What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
How is DF? I have a couple tins but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

It's good stuff. Nice quality VA. I think it needs 2-3 years in the cellar to smooth out a little more, but it's going to be excellent with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally warm enough to spend some time outside with a pipe. SG Best Brown Flake in a Brigham

20170325_123214.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Last night I had a bowl of 2 year old Penzance while reflecting on Mary (Carmen) Rodriquez, my mother in law. She passed at the age of 91 yesterday. The last few years had been a hard fight for her- she was tired. RIP Carmen

Last night I had a bowl of 2 year old Penzance while reflecting on Mary (Carmen) Rodriquez, my mother in law. She passed at the age of 91 yesterday. The last few years had been a hard fight for her- she was tired. RIP Carmen

Sorry for your family's loss, Owen. She lived a long life. RIP.

Forget the poker. That knife!!! Tell me about it...

Tojiro ITK Petty. My second J-knife. Took the grill paint finish off of it and polished it up. White #1 if I recall. It and it's 240 counterpart have been project knives for the past couple years.

My Hiromotos that I got rehandled from Dave Martell with a spa treatment are my daily knives. I got them in the last group buy a few years ago.

I'm on double 2 of 5 while the bosses are both on vacay. And I wondered if cube cutting the ODF flakes would be less of a headache for me instead of running out a couple flakes. All my knives JUST came off the stones and the ITK seemed best size for the job.

The knife is inexpensive but does decent if you can get them without too much warpage from the factory. They can patina weirdly but mine is doing ok. They have a cheapish carbon cladding that is fairly reactive. I don't notice it with the petty as much as the gyuto. The tip is thin and I've chipped this one three or four times. The biggest was the whole tip breaking off and losing probably 5mm of blade edge.

I don't know if I've posted a picture of my knife roll here or not. If I did it was years ago and has changed a bit.

Hirsute

Tojiro ITK Petty. My second J-knife. Took the grill paint finish off of it and polished it up. White #1 if I recall. It and it's 240 counterpart have been project knives for the past couple years.

My Hiromotos that I got rehandled from Dave Martell with a spa treatment are my daily knives. I got them in the last group buy a few years ago.

I'm on double 2 of 5 while the bosses are both on vacay. And I wondered if cube cutting the ODF flakes would be less of a headache for me instead of running out a couple flakes. All my knives JUST came off the stones and the ITK seemed best size for the job.

The knife is inexpensive but does decent if you can get them without too much warpage from the factory. They can patina weirdly but mine is doing ok. They have a cheapish carbon cladding that is fairly reactive. I don't notice it with the petty as much as the gyuto. The tip is thin and I've chipped this one three or four times. The biggest was the whole tip breaking off and losing probably 5mm of blade edge.

I don't know if I've posted a picture of my knife roll here or not. If I did it was years ago and has changed a bit.

Thanks for the write up! Losing a tip must suck. Hasn't happened to me yet but you're using your knives a hell of a lot more than me, and using them much harder. I love J knifes, and need to add a Petty. Versatile size, but I usually pull out my Shun utility knife which is a little larger.

Thanks for the write up! Losing a tip must suck. Hasn't happened to me yet but you're using your knives a hell of a lot more than me, and using them much harder. I love J knifes, and need to add a Petty. Versatile size, but I usually pull out my Shun utility knife which is a little larger.

The major tip break happened when I hit a bone in what should have been a deboned chicken thigh. It took about ten minutes to grind the spine down to make it work. And it wasn't the knife's fault I hit a bone.

The Tojiro is a tallish petty. The Hiromoto is shorter at the heel but longer. Both are decent but for paring knives I might prefer a European style thin and short. I grew up a quarter mile from my grandma in one direction and great grandma a quarter mile in the other. The only knife I ever saw them use was a parer. I may have picked up some habits bit anything they did with a pairing knife I can do with a 270 with assymetrical grind! Peeling apples with the big knife is always a great party trick...

Hirsute

MacBaren Mixture Flake in my Peterson Rosslare blasted billiard.
proxy.php

Top Bottom