What's new

March Photo Challenge: Public Sculpture

The March photo challenge cometh.

The theme is Public Sculpture.

The challenge is to take a photo which contains a public sculpture or statue. It can be of any size or type, but it should be public. Almost every town has something you could call public art, so I think this one should be accessible to all.

This idea came to me partly due to my love for Lee Friedlander's wonderful series of photos of public statues in The American Monument, of which here are a couple:

Of course the photo doesn't have to be in black and white, but I have to admit, monochrome can look good for this subject.

The rules, recapped:
  • The photograph must be yours, taken recently
  • Only one entry.
  • The challenge runs from the 1st to the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th to the 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.
  • The winner of the previous months challenge picks new theme and starts thread.
Have fun and good luck!

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I took these a long time ago, but they are amazing. Always on display at the "Gounds for Sculpture" in Hamilton, NJ. Many real life sculpture representations of famous Renoir paintings. The place is awesome.
12030015.JPG
12030021.JPG
12030037.JPG

Mafeo Sutton.jpg

Here is my public sculpture shot. It is artwork of a killer whale on display at Mafeo Sutton Park in Nanaimo BC.

Jim

I've been looking at lot of sculptures the last two days - and photographing most of them too ;)

One particular piece hit something in me, and although it is not the best photo I have taken, I will go with this because I really like the simplicity and the symbolism in it.

The sculpture is called "Ægget" ~ "The Egg"

proxy.php

For those interested:
The sculpture is placed on the children's common grave at St. Nicholas Cemetery, Holbæk.
The burial site is a common grave for children up to 3 years.
The sculpture is created as a cracked egg with a little wishfully tree planted in a part of the shell. Stone- and sculptor Steen Jensen, has created the artwork, which symbolises the protection of the egg, and when the egg is broken and life begins, there may be unexpected things.
The small tree that is planted in the shell, is symbolising that despite everything, life must be lived forwards.

I think I shall have to second the vote for Jim!

If you really look at the Churchill, all you would have to do is add a bit of a hair flip and it would make a good Trump too!

I vote for Cash's "Eternal Gaze". And whoops on my entry, I forgot the deadline. Oh well, next month... Great shots everyone. Really interesting takes on the subject.

I too vote for Jim's photo. It was close between his and Cash's, but Jim wins on composition.
Hope I can join you guys next month.

Glad I got back in time to vote.

I find ninjashaver's Battle of Britain photo enthralling. The angle gives me a life like feeling of the pilots going into battle.

Top Bottom