What's new

Received my 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable in the mail

What a great razor. It's in very good shape and the doors open perfectly. Shaved with it on setting 4 for the first time using a fresh new Polsilver Super Iridium blade. Butter smooth after I was done. Best first shave with a razor. Much better than my Gillette ball end Tech. Photos below.

20170301_105523.jpg 20170301_105540.jpg 20170301_105608.jpg

Yeah, the Slim is quite an instrument. Great feel in the hand because of the heft, and a handle that ensures it won't be slipping around while you shave, which is my problem with the Ball-end Tech.

Congrats. I have really enjoyed mine since acquiring it a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Slim is quite an instrument. Great feel in the hand because of the heft, and a handle that ensures it won't be slipping around while you shave, which is my problem with the Ball-end Tech.
I never had a problem with gripping my Tech but it is too mild and light. I only keep it because it was my grandfather's.

Nice score. Had my first shave with a Slim myself at the weekend and wish I could also say that it was best first shave with a razor. But I sliced my finger putting the blade in and I should have given up there, it was just one of those shaves where everything went wrong. But I've loved both shaves with it since and have dialled it up a notch every shave (currently on 5)

Did you have to clean the razor or was it that nice and shiny on delivery?

Glad you like it so far, I've used a Slim off and on for about 6 months now and it's really a fantastic razor. It's also fun to play with the different settings to see what works best for you.

Glad for you ! It was my first razor that i used for 5 months. It's a great vintage instrument. Now i am using it in rotation with Merkur's Futur and Progress. Yes, i am an adjustable razor men ! I hope you have as much fun with your slim as i do.

I've used my Slim a few times and am married to it for March as part of the fixed four. It's quite a nice razor, already outshining my favorite (EJ de86), and yours looks to be in great condition. I use 3 or 4 but will venture to 5 when I'm more comfortable with it.

I also have a 1964 Slim and it is my favorite! I consistently get great shaves, so much so that my "rotation" is more accurately some razor, then the Slim, a different razor, then the Slim, etc! Yours looks great in the photos. Congratulations!

Nice score. Had my first shave with a Slim myself at the weekend and wish I could also say that it was best first shave with a razor. But I sliced my finger putting the blade in and I should have given up there, it was just one of those shaves where everything went wrong. But I've loved both shaves with it since and have dialled it up a notch every shave (currently on 5)

Did you have to clean the razor or was it that nice and shiny on delivery?
It was already in excellent condition. I did clean it with scrubbing bubble and a toothbrush. Then soaked it in barbicide. Since, I have used Colgate baking soda toothpaste to try and polish it more but It's already as good as it gets.

Congratulations! I have a '65 Slim and generally use it between setting 3-6, depending on the blade and beard growth. If faced with a decision to pick just one razor to keep, I would have a hard time. But I believe it would be the Slim. Enjoy.

Congratulations! I also have a 1964 Slim and it's my second-favourite razor. It's currently in my rotation and it's delivering wonderfully smooth shaves with no effort or irritation. I use mine on 6 then drop it down to 2/3 for touch-ups. Enjoy finding out what works for you.

Congrats, a really beautiful specimen you got there! - I'm sure you'll love it also in the long term. My ´62 is a regular part of my rotation since I got it a few months ago.

Then, if you get curious, you could try a Fatboy. Truth be told it is not that different, though, and in this way it does not merit the significant added cost. But I personally find it slightly better in terms of grip (the thicker handle) and weight (is ever so slightly heavier). ...Or maybe I am just trying to justify to myself that I simply had to get one...:001_rolle

I find that these Adjustables are the most beautiful and cool industry design items ever made.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom