What's new

S&W K38 Masterpiece - maybe

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Again if the electo penciling is shallow, take a hardened steel rod such as the non fluted end of a drill bit, and burnish it using a little oil as lubricant, by simply rubbing it with a good bit of pressure. It should smooth out penciling dents and make it less noticeable.

Now, that's useful. Hopefully, that's what I'll try ...

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that YOU should engrave it yourself, but of course I don't know your talents in that area! LOL!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that YOU should engrave it yourself, but of course I don't know your talents in that area! LOL!

I was picturing that Cheech & Chong movie, where Cheech earns points in jail by "fixing" a gangsters tat with a hilarious modification ...

Going to try the burnishing trick, hopefully, in a few weeks.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am more confident about the Brownell's Oxpho bluing - have used that before.

The EP does look shallow; just a scratch.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dangit! Missed this one. The family's keeping it.

Screws were all buggered, though; and that had me thinking. One should not take the sideplate off a S&W, lest one not have tools and knowledge thereof.

:001_cool: Not like I don't have other K-frame(s) ...

AA

Screws were all buggered, though; and that had me thinking. One should not take the sideplate off a S&W, lest one not have tools and knowledge thereof.

AA
Like proper fitting gunsmith type screwdriver ( parallel sides to screwdriver blade), plus a small hammer, nylon, hard rubber, or rawhide. Remove screws then tap side of frame opposite of sideplate to loosen and remove it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow...too bad Mike. But I'm sure another one will turn up, possibly in a bit better shape. I also hate buggered up sideplate screws.

Oh, Jeff...after you bugger up the screws getting them out with a regular screwdriver, what about using the same screwdriver to pry off the sideplate? :scared:

AA

You're so perceptive and you gave all an important lesson in sharing your observations here.

Wow...too bad Mike. But I'm sure another one will turn up, possibly in a bit better shape. I also hate buggered up sideplate screws.

Oh, Jeff...after you bugger up the screws getting them out with a regular screwdriver, what about using the same screwdriver to pry off the sideplate? :scared:[/QUOTE

I learned not to pry it off, but to turn it over and tap with a non marring hammer, or possibly the butt end of a screwdriver. Buggered up screws can be replaced. My K 38 was purchased new in May of 1968 and still looks like it came out of the box.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One that got away:

full

The guy was a serious fisherman; wonder if the pistol got dunked. That would be a good reason for opening the sideplate with existing tools ... meh.

AA

Is that the "one that got away" that has been the subject of this thread?

Finish isn't as bad as what I was envisioning.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes; the electro-initials are on the other side.

I'd have given $225 for it! Despite the live rust.

Aarrgh.

AA

I would have as well and then gleefully taken it to the range to give it a workout. That rust seen in the photo would die. The remaining finish would come out looking pretty attractive. The side plate screws could be a lot worse. I was envisioning really chewed. That revolver has appeal yet and if it has a good bore, it'd be accurate and a rewarding range companion.

I made an offer on an old Colt once and the seller changed her mind. Five or more years later, I accidentally ran into her and she changed her mind. Perhaps the revolver will again become available to you.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It has a happy ending; sort of. I did always want (in the 1970s) a 6" K-38 Target Masterpiece- so much so, that in the 1980s, I went ahead and got the even-better K-frame Combat Masterpiece in 6" ... in the even-better stainless steel iteration (Mod. 66).

It got little love in the autopistol decades of 1911s, Glocks and SiGs that followed, but these days revolvers are back in vogue - and carry - at least with me.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Was this one a Target or Combat Mike?

This one was a classic, 1954-made K-38 Masterpiece (Target).

It had been defaced, had live rust, buggered screws ... and I could have rescued it! :2guns:

Hopefully the family member will. Heard he's a gun guy.

It is holy work to repair and restore old neglected firearms; it's also good when one remains in the family. So.

AA

Top Bottom