What's new

2011 Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

I'm in, though my plan includes the following exceptions:

--I've been eyeing a black-handled brush to match my black-handled Superspeed, so I should allow myself this one exception.
--To better organize my sink, I will need a new razor & brush stand, or six.
--I'll need a lime AS to match my Godrej lime shave cream.
--I'll need a lime cologne to match my lime AS.
--I recently discovered that the Personna medical blades are the best available, so I'll need a bunch of those to replace my stock of 300+ inferior blades.
--For the health of my face, I really should get an AS balm for the winter.
--Because we don't want to hurt our B&B vendors, really good sales should rightfully be rewarded with purchases.
--I don't have a scuttle. Should try one.
--Any product that might be on the verge of being discontinued is fair game.

Other than that, I'm not buying anything.

:001_rolle This is very bad juju for us. You're not helping.

I'm not falling for this trick again. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

I'm not falling for this trick again. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

It's definitely a challenge, with the google and the internets and stuff.

I can promise I'll slow down next year. I managed to burn threw the bulk of typical gear to try this year, so I have less left to dabble with in 2011 :thumbup: I wont even pretend I could hold out though, I respect you all enough to not lie to you. Besides who else is going to buy/review every new brush that pops up if I dont :lol::lol::lol:

I've been a member since May 2008 but I think now might be a good time to join the sabbatical. I have easily enough soaps, creams and aftershaves to give me an excellent choice for at least a year. The only thing I could possibly need is another 100 Feather blades as I'm down to my last 3 packs and they are really the only ones that work for me (everything else that hasn't worked gets passed on to my dad who, as far as I know, has never had to actually buy a pack of DE blades in the time he switched to using a DE a couple of years ago). I'm hoping I dropped enough hints to my brother that that's all he needs to buy me for Christmas but, since he is not au fait with the DE doctrine, I'm not certain. You know what I mean when I say "I use a Feather instead of a Fusion" but would anyone else?

Plus, I really, really want to treat myself to a Mama Bear's soap and figure if I abstain from purchases for a year, I can guilt-free place my order on Jan 1st 2012.

I have made up my mind not to purchase any new razors or brushes in 2011. I will be on the lookout for vintage soaps, blades and Shulton Old Spice in antique stores and flea markets. I don't look at those as purchases, more like humanitarian rescues of neglected pieces of history.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I will not even attempt to commit to something like this. I am a firm believer in stimulating the economy.:lol:

I think I may show some restraint, apart from Provence Santé Verlaine if it has been reformulated, and hopefully I will get that before the end of 2010. Otherwise I have just enough to last until 2040.

It has been six months for me, and I can tell you that I like my scaled down shaving den much better.

After discovering B&B I went a bit crazy. Not super-duper crazy (I got everything off the B/S/T), but I had way too much stuff. I sold almost everything a few months ago.

Now I have the perfect shaving den. I use each product more often, and appreciate them more. Here's my perfect den:

Razor- Edward Jagger 89DEL
Blades- Dorco, Red IP, Personna 74
Soaps - Arlington, Trumper Coconut, PGS Tobacco, VDH, Euro Palmolive, Cade
Brushes - Semogues 830 and 620 (you need two because it takes more than 24 hours to dry)
Cream - Proraso
ASB (One of each)- Nivea, Neutragena, Booster's Mosswood, Proraso ASB, Proraso Splash

I love having just one razor. My shaves are much better since I've done that. And all of my soaps are top quality (except VDH). I'd rather have quality than quantity, and I don't want $500 worth of soap sitting in my bathroom.

When my next product runs out, I will buy one more. It could be something affordable, like MWF or Tabac, or it could be something very expensive (Czech and Speake), but whatever it is, it will be just one item.

AD's really aren't fun. Chasing after the next great shaving product is an expensive and unfulfilling activity.

Top Bottom