What's new

Top 10 Artisan Shaving Soaps

Just like I've settled on my top DE blades after a long evaluation period ... I think I've narrowed down my top 10 artisan shaving soaps I keep going back to. I'm not listing some tried and true that have been out there forever and might not be considered the artisan (i.e. Mitchell's Wool Fat, Haslinger, Klar, etc.)

Here are mine in order of preference. What are yours?

1. Mike's Natural Soaps:
I can NOT get a better shave than with Mike's. Period. Mike's with the Marco method is the grail thus far. The scents are always on point. The presentation could be improved. The tins rust and the labels aren't waterproof.

2. Barrister & Mann:
Always a good shave. Very balanced. Mixed bag for the scents to me, but Seville and Cheshire I keep coming back to over and over. The release schedule is not really my thing, but I understand why.

3. Cold River Soap Works:
Sort of the reverse of B&M for me. Better scents. Performance is just a tad beneath B&M for me, but still very good. Fantastic lather.

4. L & L Grooming:
Right in the mix of the top 3. Can't get enough of the Trismegistus. Just rock solid overall. Somewhat expensive, but there's a reason for that.

5. Stirling:
My first artisan and still overall "go to" in a pinch. I miss the previous version with the clay, but the new version is quite good. The scents are more consistent as well. Overall presentation has kicked it up a notch. I produce the easiest of lathers with Stirling. Always...

6. Sudsy Soapery:
Excellent stuff and looking forward to some other scents down the line.

7. Saponificio Varesino:
The only vegan soap in my top 10. Great scents and strong performance. On the expensive side, but worth it to me.

8. Mickey Lee Soapworks / Reef Point:
A tie for me. Similar performance for me. As in quite good, but just not quite to the level of the above for me. Scents are varied and interesting. Presentation is excellent.

9. Razorock / PAA:
Another tie for me. Great variety and very creative overall. Good but not great performance for me.

10. Ginger's Garden:
I only use the tallow from Ginger's and I find it to perform quite nicely. The scents are good, but I'd like them a little stronger for my taste.

For me it's:
1. Downeast Shaving Soap - Sebago Spice
2. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Speakeasy
3. Bain Amour Bath & Body Soap - Southern Gentleman
4. Tiki Bar Soap - The Captain

I'm about to take the plunge and order a couple of shaving soaps from Etsy.

My tops are:
1. Stirling. Scent variety and consistent performance at an incredible price make it my best overall value.
2. Route 66. It's right there for me.
3. Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. This one came out of nowhere and was a gamble buy. The low price is not an indicator of the value here. The scent game isn't as strong here, but the performance really works for me. Post shave feel is incredible.
4. Cold River Soap Works. Great, sophisticated scents, good performance.
5. Barrister & Mann. Interesting, creative scents, solid performance.
6. Henri Et Victoria. Cognac and Cubans alone gets marks for the scent.
7. RazoRock. I waffled on whether this fell under "artisan". Not quite the performance of the above, but solid nonetheless. The price and options give some great options.

Soaps I didn't consider "artisan" but would shake up the lineup if they were:
Tabac
La Toja
Arko

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The line between artisan and otherwise is still a bit of a mystery to me. Having said that:

Nuavia, the best scents and face feel.
MdC, simpler scents, but pure, and easy to lather.
B&M, complex scents, easy to lather and a bargain.
Mike's, a tremendous bargain and, like the above, a tin is very long lasting.
Eufros, very sophisticated scents and great lather.
Sudsy Soapery, tremendous lather but very mild scent.
Phoenix & Beau, very nice in lather and scent, but not the best in either.

I have others I enjoy, but I elected to cut it off here.

Tallow & Steel - Everybody finds a soap that just seems to work great for them. This is mine. My No. 1 soap right now.
Complex scents that don't go overboard.
Dr. Jon's - Long time fan of Dr. Jon's soaps. The reformulated Vol. 2 soaps are awesome. Some great scents.

Route 66 - Don't get enough love IMO. They just work great.

Turtleship Shave Co. - A new to me. Great ingredients and a great shave. I have the Pine. Could use a boost in the
strength department though. Very mild.

