What's new

2016/17 English Premier League/ Champion's League season

Chelsea looked great today. Diego Costa has been outstanding all year, and the defense just smothered LC today. I don't think they had any on target shots.

I didn't see the Chelsea match, but Leicester still on the slide. Is it possible to do well in CL and become relegated in the domestic competition? I think they have too much talent to idle for long, but so far, they haven't looked very good. Chelsea have quality just about everywhere on the pitch, so whatever their problems last year, I felt like they would have a bounce back season. Conte came into a virtual can't miss, except for the fact that the cream seems to be rising so far this season, so it could be quite a heated battle, even for CL. Everton under Koeman have a chance, and though they were extremely conservative yesterday, they looked the part the times they came forward and actually used the ball for something other than kickball practice. City looked great for about 98% of that match and fell asleep on one play which Lukaku finished coolly but City also missed 2 penalties and threatened most of the game. They look serious contenders to take it all this season. Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal are all right there and Tottenham will be hungry all season after being in the driver's seat last year and faltering down the stretch. I'm not seeing the underdog story or even the west ham, middle of the table team who rises up into the top tier. It's gonna be chalk this year.

I'm excited to watch the big Monday night game(midday here in LA). United need a result but Liverpool have been solid and have more consistency under Klopp than Mourinho's crew. Big early season matchup. Go Red!

Echo!

3 teams tied up top and we can't muster a "how 'bout them Gunners?"

There is still plenty of time for them to blow it again, although I hope they don't for Wenger's sake. He deserves better treatment than he has received over the past few seasons.

Chelsea and Liverpool big winners this weekend. I'm more impressed by Chelsea as Conte is known more as a defensive coach and Everton could make a run at some silverware this season, the talent they have. Watford, though tough in recent years, are not of the same talent and it doesn't surprise to see a result like that here and there.

City, Arsenal and Tottenham all draw to slip a bit. I had thought given the first half for City, they would control the second better, but Boro slow played them in the first to draw them in and became much more composed and aggressive in the second. Good result for them and in the end, well deserved. Not surprised by Arsenal/Tottenham result as a loss hurts either club at the top and a lot of times they end up more concerned about not losing than winning. Going to be a thrill ride of a season.

Conte sure seems to have sorted out Chelsea's defense, Cahill was never good enough to lead the back line so bringing back Luiz was genius, expensive but genius. Of course having Kante sitting in front of them sure helps.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I think Ramsey's injury problems this season have helped Arsenal. Yes, he is a gifted player who can win points on his own, but the lad has problems completing short, simple passes. I've watched him a lot over the years, and very closely a few years back when he was on loan at Forest for a few games. He has good vision on the pitch, can play lovely defense splitting through balls, but struggles with 10 yard passes which are the bread and butter of central midfielders. I think Arsenal will be much better off using him as a substitute late on in games.

Well done to West Brom today, the Foxes had some periods of nice football, but West Brom deserved the points they took. There is a pattern developing this season against the Foxes, mark Mahrez with someone who is faster and stronger than him (double mark when possible), stand off Vardy as he has lost a step of pace as he approaches 30 years old and can no longer easily get behind defenders, and pressure Drinkwater when he has the ball as Kante is no longer around to mop up. Tinkerman needs to sort that out quick or they could be in a scrap for survival, I think he'll figure it out though.

I know there is at least one Leeds supporter on this forum, so I thought I'd give them a honorable mention as they have ground out some decent results recently. I watched Leeds earlier this season and they looked horrible, but Chris Wood has found his scoring boots and Leeds have battled their way up to 6th in the table. If Bridcutt comes back from injury and forces his way into the lineup, they have a real shot at staying in the top 6 this season, a real surprise to me and credit to Gary Monk.

The Liverpool game was just plain fun to watch (unless you're a Watford fan). I can see now why Klopp has the reputation he does. It's too bad that Sturridge doesn't really fit into what Klopp's installed there. Those of you who remember US college basketball will remember Loyola Marymount's run and gun offense. Forget about playing defense, just score as many points as you can. Liverpool reminds me of this a bit, as their back line isn't the greatest, and they can't defend set pieces well at all. I guess it doesn't matter if you're putting up 6 and your goal differential is 5.

The Liverpool game was just plain fun to watch (unless you're a Watford fan). I can see now why Klopp has the reputation he does.

His Dortmund side were electric and L'pool are starting to look that way. Time will tell if they can be consistent as that has been the knock on some of these guys in recent years(Coutinho, Sturridge, Henderson - all great talents, but not always putting forth the best) and on Klopp(that he wears his guys out with the geggenpressing). Lallana has been really, really good this season and Origi and Firmino have put pressure on Sturridge to step up, as they are putting in consistently good performances.

As to the Loyola-Marymount reference, they were amazing to watch, and such a fantastic story. The 30for30 about Paul Westhead is a great retelling. It is a little like the Barce squad with MSN. It is fun, and some would say a good offence is the best defence(others would rubbish that and say you can't win it all without defense). One of the things I like about the Total Football movement is that you control the game and opponent by possession which some would call offense, but if you can get the numbers high enough, it puts the onus on the opponent to be extremely clinical in the few chances they get, and as you said, if you score 6 first, even when they do convert, it is meaningless.

