What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Count me out- I still have to acquire DR Harris Malborough and Lavender. And some Institut Karite. And a straight razor set up. And more fountain pens. I only have one ink (oh, the horror) :biggrin:

on edit: I just realized my Speick stick is getting low, and I don't have the cologne either. No way I can do a sabbatical.

After the damage I did this year I needed the 2012 sabbatical. Then I get an email today from WCS telling me I have a $50 gift certificate waiting to be used courtesy of my sister-in-law's husband. A couple months ago I gave him a DE, brush and cream to get him started and the gift certificate was his way of thanking me for getting him hooked. So it looks like I will now be placing at least one order sometime next year, probably sooner than later.

I'm in. I didn't do as well as I would have liked last year, but I think I've gotten pretty stable over the last six months. I've resisted both the super dense super Rooney Silvertip affair, Thater two-band, and more sexy M&F. I'm out of Speick, but I think I can hold off for a year since I've got so much other stuff.

Eugh, the last week or so I've gone through a little buying spree, so assuming my new puck of Tabac and half a tub of Acca Kappa 1869 will get me through a year, I think it's high time for me to show some gentlemanly restraint myself :)

I bought enough soap and blades to last me a year or two.
I've tried this before and always failed.

2012 is my year!

I'm in!!!

So, you won't be buying the Simpson limited-edition B&B butterscotch Chubby 4 in albino badger that comes out on January 2nd?

not me, in october i promised SWMBO not to buy anything shaving related for the rest of the year, Im down to a VDH puck but jan 1st is coming...

Oh come on. Bull Goose and West Coast Shaving are both out of that nifty blade bank. The one thing I actually NEED.

Oh come on. Bull Goose and West Coast Shaving are both out of that nifty blade bank. The one thing I actually NEED.

I know asked Phil about a week ago, he didnt know when they would be back in stock. I plan on snagging about 5 of them. And maybe a few blades, brushes, soaps, shampoos you never know what you might need.

I think that I will be participating in the sabbatical. I have enough shave cream/soaps to last about two years, about 500 blades, three brushes, four razors, two blocks of alum and three bottles of witch hazel.

The only out I will leave myself is that a guy I know is heading to Paris and Provence this coming May. I have already recruited him into DE shaving and he is willing to be my MdC mule.

I will be laying out for three jars of MdC and have him haul it back in his luggage. If all goes according to plan - I should be able to make it through the 2013 sabbatical, too.

I'm gonna do this. I'm only a n00b in terms of posts and time served, but in just under 6 months of DE shaving I will have built up the following.

Razors: Merkur HD, Merkur 15C, Muhle R89, Gillette Tech, Gillette Superspeed, Gillette NEW Long Comb, Plastic Handle Tech...plus another mystery razor on the way from a friend.
Brushes: 3 x Boars, a badger that belonged to my Father, An EJ Best Badger...and Santa is bringing me a Duke 2 in Best for Christmas.
Soaps: MWF, DR Harris Marlborough, Palmolive, TOBS Sandalwood.
Creams: T&H Trafalgar, TOBS Sandalwood, Palmolive, St James Sandalwood & Sage.
A/S: Tabac, TOBS Bay Rum, T&H Trafalgar, TOBS Sandalwood, Musgo Real.
Cologne: C&E Limes, DR Harris Marlborough.

I have enough to see me through 2012 and it is definitely time to slow down!! :scared:

My exceptions will be:

1) Straight razor restores. I have 2 already out with a restorer and may send a couple more that I picked up at antique stores if I get on okay with a straight. I figure this is just bringing into a usable state things that I have already acquired!
2) DE Blades. Not enough to see me through 2012 so I will need to place an order at some point, probably around mid-way through the year.
3) A replacement when I run out of Tabac aftershave, which is probably not far off. I love the stuff. I have a hankering to try Proraso so I might get that instead and if I don't like it so much then I'll just have to live with my decision.

I am also starting to think that I want a Muhle R41, but that will just have to wait until 2013!

Edit: Well, look at that! It only took 50 posts for the ADs to spiral out of control and require 'treatment'...They warned me that B&B could do that to man. I should have listened! :blush:

Last edited:
I ought to join in, because I have a lot of stuff now ... but there are a couple of things I have in mind ... so I'll be honest & skip this time.

Anyway, our B&B Vendors can't be too happy with this thread! :laugh:

Last edited:
I am not much of a sabbatical person, I am afraid.
There's just too many items around that I consider must haves.
Which they are not, of course.

Nevertheless, these sabbatical initiatives have fueled my sense of frugality.

The purchasing policy next year will probably be something like 'use before buy'.

I want to, but there are 4 straights on my "must-have" list that, should I find them for a reasonable price, will end up breaking the sabbatical. I do, however, have enough software to last me for a year, so I may just do a non-razor sabbatical. :)

Top Bottom