What's new

Oiling an old strop

Need suggestion for oiling an old strop....i suspect something light like grapeseed or almond oil perhaps?

The straight-razor supply shops sell "strop dressing". That's what I'd try, first. I've used it sparingly, and it seems to keep strops in good shape, so maybe it will work for restoring an old one.

Neatsfoot oil might be worth trying.

I'd stay away from vegetable-based oils (including nut oils), and _absolutely_ stay away from mineral oils.

I'm not sure how silicone-based oils would affect old leather. Might be worth a try.

. Charles

Try some glycerine. Cheap in the pharmacy section. Works very well.

I have tried glycerin on a test strop and personally did not like how it changed the draw, I have had success with a product called Bick 4 from Bickmore, I have no idea what the ingredients are but it absorbs very easily and did not affect the draw much on the strops I have used it on.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Subscribed. I have a red Imp strop that needs bringing back to life.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I've used the Dovo yellow paste with success, over many weeks. I moisten the strop pretty well and apply the yellow paste uniformly to the back of the strop, then a lesser amount to the face. Work/flex the leather.

I've also tried Ballistol with good results, same method, wet the strop, put some Ballistol on your hands and rub into the strop as evenly as you can. Work/flex the leather.

Cheers, Steve

Get some Ballistol!! It is a great leather treatment, gun cleaner, rust remover & general light lube. It works & a little goes a long way.
I treated both my shell strops with Ballistol & they just both give a very smooth edge & shave.

Slawman

I rub them down heavy with saddle soap, wipe it, repeat until they stop sucking it up over the coarse of a day or two. Seems to work well enough. The only times a strop I've restored fails me is when I discover paste remnants on it (ruined strop in other words, you NEVER get that stuff off).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Neats foot oil is what I used to use exclusively. The last batch of strops I made, I made up a witches brew of neatsfoot, gun and reel oil, jojoba oil, and I think a few drops each of motor oil and marvelous mystery oil. Probably some other stuff too. I had a lot of new leather to treat with multiple treatments, and didn't have enough neats foot to gitter done. I suppose a bit of bacon grease would have been a good additive. Bacon does go with everything, right? But seriously, I prefer neats foot for reconditioning old leather. It is tried and true, proven track record. Many old timers used to dress their strops with shave lather, and I suppose a tallow based soap would do the job nicely. Most important thing is don't overdo it. It is easy to put some on. It is harder to take some back off.

Probably more important than what you use, is how you use it. Rub it in good. I mean really good. Palm of your hand should be pretty thin when you get done lol. A few drops per session is enough. Repeat daily as necessary. If it is a really badly dried out strop, thin your oil with some naptha or acetone or something, and lightly soak the back of the strop. Just darken it. You can apply with a rag dipped in your magic brew, no need to rub. The solvent will quickly evaporate, leaving the oil deeply and nicely distributed.

I would recommend neatsfoot oil and in tiny amounts over several days. Use three or four drops of neatsfoot oil rubbed between your palms and then vigorously palm rub your strop. Then let it sit for a couple days and recheck. The key here is to give the leather time to soak in the oil and to not use to much. Then just short of well conditioned I use a homemade mixture of mostly neatsfoot oil with a little beeswax and carnuba in it. Again the key is a LOT of rubbing and a tiny bit of conditioner. Keep telling yourself that less is more.

The straight-razor supply shops sell "strop dressing". That's what I'd try, first. I've used it sparingly, and it seems to keep strops in good shape, so maybe it will work for restoring an old one.

Neatsfoot oil might be worth trying.

I'd stay away from vegetable-based oils (including nut oils), and _absolutely_ stay away from mineral oils.

I'm not sure how silicone-based oils would affect old leather. Might be worth a try.

. Charles
+1 for neatsfoot oil

Top Bottom