What's new

2017 Formula 1 season thread

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One month, baby.

proxy.php

I want to make a concerted effort to watch and learn about F1 this year. I've always been interested but have not devoted any energy into learning more about this auto sport. Growing up I the southeastern US (yes, a NASCAR fan who attends several races a year) I enjoy all motorsports. I'm going to be following this thread and hope that you F1 aficionados do not mind my questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say the new McLaren looks pretty good - I had totally forgotten the old colours, very smart. Hope it drives as good as it looks!

ouch

I want to make a concerted effort to watch and learn about F1 this year. I've always been interested but have not devoted any energy into learning more about this auto sport. Growing up I the southeastern US (yes, a NASCAR fan who attends several races a year) I enjoy all motorsports. I'm going to be following this thread and hope that you F1 aficionados do not mind my questions.

I'll watch two guys racing down a snow bank on lunch trays. NASCAR is a hoot (I think they had a race yesterday :001_rolle) but there are a lot of differences with F1, which may be loosely described as a competition between not only drivers but engineers with virtually unlimited budgets. The forces generated in accelerating, turning, and braking are amazing, and the two second pit stops are a marvel.

Have fun! With some major rules change in place this season, we're all starting fresh.

After seeing all the car launches I was in great disagreement with the general paddock sentiment that the new cars would look more aggressive and "sexy". Personally I thought they just looked weird with the shark fins and the tightly package body sitting on top of the slab like floor. Now that I've seen a bit of the first testing session I might have to revise my initial thoughts. That McLaren looks good at speed in side profile. Being a McL (and Alonso) fan I hope this isn't the only good thing I'll have to say about it this year.

I still miss the great F1 days of the late 70's, all through the 80's and into the early 90's when drivers made the greatest of difference in a car.

However the technology of today is fantastic to behold. I can only imagine how deadly the cars would be if all the rules and constraints were lifted, people like Adrian Newey would have a field day.

Anyone remember the theory of the REd Bull X2010? I wish they would have built it for exhibition.

Red Bull X2010 - Wikipedia

Ok tires...I've been following some of the practice sessions and noticed that there were several colors of writing on the tires. These colors indicate different compounds correct? And teams, or is it correct to refer to them as constructors, are required to run multiple compounds at each event? Noob questions, I know, just wanting to make sure I am making sense it of what I am reading/learning online. Thanks gents.

It would be nice if more drivers could be involved in the leadership points and not just one or two the entire season. My wife and I stopped watching when Kimi went to FIA.

We do like it.

Nothing better than watching these magnificent marvels of automotive technology zip around world famous tracks like Monza, Spa, Silverstone and Monaco...... Awesome!

ouch

Here we go! I am so stoked.

Hope there are at least three competitive teams this season. Can't McLaren give Alonso another 100 horses?

Personally, I think they've all been sandbagging up to this point. This will be by 40th year following every race.

Hamilton & Mercedes leading the charge again at Australia. Looks like my boys over at Ferrari will be following again. Still just the first race of the season about to start, but still disconcerting as Mercedes drops the hammer in qualifying....:huh:

Oh Yeah!!! Ferrari takes top spot....... Vettel was masterful. Even though Mercedes gambled, they gambled wrong.... We got ourselves a fight between 2 heavyweights....!

Top Bottom