What's new

2012 B&B LE Fountain Pen**Closed**

This will be my Father's Day and birthday gift and I can't wait to get it! My six year old will be the one to give me my gift, so that will be especially cool.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am so looking forward to this pen.
I had originally thought the 2011 LE was large, but after using it, it's so comfortable that I have no qualms about this one.
I have man sized hands, and while the petite little pens may look nice in the pocket, that isn't where they are used.

About a week left on this right?

I am so looking forward to this pen.
I had originally thought the 2011 LE was large, but after using it, it's so comfortable that I have no qualms about this one.
I have man sized hands, and while the petite little pens may look nice in the pocket, that isn't where they are used.

About a week left on this right?

Yes sir, no fence sitting on this one.

Two years ago at this time, I had a couple of fountain pens that I used regularly--three Waterman Phileas models that I had gotten as presents at different times and a Montblanc that I got from my father-in-law not long after I got married. It was only after joining in discussions here in The Nib that I started to think more about the pens I was using. Since then, I've been trying different things. I've been learning about vintage pens and I've added some nice old pens to my working collection. I've gotten a number of modern pens too--ones that I think combine aesthetics with functionality. I'm hooked.

But I have to say that nothing has compared to the experience of writing with an Edison. There is just something about the size and balance of each of the different models that I've tried. It's a totally different experience than writing with a nice new Lamy or a vintage Esty. it's just a beautifully designed piece of gear. To say nothing of how it looks. And it's big!

For a while, I've been thinking about getting Brian to make me a pen. I put together some ideas, but then I realized that what I was thinking about ordering was an Edison version of another pen. Do I really want to have an Edison version of a Pelikan 101N or a Big Red? Maybe, but what I really wanted was an Edison that looks like an Edison. And this pen is it. I can't wait until June when I can start writing with this bad boy.

When we did the last Edison group buy, I was very much hesitant about dropping such a huge amount of money on a fountain pen. Up until that point my most expensive pen was a Lamy Safari. I was fairly new to fountain pens, but based on the praise I had read both here and on FPN I decided to buy it, thinking I could sell it if I didn't like it. I've used it almost every day since it arrived in the mail. Once the announcement for the 2012 LE was made I didn't hesitate to drain my PayPal account. So to those of you who are in the position I was when the 2011 LE came around, I urge you not to hesitate if you have the funds to buy one of these writing instruments.

Brian did a few videos and took tons of pictures of the process of making the batch the 2011 Glenmonts, and I imagine he'll do the same for this one. You're getting an amazing pen at a price well below what a one-off model would cost and you're buying it from a guy who genuinely cares about what he does--from the instruments he makes to the customers who are buying them. My only regret about this pen is that I might be in the mountains of New Mexico all summer and won't be able to use the pen until August!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If anyone is fence-sitting on this one ... fish or get off the pot!

:innocent:

Seriously, though, the window of opportunity is short on this one. The sale closes soon.

If you have any questions about the pen ... :detective: ... post them now. If you have questions about the last pen (so as to get an idea about what this one will be like) ask them as well.

Here's your chance to own something pretty unique, and proudly demonstrate your B&B connection too ... last year we sold a grand total of 64 Glenmonts (as a glance at any one of the 64 pens will tell you) ... and who knows if we'll meet that number again (a little over, a little under ... only the Magic 8 Ball knows for sure ... and it's on lean to the NHL ...)

I'm worried about the size. I love my Shaeffer Triumph Imperial and Shaeffer Sovereign. They are a lot smaller and I write with them very well. I am scared about carrying around a much larger pen aswell.

I am worried about the size as well but I went ahead and ordered the pen anyway. I don't think it would be too tough to flip it on BST if I end up disliking it.

It's definitely a bigger pen, but if it weighs anything close to the Glenmont then it won't be much heavier than a smaller pen. Without a scale or anything, I can only go off of my own experience. Any of youse guys with the Glenmont feel free to tell me I'm wrong if you think otherwise. :thumbup1:

Negatives:

HUGE!
Pointy!
$175 is a lot for a pen

Positives:

Limited Edition
Beautiful color
Custom Made
Made in the USA
HUGE!

At least six more months of not buying any donuts before work? (175 work days/5 = 35 weeks = 245 days = 8 months)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's definitely a bigger pen, but if it weighs anything close to the Glenmont then it won't be much heavier than a smaller pen.

My Glenmont, eyedroppered & full of ink ... 25g
Pelikan 215 ... 24g
Parker 21 ... 22g

I look enthusiastically forward to this pen (as well as the Pearl from the FPN group buy)...great work Mr. Grey!!

Now I"ll have a M, F, and XF nib, I'll have to wait until later to get the B...then start ordering stubs and italics and whatnot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One thought ... for those who enjoy writing with a broader nib, italic, cursive, stub, &c ...

This LE pen is an easy eyedropper conversion, and will hold a lot of ink. That can make writing with a broader nib more practical, as you are not always worried about your tiny-capacity converter running out of ink.

... edit: and yes, Brian Gray does regrind his nibs to various broad specs. (As do others.)

Ok, I was recently PIF'd a Noodler Ink pen in the PIF Giveaway Round 5. I haven't really gotten to use it much, but it's definitely make me want to improve my handwriting. This pen is gorgeous, and like all hobbies I assume playing around with the Noodler is going to make me want something a little nicer. So, would you suggest a medium or fine nib for a newbie purchasing this pen?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ok, I was recently PIF'd a Noodler Ink pen in the PIF Giveaway Round 5. I haven't really gotten to use it much, but it's definitely make me want to improve my handwriting. This pen is gorgeous, and like all hobbies I assume playing around with the Noodler is going to make me want something a little nicer. So, would you suggest a medium or fine nib for a newbie purchasing this pen?

What nib size does that Noodler pen have, and do you like that size of nib?

The nibs on the Edison pens are German, which tend to be a bit thicker than their Japanese counterparts, so a "fine" on an Edison might be a "medium" on a Pilot.

You can buy extra nibs from Edison ... or from Goulet Pen Co. ($25) ... and doubtless other places ... so if you decide that your nib choice isn't perfect, it's not too expensive to change your mind and your nib.

Personally, I'd go with whatever nib seems best to you. If you are into neat printing or have small handwriting, you might want a fine or even extrafine. (I got a fine last time and extrafine this time.) If you like big, bold lines and larger letters/handwriting, a medium or even a broad might be better.

It's kind of a personal preference thing ... if you have gravitated toward finer-pointed pens in the past, you might like the same in a fountain pen, or maybe you want a change.

So, if I have this right, you folks on the fence have through this weekend to jump down on the buyin' side, or you'll get knocked off onto the cryin' side. Because then, Brian orders the rod. And production pictures start rolling in. And you start to regret your frugality.

Does that sound like where you want to be next week?

Top Bottom