What's new

Thanks All: a comparison of 3 razors (R89 vs Fatip Gentile vs ATT M1)

Yeah what he said lol. Either way it's a great shave and a brut with a few days growth. If I use this razor on a daily basis I'm using a very smooth blade though.

That's great! I wish that I had going what you have going. I'm on my second daily DE razor and haven't yet succeeded in close daily shaves with no irritation. I'm currently using an EJ Kelvin, but I have a Bevel razor on deck as my next razor. It is quite massive with a longer handle, so connecting with our mechanics discussion, the Bevel ought to provide a "smoother ride" with its greater mass and mass moment of inertia, especially if there is no fundamental friction issue with the plating. :thumbup1:

That's great! I wish that I had going what you have going. I'm on my second daily DE razor and haven't yet succeeded in close daily shaves with no irritation. I'm currently using an EJ Kelvin, but I have a Bevel razor on deck as my next razor. It is quite massive with a longer handle, so connecting with our mechanics discussion, the Bevel ought to provide a "smoother ride" with its greater mass and mass moment of inertia, especially if there is no fundamental friction issue with the plating. :thumbup1:
No the Maggard lines chrome finish to the untrained eye is negleigible to the Muhle so it's not a plating issue. I will add that an extra slick soap like clubman or proraso performs much much better than say soap commander with that setup. I unfairly dissed on soap commander yesterday and I went back and used it with the aluminum head and lo and behold it was awesome. Who'd have thought.

No the Maggard lines chrome finish to the untained eye is negleigible to the Muhle so it's not a plating issue.

My bad. I just meant that I hope that I don't have the same fundamental friction issue with the Bevel head as I have with the shiny smooth chrome of the EJ DE89 head. Either way, the extra mass and mass moment of inertia will hopefully provide a smooth ride.

My bad. I just meant that I hope that I don't have the same fundamental friction issue with the Bevel head as I have with the the shiny smooth chrome of the EJ DE89 head.
Yeah I got ya. The Muhle and EJ have the exact same head but then again I just stay with certain soaps and use certain blades. The Muhle performs very well with an Astra sp as to where the heavy razor performs very well with the dorco 300 and the aluminum does well with just about anything. Well except the sp301,,,that was like shaving with a cheese grater.

Yeah I got ya. The Muhle and EJ have the exact same head but then again I just stay with certain soaps and use certain blades. The Muhle performs very well with an Astra sp as to where the heavy razor performs very well with the dorco 300 and the aluminum does well with just about anything. Well except the sp301,,,that was like shaving with a cheese grater.

Ouch! :laugh: Your description of shaving with a cheese grater reminds me of daily shaving with cartridges. I sufferred through that, not knowing any better, and cherished not having to shave on Saturdays. Anyway, about your points about blades, are you saying that you can use duller (not as sharp) blades with heavier razors? If so, that makes sense to me from a mechanics perspective.

So checking in after a couple of months...the M1 is now my favorite razor and the one that gives me consistently the best and closest shave with zero irritation. I could not have done it without you. Thanks so much and persistence does pay off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="

My final grades on all three razors are as follows:

Muehle R89: very mild, very smooth, not particularly efficient
ATT M1: low-level aggressive, smooth, very efficient
Fatip Testina Gentile: low-level aggressive, ultra smooth, efficient

So overall, I would say that the ATT and Fatip are now my daily drivers and that the Muehle will be relegated to the back of the bench.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me explore these razors. I am now interested in trying an OC to see if I can handle something far more aggressive than the above razors. Stay tuned.[/QUOTE]

My FaTip Gentile just arrived ...... same opinion, not as nice a finish as Muhle but very gentle to shave with and as low risk as a cartridge if in a hurry to shave and run.

[QUOTE="

My final grades on all three razors are as follows:

Muehle R89: very mild, very smooth, not particularly efficient
ATT M1: low-level aggressive, smooth, very efficient
Fatip Testina Gentile: low-level aggressive, ultra smooth, efficient

So overall, I would say that the ATT and Fatip are now my daily drivers and that the Muehle will be relegated to the back of the bench.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me explore these razors. I am now interested in trying an OC to see if I can handle something far more aggressive than the above razors. Stay tuned.

My FaTip Gentile just arrived ...... same opinion, not as nice a finish as Muhle but very gentle to shave with and as low risk as a cartridge if in a hurry to shave and run.[/QUOTE]

I actually ordered the one with Olive handle now, too. I love the Fatip and on a quick weekday shave, I like it even better than the ATT on most occasions.

I actually ordered the one with Olive handle now, too. I love the Fatip and on a quick weekday shave, I like it even better than the ATT on most occasions.[/QUOTE]

I'm feeling better now because I can't afford both a Rockwell 6S and an ATT, and the Rockwell 6S is winning on the impulse buy gene.
The FaTip seem excellent value, and the finish is probably that they'd rather keep costs down and use brass than spend extra on finish, unlike the Muhle which is no expense spared on finish but is zamac.

Interesting thread. Of the 3 razors, I only have the Muhle R89 and found it to be a little too mild for me. But I added 2 shims and it transformed into a razor that is outstanding for my face and whiskers, a perfect blend of comfort and closeness of shave.

Interesting thread. Of the 3 razors, I only have the Muhle R89 and found it to be a little too mild for me. But I added 2 shims and it transformed into a razor that is outstanding for my face and whiskers, a perfect blend of comfort and closeness of shave.

Have you tried using a blade such as Feather?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The "grab" or friction from the head is still there, but the extra mass of the long heavy handle increases the mass moment of inertia. More mass moment of inertia increases the resistance to rotational changes from external forces. The longer heavier handle provides more resistance to rotational changes caused by frictional forces at the head. This means that the same frictional forces have less of an effect on rotation. In other words, the longer heavier handle provides a "smoother ride" with respect to rotation around the grip of your fingers. It also provides a "smoother ride" with respect to translation, too. More mass provides more resistance to translation (moving left, right, etc.) changes from external forces.

Physics major or engineer?

Funny!

Hey, I have two techs. One is like new. The other is not, rather beat up. The latter shaves better. Is it because the head is no longer smooth?

Top Bottom