What's new

Has anyone tried Lagavulin 16?

Unless you know you like the smoke and peat, you might want to start with another malt. Some good recommendations have already been made by others. Of course, I too would take an unwanted bottle off of someone's hands!

I like Lagavulin 16 - a lot - but I like all Scotch Whiskeys. Are there some that I prefer over others? Yep. Does it depend on the weather, the food I ate, the friends I'm with, the phase of the moon, and the time of year? Absolutely. And that's the beauty of Scotch Whiskey, there's something for everyone.

And just because you didn't enjoy your first dram of a new bottle, don't put it aside. Stick with it a bit. Try not to compare it to Scotch's you liked immediately. Try a lil water. Give it some time. Read some reviews of it, or even watch a one of Ralfy's videos about it. You might be surprised what you find liking, and not liking.

With that said, go out and but a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and enjoy the hell out of it. That's what it's meant for.

Single Malts are worse than the oil or soy bean markets. You need to find what you like and check your local shops regularly. I see a 50-75% spread in my area. I wish I acted on deals and stocked up (like swings in ammo..) when I first found Lag 16 less that $60.

Ah. Single malts are as much of a sport like other game and Burgundy's.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Single Malts are worse than the oil or soy bean markets. You need to find what you like and check your local shops regularly. I see a 50-75% spread in my area. I wish I acted on deals and stocked up (like swings in ammo..) when I first found Lag 16 less that $60.

Ah. Single malts are as much of a sport like other game and Burgundy's.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Informative post. Thank you. The ammo analogy was helpful as I target shoot.

I will keep an eye open for that elusive deal that can be had now and again.

Tomorrow, I think I am going to my local store.

Take care,
Jason

Lagavulin is my absolute favorite scotch. I have gone through many other bottles, Glenmorangie, Balvenie, Macallan, Oban, and others. And every time I keep coming back to it. A wonderful smokey peaty scotch with tons of character. A Scot in the neighborhood once said to me "it tastes like ***" in a thick Scottish brogue. Years later what do I find at his house but Lagavulin. You can't go wrong.

Realdog4, just picked up some more Lag16 at Costco the other day, its $69* FYI. Cheers

I definitely have to check out Costco. I ended up doing some household repairs today instead of going to the store.

Thanks for the head up.

About 3 years ago I went to a local tasting, where they had 4 or 5 single malts being featured. Lagavulin 16 was the last one I tried and the smokiness stuck out of the crowd, and in a good way. Over the past year I've tried many single malts (and a few blends), but I definitely lean towards the smoke and the peat.

And speaking of pricing I found a bottle of Lag 16 for 65 recently. Couldn't pass it up. Come Easter I'll be opening it for sure.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love Lagavulin 16. It's a great pleated Whisky that isn't as smoky as Laphroaig or Ardbeg in my opinion. The peat is very noticeable and present but overall I think it bridges the gap between Islay malts and those from other regions quite well. I would tell newer malt fans to try it first before a bottle of Ardbeg or Laphroaig.

I love Lagavulin 16. It's a great pleated Whisky that isn't as smoky as Laphroaig or Ardbeg in my opinion. The peat is very noticeable and present but overall I think it bridges the gap between Islay malts and those from other regions quite well. I would tell newer malt fans to try it first before a bottle of Ardbeg or Laphroaig.

I was reading your post and wondering to myself "what is pleated whiskey?" And then I realized that the "l" is a typo and you meant to say "peated". Aaaaaahhhhhh, the peat.

An excellent dram, would like Scotch even better if it was aged in barrels which had not previously been used; I sometimes suspect this hides imperfections but such is life. Lagavulin's smokiness doesn't overwhelm and it is a smooth drink probably best suited to the winter months.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As been described; a great balance of peat, smoke, ocean, Islay. My go to for years. Sorry it was discovered back then and the price jumped. I grab a bottle whenever I finds it locally less than $60 and when I need one for $70.

Enjoy!

Tom

Well, where I come from, it sells for $125 Canadian ... which is $91.33 USD. Count yourself lucky, whether it's $60 ... or it's $70!!

Well, where I come from, it sells for $125 Canadian ... which is $91.33 USD. Count yourself lucky, whether it's $60 ... or it's $70!!

I can only find it at around $90 American dollars but I am alright this price. I am not a heavy drinker.

Ah, the price seems to increase with latitude and region! Wish I picked up a case when it was $50 each back when I started enjoying single malts. I'll likely say the same about the Auchentoshan American Oak I found locally under $30 (not on par with Lagavulin but excellent value) in a couple of years..

Tom

Top Bottom