What's new

2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

I definitely want to get in on this one. I've already got 4 backup soaps and a backup cream unopened, so I'll definitely make it through the year on software no problem (only 10 items open...). I've got about 10 aftershaves, only 1 of which is in danger of being emptied, and never really got into a bad SBAD. I do have a Kent gift set on the way with a boar brush and rebranded MWF, so I'm covered for that....

My only exception:

I want another injector. I've only got a G-type and I'd like to get at least 1 more. I've got 5 GEMs and 3 DEs (plus I asked for a Progress from my brother for Christmas), so I'm OK there, but I'm sorely lacking in the injector department. I've got a bid in for one on Ebay, so if that falls through, it's possible I'll need to get one a few days into 2011...

Well, I finally won an injector on the Bay yesterday, a Schick Grip. So I'm all set, with no needs or aching wants leftover from this year carrying over into next year.

Problem is, when I was searching the Bay and the BST for an injector, I managed to aquire 5 pucks of vintage Colgate, a Slim Adjustable, an Old Type, an Old/NEW frankenrazor, some NOS Schick blades, bunches of CVS SE blades (they were on SALE), and the Progress I asked my brother for (got it for Christmas).

I REALLY need this sabbatical because the ADs need to cool down. I'm running out of space!

I'm with you, Vlad. :thumbup:

I will limit my acquisitions this year strictly to:

- one soap;
- one brush;
- blades (if I need them - still have about 400 blades left);
- Knize 10 AS and cologne (if I get halfway through my remaining 400 ml);
- Alt-Innsbruck (if I get halfway through my remaining 250 ml).

I've acquired so many lathering products over the last 2 years I know I could do it.
As long as we don't count replacing my 2 most used aftershave splashes (Speick and Proraso), and leaving myself open to purchase any B&B group buy or LE brushes or soaps.

Just bought what hopefully will be my final purchases of the next two years.

Custom tgn brush from dsb.
From Joseph and his great Canadian shop:
Omega 49
Valobra
Palmolive classic
And a brick of p160

I wanted to get the brick for sure bc I doubt there will be any left in 2012 for me to buy. And well the rest is to get free shipping.

Still keeping my exceptions of aos sandalwood and a toggle if I am so lucky to find one in the wild.

I'm all for this and have been trying to move towards finding a setup that works for me day-in-day-out, but am I the only one that is engaging in a last minute spending binge before abstaining in 2011?

I'm all for this and have been trying to move towards finding a setup that works for me day-in-day-out, but am I the only one that is engaging in a last minute spending binge before abstaining in 2011?

Nope. Anything ordered by 11:59:59 New Years Eve is fair game. :lol:

Since I'm leading by example, I'm not ordering anything this week...all my stuff is already in the mail. :biggrin1:

Well... I placed an order this week, but it was for stuff on my list of exceptions, so I still made the spirit of the commitment. ;) (New York Shaving Company creams incoming!)

I've been on a sabbatical for about 6 months. Yesterday I bought 100 Derbys for $8, but other than that, I haven't bought anything new for months.

I also sold virtually everything I have. I didn't have Vlad-sized AD, but I had way too much stuff.

I'm now down to:

1 Razor (EJ 89DE L)
2 Brushes (Semogue 830 and 620) I need two because it takes more than 24 hours to dry
1 Cream (Proraso)
4 Great Soaps (PGS Tobacco, Trumper Coconut, Cade, Arlington, Euro Palmolive)
1 ok soaps (VDH)
About 150 blades
2 ASL (Boosters Proraso)
3 ASB (Proraso, Nivea, Neutrogena, Polo Black, Anthony Logistics)

I find that I enjoy my shaves much better. I really know my razor, brush, soaps intimately.

I see great deals on the BST, and I ignore them. Sometimes its tough, but after a while you get used to not buying. It really is a great feeling.

BTW, the more I bought, the more I realized that great soaps and creams are too similar to buy 20 of them.

Instead of buying another soap or two, I bought a really great rechargeable battery charger from amazon.com. It may not be exciting, but it was certainly needed in my family, unlike more shaving soap.

I want some Alt Innsbruck and Nancy Boy Cream, but I'll wait until I finish a cream and AS before I get it.

I am in.I have spent way too much money on shaving gear.
My exceptions
1.blades,I will need another 100 before the end of year.
2.Latoya in a bowl and a Penhaligon soap w/tallow,if I get the chance to purchase,I will.

Paul

2.Latoya?, like Jackson, I'LL TAKE A BOWL OF THAT TOO :w00t::tongue_sm:blushing:

I'm with you on this one, though!

I'm going to take the hard road here and waive exceptions. Blade inventory is going to be tight but I think I can squeak through, especially if I give my SE's and injectors some love.

One thing, though... anything EdC strength or higher is not technically shave-related and is fair game![/quote]

+1 Big time, One Exception, I'm getting 2 more bottles Perry Ellis (Original) Anniversary Edition, just received my first two :drool: :001_tt1: :ladysman::ladysman:, HEY NOW

As a newbie of 6 months who's collected somewhere around 25-30 DE's, 8 tubs of cream, 4 soaps, and about 8 aftershave splashes and balms, I would like to say that I want to succeed at this, but I would need some sort of intervention. I have enough blades to last me 3-4 years according to my Excel sheet, so wont be buying any more of those. And I have a number of samples I've yet to go through. Seriously, for someone who is studying to be a psychologist working with addictions, I sure as hell need to work on mine. :ohmy:

my exceptions: getting AOS sandalwood SC and ASB at a great price on the BST.
Any flea market antique finds of a toggle or double ring. THAT'S IT :tongue_sm

Don't despair, :ouch1: Al Pacino is a Method Actor, you can be the first Method Psycologist with an exclusive Practice of us ADDICTED:sod::shaving: WetShavers

Well, I am feeling withdrawal pains already.

It's very depressing to know that browsing the B/S/T is a waste of time.

I was looking there this morning and then it hit me that I had promised
"NO MORE PURCHASES"
:crying::crying::crying::crying:

Day 1

Haven't browsed the BST today, though I did yesterday, and found one listing very tempting. I still have a Valobra stick in my shopping cart at WCS. It's very sad. I keep telling myself, I have so many soaps and creams. Had a great shave today with my Stubby 3 3-band, perhaps my favorite brush, and C&S Oxford and Cambridge, which I am going to try to use every day until it's gone. At last, hope that the number of products will actually decrease!

[Edit: Ok, I snuck a peek at Sir Whisker's listing, just because I wanted to see if that 2-band D01 is gone.]

Last edited:
It's on! But I don't really think it's gonna sink in for me until all the stuff I ordered in December finally shows up.

Top Bottom