What's new

2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Live, Love, Laugh... and buy more shave stuff.

I tried this for a while and nearly ran out of lathering products in my truck. I made an emergency purchase out on the road that was not very exciting. When I got home I went straight to my stash and grabbed more than enough for several months on the road.

I don't buy a lot of shave stuff, but when I do, I prefer to buy premium products. Life is short, shave well my friends.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am in - I got so much DE shaving stuff I should be on that show "Hoarders". I am running out of places to store my works in my apartment. Seriously, I could easily get through the decade with my stash of blades, creams, soaps, A/S etc. Once 1/1/11 rolls around, I am going on a one year moratorium. Also, it might be fair to leave the great deals here on BST to the newbies.

I just got into the shaving "hobby" not all that long ago and I don't see myself taking any kind of purchasing break for at least 3 years. Way too much good stuff I want to buy still.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I just got into the shaving "hobby" not all that long ago and I don't see myself taking any kind of purchasing break for at least 3 years. Way too much good stuff I want to buy still.

Good man! Especially if you spread it out over three years you will have a lot to look forward to. One problem I see is when a fellow makes the same three years worth of purchases in the first three months. There just isn't as much to look forward to. Also as your skills develop and your tastes change you might really like a product that you tossed aside early on simply because you had to try it all right now.

I may have to restrain my daughter and relatives. They have been so happy that they can give me something, but I have so much now...

I am in. Except for blades. I really need to stop with the soaps and creams. My only planned purchase will be a shave brush on my birthday. Is that against the rules?

proxy.php

+1 :lol::lol:

OK, count me in.

Between this thread, "finish it in 2010", and selling some stuff, I hope to get my stash down to a reasonable level.

Ah for gentlemanly restraint.
I am feeling that much to quaint.
I'll be the first the stumble,
And certainly I not that humble.
I cannot put myself under constraint! :001_tt2:

Steady...steady! Don't go crazy on those last minute purchases to "tide you over" :whistling:. Remember, you're probably already getting something for Christmas, and think of all those lovely soapies in your shave cave that only see the light of day once a month.

I'll do a Q1 2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical... I loaded up on some pretty crazy stuff over the past 3 months, so I'm due to cool the jets. I had a Zen Den over the summer (so I thought) and went nuts buying up a bunch of stuff I never tried on this second wave. Finally, the wave has crashed.

Let's see, since September 2010 I have picked up:

1. Simpsons Polo 10 Super
  2. Simpsons Chubby 3 Super
  3. Simpsons Polo 8 Super (sold)
  4. Simpsons PJ2 Best (sold)
  5. Rooney Heritage Stubby 3 Finest
  6. Rooney Heritage Stubby 2 Super (sold)
  7. Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL Super
  8. Thater 4292/2 Silvertip
  9. Feather AS (sold)
  10. SMN Cream
  11. SMN Non-alcohol emulsion
  12. SMN Lavender AS Splash
  13. Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet Cream in Jar
  14. Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet EdT 100ml
  15. CREED Original Vetiver 100ml
  16. CREED Original Santal 100ml
  17. CREED GIT 100ml
  18. CREED Virgin Island Water 100ml
  19. CREED GIT Shave Soap
  20. D.R. Harris Lavender Soap
  21. D.R. Harris Chatsworth
  22. D.R. Harris Pink AS
  23. D.R. Harris AS Milk
  24. Merkur Progress w/ Case
  25. Art of Shaving Lemon Shave Soap
  26. T&H 1805 Cream
  27. T&H 1805 AS Splash
  28. T&H 1805 AS Balm

I should be good for a few months, right?! :blushing:

Hey, I'm only about 8 months in to this. I see 2011 as the year of the aquisition :D

That's the spirit!!!!:thumbup1:

I'll do a Q1 2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical... I loaded up on some pretty crazy stuff over the past 3 months, so I'm due to cool the jets. I had a Zen Den over the summer (so I thought) and went nuts buying up a bunch of stuff I never tried on this second wave. Finally, the wave has crashed.

9. Feather AS (sold)
  10. SMN Cream
  17. CREED GIT 100ml
  19. CREED GIT Shave Soap
  22. D.R. Harris Pink AS
  23. D.R. Harris AS Milk
  26. T&H 1805 Cream
  27. T&H 1805 AS Splash
  28. T&H 1805 AS Balm

Yep, u got it bad! But then again.......

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!
proxy.php

marty

OldSaw

The wife's investment

9. Feather AS (sold)
  10. SMN Cream
  17. CREED GIT 100ml
  19. CREED GIT Shave Soap
  22. D.R. Harris Pink AS
  23. D.R. Harris AS Milk
  26. T&H 1805 Cream
  27. T&H 1805 AS Splash
  28. T&H 1805 AS Balm

That's a nice list of exceptions. It's good to leave yourself an out. :biggrin: Have a nice year.

Not that I can't do it(actually I can't, I'll run out of blades before then) but I don't wana! So many pretty things I want to buy! Simpson and Rooney brushes to be bought! Soaps I haven't tried yet! Not to mention DE's I still only own 1!

I knew that I couldn't do it last year, but my prospects are looking good for completing the year with the following exceptions:

• More blades as I run out... I don't store hundreds
  • A backup of Coates Tea Tree cream (if I don't get one for Christmas)
  • One purchase of 2 creams from New York Shaving Company (this has been planned for a couple of months but life got in the way)
  • EdT/EdC samples (less than 10)
  • Gifts or purchases with gift money
  • One bottle of EdC/EdT as yet to be determined

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I knew that I couldn't do it last year, but my prospects are looking good for completing the year with the following exceptions:

• More blades as I run out... I don't store hundreds
  • A backup of Coates Tea Tree cream (if I don't get one for Christmas)
  • One purchase of 2 creams from New York Shaving Company (this has been planned for a couple of months but life got in the way)
  • EdT/EdC samples (less than 10)
  • Gifts or purchases with gift money
  • One bottle of EdC/EdT as yet to be determined

You should get at least 100 of each of your favorites.

That's a nice list of exceptions. It's good to leave yourself an out. :biggrin: Have a nice year.

Those aren't exceptions... those are the winnings from the past 4 months!!

I will say that the SMN after shaves are top notch... I will be buying more when I run out. I like layering the splash and then following up with the balm. Fantastic.

I'll give it a shot with the exception of SE blades (only have a few left), AS/witch hazel (almost out), and an ASB (again, almost out!).

Getting a ton of samplers (might buy the full size) and AoS soaps and creams, and along with my TOBS Avocado tub, Tabac stick, and new travel brush, I should be good except for my few mostly necessary "outs". Count me in!

The one thing I wanted in the next little bit has just been purchased before the end of the year (Simpson Colonel X2L). I have a lot of soap and cream to keep me happy through the year. So now count me in. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom