortable shave. It's slick and I like the touch of menthol. The lather is nothing special to look at and appears a bit light and airier than I'd typically like - however, I cannot argue with how close the shave is. I wouldn't expect the lather to give a serviceable shave, much less a DFS. I probably wouldn't seek out replacing it, as I don't think it's readily available in the States, but I'm enjoying working through the tube.

Top Bottom