Watched City-Palace this morning(early on the west coast). Good return for Toure. Is this Pep missing out on a talent, and getting shown up or brilliant handling of a player(and agent) for the good of the team? I'll weigh in, I think he got it right in terms of drawing a line with players' agents and public comments. He drew a no nonsense line and rewarded the player when he capitulated, and has gotten the best(for one match) out of said player. I don't know if this is the end of the Toure drama, but a big 3 points when it looked like they were headed to another draw. I thought he looked gassed in the 60th, but Pep subbed Nolito and kept him on. Shows what I know.

Sterling again looked scintillating. DeBruyne had a humdrum afternoon, but he placed the last two corner kicks on the ground into the six with both creating dangerous chances(and one goal). Either scouting or well drawn up play from the practice pitch. Bravo looked good in possession but gave up a howler at the near post.

Liverpool dominate, but end up goalless somehow. Still exciting in my book, but lacking maybe in overall feel. Process is important, even when results are forthcoming(as many B&B'ers can attest). I like the way this team plays and don't mind watching a draw when they move the ball the way they did. Definitely capable of taking it all, especially considering no European football.

I watched the extended highlights only, but it seemed that Man City should have won 5-2 over Chelsea today. So many missed opportunities. The bar from 3 yards out???

I don't know about 5-2, but a draw at the very least. Aguero and Fernandinho didn't do Pep any favors with their behavior at the end, either. 4 games out for Aguero (on top of the 2 from the earlier red card ban this season) and 2 for Fernandinho. Let's take the quick strike skill up front and the steady control of the middle out of the system for the next two games (Leicester and Watford, neither a gimme). With Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal playing so well, they didn't do themselves any favors.

Man City is in trouble. Leicester opened up a can of whoop *** on them yesterday, and Watford is playing really well.....just ask Everton.

Man City is in trouble. Leicester opened up a can of whoop *** on them yesterday, and Watford is playing really well.....just ask Everton.

After a couple wins, including this morning's big win over the Gunners, City look back on track. To me, possession teams always look the part. Arsenal are supposed to be that but played cagily all game, even when down a goal for the better part of the second half. Wenger coaches to situations too much, imo, which leads to a lack of identity which then leads to breakdowns in difficult times. Arsenal could easily be the team on the front foot in that game, they have the talent, but they figured to use that talent to get a counter(which they did early) but they were unable to shift gears and really apply pressure when they needed it.

City have not looked great, but have been getting results and despite concerns, sit 7 pts off the pace with a lot of season left. If they actually start playing like Bayern and Barce under Pep, it will be tough to deny them. I think Chelsea are well sorted and have their identity, so they are not likely to tail off, but in a long season, they will likely still give pts here and there. Going to be a close and entertaining second half.

Good match between L'pool and Everton. Red and blue looked good, but I am disappointed in Koeman's tactics thus far with Everton. They have quality all over the pitch and he is a student of Cruyff's school of total football. They were lacking in creativity and teamwork overall but showed flashes when they actually set out to possess and create. The Reds are in good form and cracked the Everton nut finally with consistent and sustained pressure. I can't make the call between them, Chelsea, and City. They are all right there, for me.

Chelsea is the most consistently impressive right now. They are looking a lot like Leicester did last year, pulling wins out of close games, and the defense has been suffocating. Let's see how they do without Costa to wreak havoc and finish up front during his suspension next week.

I haven't seen reports that MU has quit on him like Chelsea did last year, but I think it's fair to say that he doesn't like not winning.

Chelsea is the most consistently impressive right now. They are looking a lot like Leicester did last year, pulling wins out of close games, and the defense has been suffocating. Let's see how they do without Costa to wreak havoc and finish up front during his suspension next week.

I agree, their consistency up to this point has been stellar. Will they maintain it through the end of season? Without European football it should be easier for them, but they didn't show much resilience last season, and as pressure mounts, it could throw them off.

MU have started turning in some results and more consistency. I have never liked Mou's tactics, and his teams have lacked in watch-ability for me. I won't argue with his successes and certainly won't bet against him, as he's done more with less. The culture change from Fergie to Moyes to Van Gaal now to Mourinho in a very short time can't be overestimated and I think some growing pains out of the gate were to be expected. If he can push to top four, I think it will be a successful season.

My biggest question with Chelsea is how long they will put up with Conte's style as a manager. Everything was fine with Mourinho while they were winning, but it was quit-city when they had a run of bad luck. I suspect it will be similar with Conte. Liverpool looked good against Stoke and MU was good this weekend. Spurs certainly didn't mind when Redmond was sent off, but were only fair to middling up to that point. I could have killed Kane for totally blowing the pk, and Erikson hitting the bar on that gimme in the box.

Top Bottom