What's new

what shaving cream should l try next

I've been wetshaving for almost 4 years. I've focused on soaps and to date have only tried Proraso and Maca root shave creams. I'm looking for something 'different'. Castle Forbes and XPEC have caught by eye, but l am embarrassed to admit that l have never tried TOBS or many of the other famous British creams. Musgo Real is also on my bucket list.
I only buy one cream at a time so l will not buy all at once. Decisions. What would you do if in my shoes? What will be my next cream?

Both my wife and I like TOBS. She currently has the grapefruit for leg shaving and I have both sandalwood and cedarwood. Fairly strong scents, which for me is a big plus, and great performance; slick and easy to lather.

Sent via mobile

I was shocked by how good AoS creams are when I tried them. Haven't used anything else since. Try the new oud.

Speick makes a great cream, with an herbal scent. Excellent performer. The only TOBS cream I've liked is their grapefruit. Nice lather and good grapefruit aroma. I've used lots of others, but these two are favorites.

Here's a vote for Truefitt & Hill. Try their sample pack of creams and take your pick.

Alternatively ... St.James of London.

I would go with XPEC, Baume.be, Wm Neumann, Castle Forbes or Meissner Tremonia shaving paste. All are amazing and, in my book, a couple of steps up from TOBS.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I've used Musgo Real before and found it to be a very good cream. It has lanolin in it which I like. The have some nice fragraces also

Al's shaving custom shaving cream. You get to tell them what scent profile you want your shaving cream, and they mix it for you. I have not tried it myself yet, i'm waiting to use up some of the cream in my rotation before i order.
Custom Shaving Cream

Screenshot 2017-03-27 at 7.37.32 AM.png

Here's a vote for Truefitt & Hill. Try their sample pack of creams and take your pick.

Alternatively ... St.James of London.
+1 for both T&H and SJOL. Samples are a great idea. My two favorites from T&H are Aspley (Their newest) & Trafalgar. Of all the samples those are the creams I bought by the tub.
My favorite from SJOL is the Sandalwood & Begamot. I do have a tub of their Mandarin & Patchouli ready to go.

Mikey

Last edited:
If you are looking for something different that is a GREAT cream and a wickedly unique and wonderful scent then try this one: Crabtree & Evelyn's Moroccan Myrrh.

Mikey

Castle & Forbes
+1 on CF . A thirsty cream, but the best Lavender there is IMHO. I have the CF Lime but have not used it yet. I find that using a little cream and adding a little water as you lather to get the awesome lather is the way to go. I bowl lather so that makes it easy to get that full, rich cream.

For performance, nothing beats Musgo Real, but the original scent is more suited to Fall/Winter, IMHO. Check out Tabula Rasa (I think BullGoose carries the line) or go all in with Penhaligon's. Blenheim Bouquet is a great spring/summer scent.

Thanks for the replies. In transit from Europe l have XPEC in both scented and unscented varieties on the way. I was lucky enough to score the matching XPEC after shave gels (not balm) on a famous auction site for a very attractive price. With a little luck finding the deal on the auction site and the favorable exchange rates, l got all 4 items for an extremely budget friendly amount.

Let us how that XPEC turns out. I am a big Tobs fan but I recently tried the Edwin Jagger shave creams. I got the Aloe Vera and Pomogranite lime for my birthday and they are amazing. They are a little pricier but man they lather amazing and they are slick. And the pomogranite scent is going to be perfect for summer. I would recommend trying some.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Speick is a standout for me, excellent products!

AoS, T&H, are very good as well.

Musgo is just average in every way, IMO...

Top Bottom