What's new

Ark "burnishing" question

Being shiny actually works against it being effective, in that its effect is removing material. The reason we try to wear it in and get that shiny effect, is that for our purposes as long as it removes material fast enough to avoid deteriorating the edge and reasonably evenly across the blade face, which a good Arkansas Stone will almost always do if it's clean, we can get higher levels of polish on our edges, with a well-worn-in stone.

How your stone is now as you describe it, is actually ideal for using it in many applications with other tools. It's just not what razor honers are looking for.

Ah so, very informative - thanks. I'll be putting some elbow grease into this one soon.

Right, polishing the surface of a stone slows it right down, but for razor use that's what you want, because in addition this means that the scratches are no longer narrow and deep - they become wider and shallower which produces a more uniform edge/apex and that = more comfort and keener edge. So for knife use, leave the surface coarser, for razors polish it up a bit. This is why many will lap both sides at differing grit levels and use one side for knives and one for razors.

I have a couple of questions. I have burnished my trans ark up to 2k w/d paper and I find that even with oil it gets sticky quick. Last night I put wd 40 on it and it helped a ton but it still kinda gets sticky. My question is, how does one know if their ark is clogged up?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've mentioned this before and will bring it up again...

I flatten both sides of blacks and trannies and burnish only one side.

Keep the other side refreshed and hone with Norton Oil or Smiths Honing Solution for cutting.

Use the burnished side for finishing. Norton Oil, Smith Solution or water on the burnished side.

Being shiny actually works against it being effective, in that its effect is removing material. The reason we try to wear it in and get that shiny effect, is that for our purposes as long as it removes material fast enough to avoid deteriorating the edge and reasonably evenly across the blade face, which a good Arkansas Stone will almost always do if it's clean, we can get higher levels of polish on our edges, with a well-worn-in stone.

How your stone is now as you describe it, is actually ideal for using it in many applications with other tools. It's just not what razor honers are looking for.
Best explanation I've read. Now I get it.

I've mentioned this before and will bring it up again...

I flatten both sides of blacks and trannies and burnish only one side.

Keep the other side refreshed and hone with Norton Oil or Smiths Honing Solution for cutting.

Use the burnished side for finishing. Norton Oil, Smith Solution or water on the burnished side.
Good tip. I'll do the same.

Top Bottom