Lisa's Natural Herbal creations - Another new one to me. Got a bunch of samples. Performance and post shave are great. Still trying to find a scent that really appeals to me though.
B&M and L&L Grooming get honorable mentions from me. Performance is top notch, but I couldn't find a scent that worked for me. Great products though.

It's really amazing that we have so many great products to choose from.

worms.jpg

I notice that none of you mentioned Midnight & Two. Is that because you haven't tried them, or because you didn't like them?

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Hard to name 10,but below listed are my favorites in order.
1 Viking Soap & Cosmetic
2 Stirling
3 CRSW
4 L&L Grooming
5 Deluxe Shaving Co.
6 Barrister & Mann
7 Catie's Bubbles
8 Soap Commander
9 Mikes Natural
10 Micky Lee
I was hesitant to add Soponificio Varesino to a artisan list,honestly never looked into the brand that much but I received a couple SV soaps in a trade and was completely blown away.This is the soap I reach for when I want a trouble free darn fine shave!!!

It was part of the soap Passaround #2.

Soap Sample Passaround Box - Round 2

It is the highest rated soap from the box thus far, and after I tried it I concur. It is the best performing soap I have tried by far. The scent is a bit faint for my tastes, but others really seem to dig it.
proxy.php

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member
If I ever make a dent in my ridiculous collection, I will have to give it a go. I am not letting myself but anything (exception: Stirling Glacial when they release) until I work through some inventory.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Le Pére Lucien
Razorock
PAA
Viking- I predict this soap is going to blow up. It's starting to get some recognition

1. Le Pére Lucien - undisputed #1, tallow or veggie. For me, it has a slight edge over MdC, definitely much nicer after shave feel.
2. Mike's Natural
3. Wm. Newmann 1911 - the only glygerine soap i have, great soap imo... doesn't get much love here, dunno why
4. Catie's Bubbles
5. CRSW

Just like I've settled on my top DE blades after a long evaluation period ... I think I've narrowed down my top 10 artisan shaving soaps I keep going back to. I'm not listing some tried and true that have been out there forever and might not be considered the artisan (i.e. Mitchell's Wool Fat, Haslinger, Klar, etc.)

Here are mine in order of preference. What are yours?

1. Mike's Natural Soaps:
I can NOT get a better shave than with Mike's. Period. Mike's with the Marco method is the grail thus far. The scents are always on point. The presentation could be improved. The tins rust and the labels aren't waterproof.

2. Barrister & Mann:
Always a good shave. Very balanced. Mixed bag for the scents to me, but Seville and Cheshire I keep coming back to over and over. The release schedule is not really my thing, but I understand why.

3. Cold River Soap Works:
Sort of the reverse of B&M for me. Better scents. Performance is just a tad beneath B&M for me, but still very good. Fantastic lather.

4. L & L Grooming:
Right in the mix of the top 3. Can't get enough of the Trismegistus. Just rock solid overall. Somewhat expensive, but there's a reason for that.

5. Stirling:
My first artisan and still overall "go to" in a pinch. I miss the previous version with the clay, but the new version is quite good. The scents are more consistent as well. Overall presentation has kicked it up a notch. I produce the easiest of lathers with Stirling. Always...

6. Sudsy Soapery:
Excellent stuff and looking forward to some other scents down the line.

7. Saponificio Varesino:
The only vegan soap in my top 10. Great scents and strong performance. On the expensive side, but worth it to me.

8. Mickey Lee Soapworks / Reef Point:
A tie for me. Similar performance for me. As in quite good, but just not quite to the level of the above for me. Scents are varied and interesting. Presentation is excellent.

9. Razorock / PAA:
Another tie for me. Great variety and very creative overall. Good but not great performance for me.

10. Ginger's Garden:
I only use the tallow from Ginger's and I find it to perform quite nicely. The scents are good, but I'd like them a little stronger for my taste.

We are pretty much of the same mind. Except I would move L and L up and CRSW down.. As far as Stirling, still cant get it to work for me. I've been using Mikes for 4 years and never saw a rusty can. Would like to see a packaging change though.

Top Bottom