What's new

The Shaving Shack blades

These are indeed the same as the Dutch Hema store brand blades. Below is a photo of the Hema packaging.
The mystery is over! Those blades are in fact made in Israel by Personna. I am fortunate enough to be able to buy these blades in two different supermarkets. In one of the packages, there is the address of the distributor in the UK (Personna), even though it is labeled as the "manufacturer". In the other, it is written that the blades are made in Israel.

Now, on to the review. These blades are very good. Not the sharpest ones available, but they give me excellent shaves. The price is reasonable (1.89 euro for a 10-pack) and they are very consistent. I am almost through 2 packs, and haven't found a single unusable blade, or any significant variation in quality. The lack of sharpness is compensated by an extreme smoothness. The packaging is quite good, a plastic dispenser and individually wrapped blades with no glue/wax.

I have tried at least 9 different brands that are available locally, and these are my favorite blades so far, by far.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are very good blades wherever they come from. I also got mine from the Shave-Shack as a gift along with my order. Good for 4 shaves with no complaints. I call them the mystery blades:001_smile
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I would say they are also the same as Tesco own brand (UK) and Carrefour own brand (France). They are both reasonable quality blades and reasonably priced
If I could but these blades in the US for around 15 cents each, that would be a great deal. But the cost of the blade and shipping to the USA, makes these blades around .35 cents each.:mad3:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
ive ordered somthing from the shaving shack 5 days ago and it hasnt come yet. how long did it take for you guys to get your packages.
I've found these blades to be good, however, for me, I only get one good 3 pass shave from them. Any more and I start to bleed! I've also noticed Asda are selling these exact blades in the same box etc with the name Personna on the blister pack!
I had some of these sent to me when I purchased a 1904 Merkur from the Shaving Shack. I Used them in my Futur and they worked well for me. Very sharp and I managed to get three good shaves before deciding to replace (I normally get four from my usual Derby Extras).

I did notice at the weekend that Tescos appear to be supplying exactly the same blades (same plastic box, artwork on cardboard insert, plain wax blade wrap papers and no printing on the blades) with Tesco branded outer packaging for £1.95 for a pack of ten.

Given the reviews for the Tesco blades I think these are well worth trying. The Shaving Shack ( www.shaving-shack.com )are currently supplying 30 free if you spend £9.99 or more.
I recently got a pack, and thought they were reasonable blades,

-Certainly very cheap,
-Noticed a difference of quality from the start to the end of a shave, being not as forgiving
-The blade was not as sharp as a Schwan Morton blade, which is a scalpel blade, that are not designed to be as sharp as for cutting hair but flesh
-Reasonably smooth shave
-Packaging, qutie poor and bland

Just an average blade!:eek:
Looking at your pics these must be the same as the Dutch HEMA blades.
There has been a lot of speculation about the real "identity" of these blades - and where and how they should be reviewed. But, as they are sold from Shaving Shack under their own brand, I believe that it is a good idea to review them as such.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I really wanted these blades to work out for me as they are very cheap and because Dan at The Shaving Shack is kind enough to hand them out for free together with orders over a certain amount.
In a way they do work; I get the best and most comfortable shaves with these - compared to the other blades I have tried; Merkur Platinum, Derby Extra and Gillette Platinum (Swedes). The problem is just; I can only get one good shave out of them (compared to an average of three shaves from the Merkur's, Derby's and Gillette's), second shave with the Shaving Shack blades is awfull with dragging, pulling and lots of irritation.

Price
These blades are very cheap, though for the same price you can get Derby Extras, which imho is a better option

Quality
I have two major quality issues with these blades:
1. Longevity; as stated abowe these blades only lasts me one good shave
2. The tolerance of the slot/holes is too loose, resulting in uneven blade exposure and requires some fiddeling around when placing them in two-/three-piece razors. I have experienced no problems with TTO razors though

Sharpness
Not as sharp as the Gillette's, but sharper than both the Merkur's and Derby's

Longevity
As stated; wery low. Only one shave for me in these blades

Smoothness of Shave
DFS every time, but without the nics and cuts I get from the Gillette's - and with little to zero irritation. Having a heavy beard and sensitive skin, I have trouble getting shaves that are both close and comfortable, the Shaving Shack blade is the best combination I have found so far

Packaging
Works perfectly and has a used blade slot on the back

I do not think these blades are bad, they just doesn't work for me - as I can not accept a blade that only lasts for one shave, a pity because in most other aspects they are perfect for me.
A frind of mine, who has a lighter beard, gets an average of three good shaves out of these blades and I imagine most people would get around the same amount as he does. But, if you have a heavy beard you are probably better off with another blade.

Regards.

Jakob
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)