What's new

[POLL] BBS or DFS

BBS or DFS...

• Total voters
Thanks for all the comments and votes...

I knew DFS would be higher, but I thought it would be closer.

I don't think my skin is tough, I'm sure it is as sensitive as others when it comes to dragging a razor blade across it.

For prep, I shower and wash my face real good with Neutrogena bar face soap. When I get out, I apply my homemade preshave oil. I uber lather with VDH Deluxe, Proraso aloe and vitamin E and 7 drops of glycerin. My 48-50 Aristocrat is my goto razor. With a fresh blade, a BBS shave takes roughly 4 passes if I were to count my strokes. As the blade dulls, it takes a little more work, but the blade is better on my skin. I have 10 face and 10 head shaves on an Astra SS now and the blade is extremely smooth and still efficient. I flip the blade over everyday.

BBS face and head everyday.

Shower, face and head shave takes me about 45 minutes daily. I truly enjoy it a d wouldn't have it any other way.
Why do you flip the blade over?

Why do you flip the blade over?

A blade edge will bend before it dulls. Flipping it over keeps the blade edge where it needs to be. I call it face stropping...

I believe you will benefit more if you do it consistently from the start of a blades life.

I can't afford the safety of a DFS. I need to have a BBS for work, else I get hit for stubble by higher-ups or I drive myself crazy feeling it until I can shave it down. Feeling my BBS is just bliss.

This!

BBS is vastly overrated!

Not when you can attain it easily!

I was once part of the DFS club, but that all changed when I started using the NEW SC exclusively. BBS came with irritation until the SC came along. I learned that the SC is the best NEW made. All I needed to cross that threshold was rigidity.

Whether I use the Old Type, NEW SC, TTO's('50 or earlier), Postwar Tech, SE's, I can achieve irritation free BBS shaves no problem. All these razors are excellent ATG.

Everyone recommends the worse razors for ATG to a new person and then when they get irritation ATG, they simply say "Don't go ATG ever, it's not worth it."

There are other factors why people can't go ATG and achieve BBS, but bad advice is one of them.

Last edited:
Everyone is different, and no one is right or wrong. Myself included.

I expect a BBS shave every day, although I don't always quite achieve it (due to human error, these days). Most days, I would pass the cotton ball or business card test. If I did standard two- or three-pass shaves, I'm pretty sure I would never achieve a BBS.

Because I expect a billiard ball smooth shave every day, I lather my face twice, which I guess means I do two passes. Each pass (first, S-N, an equal mix of ATG and XTG, then ear to nose, from both sides, also an equal mix of ATG and XTG) is just the start. My strokes overlap each other by 80% or so, and I'm constantly buffing. I suspect each square millimeter of my face feels the blade 10 to 12 times per shave. During my second pass, I scrape the blade every different direction, and don't stop until I can't feel or hear any more hairs being cut down. Lucky for me, my old hide, abused by several years in my youth as a lifeguard in the Colorado sun, handles it well.

For me, the greatest joy of this quirky hobby is getting truly close and long-lasting shaves. I don't use any razor after a dozen attempts that can't give me the shave I want. I'd love to love my 8 or 10 vintage Gillettes, for example, but I can't get a close shave with any of them, so they gather dust.

Today was a DFS with the 3rd shave on an Astra SP - 3 pass technique. No burns, no cuts/nicks, and no hot spots. Prep included a shower first, face washed with Beardsmen Beard Shampoo (turns out to be a great shave prep product), and a hot towel before shaving.

Good enough for me! I'm a very happy camper!

Bill

As far as how long bbs lasts me...ill shave anywhere from 3-5am....and ill start feeling grain again at around 5or so pm then sleep wake up and its sandpaper lol

If I go BBS, the next day I will have small bumps around the goatee area. I can handle BBS on the lower jawline and upper neck, but it looks silly to have a visible stubble area mixed with visibly smooth. I stick to a 2 pass WTG->XTG with an occasional 3rd pass across from the opposite direction. Against the grain is just far too irritating, even with quality tools.

If I go BBS, the next day I will have small bumps around the goatee area. I can handle BBS on the lower jawline and upper neck, but it looks silly to have a visible stubble area mixed with visibly smooth. I stick to a 2 pass WTG->XTG with an occasional 3rd pass across from the opposite direction. Against the grain is just far too irritating, even with quality tools.

What do you consider quality tools?

The best I can afford lol. I have a Maggard V3 head on an M8 handle, Gillette silver blues, TOBS Jermyn Street cream (not as slick as I'd like, but I am still learning) and a badger brush. Way better in quality than my Mach 3 turbo, but not top of the line luxury eother.

I chose other, because I always do DFS on my head, and BBS on my cheeks/neck. At times I'll go for BBS on my head, but only if it's a morning shave or a shave where I can take my time before going out somewhere. I don't like getting BBS on my head during my night shaves, because by the time I hit the shower in the morning I can already feel stubble lmao

I usually end up at DFS, almost BBS except for 1 small spot between to moles and another on my neck. I don't like pushing my luck in those two small areas on most days.

Top Bottom